RE: [Slovak-World] Frank goes west

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2008
      They started about two years ago as a Slovak Folklor Radio- and they would broadcast up till 6 pm EST- or midnight, thier time. I was supposed to join a while ago, but there was no way for them to broadcast at 2.am thier time... but now they are 24/7!

      You can hear them on www.jankohrasko.sk, and also browse around thier calendar and website.  They are the folklor center for Slovakia now, which is a LONG way from where they started! and in JUST TWO SHORT YEARS!!!!
      Ben

      From: Armata, Joseph R <armata+@pitt. edu>
      To: "Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com" <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 8:53 AM

      Helen, I'm really enjoying this story! What an interesting window on
      the past.

      Now for a techie language question - why the "uf in "zlatufka" (instead
      of zlatovka = a gold coin)? I'm familiar with that from Polish, where
      closed "o"s are pronounced "u" (and "i" in Ukrainian), and "v" before
      voiceless consonants is pronounced "f" by devoicing. Standard Slovak
      doesn't do either; do some Saris dialects do both of those? (I know some
      western or central dialects of Slovak would pronounce it "zlatowka" - or
      is that standard Slovak too?)

      The online Saris dialect dictionary lists both zlatovka and zlatofka,
      so it looks like devoicing happens, but no zlatufka. Have you noticed
      other examples of these features in his dialect? Or maybe this was just
      one word he picked up from the Poles he was hanging out with.

      Would your mother have said zlatufka? Martin, Ben, any thoughts?

      Joe

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2008
        > the idea that Eastern Slovak and Czech had a closer resemblance
        > than Central Slovak.

        I agree, Ron, they do (from an etymological perspective, few Slovaks
        would think of them that way casually). What I wondered about was the
        source of information that some argued during the negotiations in the
        1840s (or possibly at another time) that, therefore, Eastern Slovak
        should become Standard Slovak.