RE: [Slovak-World] Frank goes west

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hi Joe,
      Martin is the best one to ask, of course (and I envy him!!!) BUT, what I know just from living there and doing folklor and having a wife who beats me "slovencinou" :-)

      The zlatovka (zlatowka) sound is a result of assimilation, and is not only central Slovak, but-as Slovak codefied by Stur based on these dialects- also pure, standard Slovak. I would reference the word for soup- polievka (poliewka sound) This "zlatofka" sound is very Saris/Spis/Zemplin (and Czech!). Zlatufka would NOT surprise me very much, as it always seemed to me that the eastern dialects picked up some Polish- especially Saris/Spis.
      I have had Babka make me poliefka, pour a kapurkova (last shot/drink) etc... but in Ocova, it would be polieuka (phonetically spelt) and they pour gangova. :-D

      I am sure, though, that Martin will be able to get you a better answer- as I fear slovak grammar. :-D Even if I use it every day, I am NOT one who is comfortable codefying it.

      On a different note, Radio JankoHrasko just asked me to be a DJ/moderator! Now, it is volunteer, but it is a BIG honor for me. It is a big thing in the world of Folklor to be chosen for this.. not to blow my own horn. But, as I consider you all as , if not family, then definately a close community- I just wanted to share!!! :-D I am going to start soon, but I would invite EVERYONE to listen to this internet radio- www.jankohrasko.sk
      They/we are also trying to perfect the idea of a weekly Slovak lesson- I will DEFINATELY let you know how that pans out!
      Ben

      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2008
        > the idea that Eastern Slovak and Czech had a closer resemblance
        > than Central Slovak.

        I agree, Ron, they do (from an etymological perspective, few Slovaks
        would think of them that way casually). What I wondered about was the
        source of information that some argued during the negotiations in the
        1840s (or possibly at another time) that, therefore, Eastern Slovak
        should become Standard Slovak.