Re: [Slovak-World] Help Please

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Dennis--

      From what I can gleen from my little Slovak/English translator, it works out to "How (what) be apartment justice". I didn't say it was great, but it's the best I've got. Most of the time, it's fairly useful, but sometimes it falls down. Lots of the words in Eastern Europe are a mixture of Slovak, Czech, Polish, Hungarian, Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Bulgarian... It can get very confusing sometimes. I've tried the online translators

      http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Slovak-Dictionary/

      and you might want to give it a look. At least it's free.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>: --------------

      I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
      Enlish/Slovak,

      Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.

      I am having trouble with this phrase......

      ako to má byt' správne?

      How? do? good?

      Thanks, dennis

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        Close.... but not quite, but impressive Slovak!!!!  "How can this be right" casts doubt-- and the sentence really asks,"How can this be done/I do this/say this/ correctly?"
        Caute!
        Ben

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          Here is the full E-mail from Božena.

          Dennis,

          teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
          I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
          /ako to má by správne?/

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
          <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

          > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
          > Enlish/Slovak,
          >
          > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
          >
          > I am having trouble with this phrase......
          >
          > ako to má byt' správne?
          >
          > How? do? good?
          >

          > Thanks, dennis

        • Dennis and Donna
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
            -Some time Yahoo changes the diacritics,sometimes not as you can see
            viewing the original post.

            <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

            > Here is the full E-mail from Božena.
            >
            > Dennis,
            >
            > teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
            > I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
            > /ako to má by správne?/
            >
            > > Božena,
            > >

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
            > <ddhalusker@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
            > > Enlish/Slovak,
            > >
            > > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
            > >
            > > I am having trouble with this phrase......
            > >
            > > ako to má byt' správne?
            > >
            > > How? do? good?
            > >

            > > Thanks, dennis

          • Dennis and Donna
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
              Yeah , I have apartment too?

              <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

              > Here is the full E-mail from Božena.
              >
              > Dennis,
              >
              > teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
              > I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
              > /ako to má by správne?/
              >
              > > Božena,
              > >

              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
              > <ddhalusker@> wrote:
              > >

              > > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
              > > Enlish/Slovak,
              > >
              > > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
              > >
              > > I am having trouble with this phrase......
              > >
              > > ako to má byt' správne?
              > >
              > > How? do? good?
              > >

              > > Thanks, dennis

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                Dennis,
                Right now I have alot to do, but next week I am going to the archives.

                (asking you to correct her...)
                How can I say this sentence correctly?
                Bozena

                <ddhalusker@ ...> wrote:

                > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
                > Enlish/Slovak,
                >
                > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
                >
                > I am having trouble with this phrase......
                >
                > ako to má byt' správne?
                >
                > How? do? good?
                >

                > Thanks, dennis

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Hi there,
                  in this case, "byt" is NOT apartment, but "to be." Slovak is fun, eh?
                  Ben