Re: [Slovak-World] Frank goes west

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2008
      HELEN!!!! I just found a book by Oskar Elsek- in English- but a MUST HAVE for the LC!
       http://www.amadeo.sk/NewAMADEO/ODKAZY/1490.htm#osprav

      Fujara- the Slovak Queen of European Flutes

      I trust almost anything this man writes as he, along with Dr. Bernard Garaj and Dr. Ivan Macak, is one of the Triumvirate of Slovak Ethnomusicology.  I am trying to work out a way that this can be shipped to America.... the shop couldn't help me, and the fact that I still have a Slovak address where they can ship/hold stuff for me is the only reason I could order it.
      Ben

      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2008
        > the idea that Eastern Slovak and Czech had a closer resemblance
        > than Central Slovak.

        I agree, Ron, they do (from an etymological perspective, few Slovaks
        would think of them that way casually). What I wondered about was the
        source of information that some argued during the negotiations in the
        1840s (or possibly at another time) that, therefore, Eastern Slovak
        should become Standard Slovak.