Industry in Slovakia

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 66 , Oct 4, 2008
      I just ran across some references to PCB contamination in the
      Mihalovce - Strazske area due to carelessness in manufacture and
      handling between 1959 and 1984 and thought a few of you might be
      interested.

      "t has been documented that PCB levels in the Slovak human population
      are higher than those found in other countries. Several times higher
      PCB content in comparison with other districts has been found in human
      adipose tissue, blood and milk samples collected in the Michalovce
      district."

      "Especially during the first half of the production period large
      amounts of PCBs were released into the environment due to poor
      technological measures. An improper disposal from the Chemko plant via
      release of effluent directly into the Laborec River resulted in
      long-term contamination of sediment and subsequently of the artificial
      lake Zemplinska Sirava"
      http://www.pcbrisk.sk/why%20michalovce.htm

      If you do a Google book search ( www.books.google.com ) for michalovce
      pcb you should arrive at page 255 of "Persistent Organic Pollutants"
      if the topic is of interest.

      Personally I am curious about the residual pollution from the gold and
      silver mines that made Hungary so rich in the last 400 years. I
      haven't found much; we have talked about the topic briefly before.

      Ron
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 66 of 66 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Greg - I would love to try that Kolace!

        i am sending you the contact for the Colorado Slovak newsletter in another e mail  - I have a dozen members from Colorado .

        helene