RE: [Slovak-World] Help Please

  • John Polko
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1 2:37 PM
      How can this be right?
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of Dennis and Donna
      Sent: October 1, 2008 5:26 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Help Please

      I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
      Enlish/Slovak,

      Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.

      I am having trouble with this phrase......

      ako to má byt' správne?

      How? do? good?

      Thanks, dennis

    • fbican@att.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1 5:38 PM
        Dennis--

        From what I can gleen from my little Slovak/English translator, it works out to "How (what) be apartment justice". I didn't say it was great, but it's the best I've got. Most of the time, it's fairly useful, but sometimes it falls down. Lots of the words in Eastern Europe are a mixture of Slovak, Czech, Polish, Hungarian, Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Estonian, Bulgarian... It can get very confusing sometimes. I've tried the online translators

        http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Slovak-Dictionary/

        and you might want to give it a look. At least it's free.

        Kindest regards,

        Skeeter

        -------------- Original message from "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>: --------------

        I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
        Enlish/Slovak,

        Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.

        I am having trouble with this phrase......

        ako to má byt' správne?

        How? do? good?

        Thanks, dennis

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1 8:23 PM
          Close.... but not quite, but impressive Slovak!!!!  "How can this be right" casts doubt-- and the sentence really asks,"How can this be done/I do this/say this/ correctly?"
          Caute!
          Ben

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2 3:31 PM
            Here is the full E-mail from Božena.

            Dennis,

            teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
            I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
            /ako to má by správne?/

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
            <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

            > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
            > Enlish/Slovak,
            >
            > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
            >
            > I am having trouble with this phrase......
            >
            > ako to má byt' správne?
            >
            > How? do? good?
            >

            > Thanks, dennis

          • Dennis and Donna
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2 3:32 PM
              -Some time Yahoo changes the diacritics,sometimes not as you can see
              viewing the original post.

              <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

              > Here is the full E-mail from Božena.
              >
              > Dennis,
              >
              > teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
              > I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
              > /ako to má by správne?/
              >
              > > Božena,
              > >

              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
              > <ddhalusker@> wrote:
              > >

              > > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
              > > Enlish/Slovak,
              > >
              > > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
              > >
              > > I am having trouble with this phrase......
              > >
              > > ako to má byt' správne?
              > >
              > > How? do? good?
              > >

              > > Thanks, dennis

            • Dennis and Donna
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2 3:34 PM
                Yeah , I have apartment too?

                <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                > Here is the full E-mail from Božena.
                >
                > Dennis,
                >
                > teraz mám ve¾a práce, budúci týždeò pôjdem do archívu.
                > I be busy presently, next week I go archives Prešov.
                > /ako to má by správne?/
                >
                > > Božena,
                > >

                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
                > <ddhalusker@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
                > > Enlish/Slovak,
                > >
                > > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
                > >
                > > I am having trouble with this phrase......
                > >
                > > ako to má byt' správne?
                > >
                > > How? do? good?
                > >

                > > Thanks, dennis

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2 9:14 PM
                  Dennis,
                  Right now I have alot to do, but next week I am going to the archives.

                  (asking you to correct her...)
                  How can I say this sentence correctly?
                  Bozena

                  <ddhalusker@ ...> wrote:

                  > I may have asked this before but can anyone recommend a "Good"
                  > Enlish/Slovak,
                  >
                  > Slovak/English dictionary? Mine is so small and incomplete.
                  >
                  > I am having trouble with this phrase......
                  >
                  > ako to má byt' správne?
                  >
                  > How? do? good?
                  >

                  > Thanks, dennis

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2 9:16 PM
                    Hi there,
                    in this case, "byt" is NOT apartment, but "to be." Slovak is fun, eh?
                    Ben