Re: Frank goes west

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2008
      > why the "uf in "zlatufka"

      I'll split it in two: A) [u]; and B) [v].

      A) This [u] from a narrowed long [o'] does occur in places in East
      Slovak (in West SK, too, and in Czech -- stul, dum, for "table,"
      "house"), but as Helen says:

      > we would have said "zlatofka" or "zlatouka"

      ... it is not widespread and not always consistent. It is typical of
      north-eastern Spis, for instance (and I don't mean the Goral dialects
      there).

      > seemed to me that the eastern dialects picked up some Polish

      What would be the grounds to assume that things were "picked up from"
      when there are two possibilities -- either "picked up from" or
      parallel development? Polish linguists determined decades ago that
      there was parallel development in varieties of East Slovak and Polish,
      not borrowing, which is limited to a few lexical items.

      B) The [v]--[w] alternation is quite common in East Slovak (Central
      Spis tends to have [v]--[f], it occurs in other places, too).
      [v]--[f] is common especially in West Slovak.

      Martin
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2008
        > the idea that Eastern Slovak and Czech had a closer resemblance
        > than Central Slovak.

        I agree, Ron, they do (from an etymological perspective, few Slovaks
        would think of them that way casually). What I wondered about was the
        source of information that some argued during the negotiations in the
        1840s (or possibly at another time) that, therefore, Eastern Slovak
        should become Standard Slovak.