Re: [Slovak-World] New to Slovak World

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi, Jill!

      Go to the Czechoslovak Heritage Museum
      in the CSA Fraternal Life Home Office
      122 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook
      10-4 p.m. Mon-Fri; 630-472-0500

      Most of their collection is Czech rather than Slovak, but they do have some Slovak materials.  Includes heritage clothing.

      Margo

      From: jillbedadaniels <jill.daniels@ gmail.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] New to Slovak World
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 10:49 AM

      Hi,

      My name is Jill Beda Daniels. I wanted to join this group because my
      Father is first generation here and my 8 year old daughter is studying
      her heritage in school and has lots of questions we cannot answer.
      They do something neat at her school and have them dress in their
      heritage costumes. I have a couple of questions...

      1. Does anyone know a good resource for her (and me) to learn the
      Slovak history and traditions?
      2. Can anyone recommend a place I can go to purchase or borrow for her
      to wear a traditional Slovak costume on her "immigration" day, the day
      of her report?

      We are in La Grange, Illinois but my dad's family (Beda/Koval) are from
      Indiana.

      Thanks so much!

      Jill Daniels

    • arusm
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
        From what part of Slovakia your ancestors were from? What were your
        original ancestral surnames? I suppose that Beda would be Bejda,
        which was typical Rusyn surname in area of Rusyn town Medzilaborce.
        It is possible that your ancestors were Carpatho-Rusyn.

        Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm at yahoo.com

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "jillbedadaniels"