New to Slovak World

  • jillbedadaniels
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hi,

      My name is Jill Beda Daniels. I wanted to join this group because my
      Father is first generation here and my 8 year old daughter is studying
      her heritage in school and has lots of questions we cannot answer.
      They do something neat at her school and have them dress in their
      heritage costumes. I have a couple of questions...

      1. Does anyone know a good resource for her (and me) to learn the
      Slovak history and traditions?
      2. Can anyone recommend a place I can go to purchase or borrow for her
      to wear a traditional Slovak costume on her "immigration" day, the day
      of her report?

      We are in La Grange, Illinois but my dad's family (Beda/Koval) are from
      Indiana.

      Thanks so much!

      Jill Daniels
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008

        Jill, if you don't have a lot of time -- I'd suggest you check out this link, and then make the costume yourself -- you could purchase her a peasant-style blouse and basic dark skirt -- then sew fancy ribbon on both (maybe add a small 1/2 white apron over the skirt)  -- and make her a parta (the flowers/ribbons on the head) by gluing ribbons and flowers onto a large wide plastic headband -- or maybe a hair comb -- the old fashioned kind that hold a bridal veil onto your head.  Black boots woud suffice -- or just anklets and black mary jane shoes.

        Use this link for some basic ideas:

        http://www.uluv.sk/sk/galeria/dokumentacia-ludoveho-odevu/

        Take some photos and post them so we can see how it comes out.

        Caye (in Evergreen Park)

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "jillbedadaniels"
          <jill.daniels@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My name is Jill Beda Daniels. I wanted to join this group because
          my
          > Father is first generation here and my 8 year old daughter is
          studying
          > her heritage in school and has lots of questions we cannot answer.
          > They do something neat at her school and have them dress in their
          > heritage costumes. I have a couple of questions...
          >
          > 1. Does anyone know a good resource for her (and me) to learn the
          > Slovak history and traditions?
          > 2. Can anyone recommend a place I can go to purchase or borrow for
          her
          > to wear a traditional Slovak costume on her "immigration" day, the
          day
          > of her report?
          >
          > We are in La Grange, Illinois but my dad's family (Beda/Koval) are
          from
          > Indiana.
          >
          > Thanks so much!
          >
          > Jill Daniels

        • Dennis and Donna
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
            Ahoj Jill!

            Sometimes yahoo does funny things. (forget previous post).

            As you said, My Daughter is.......

            My Son Asked, "Where are we from?"......... What a can of worms ! It
            will fill your life.

            There is much to find on the web just surfing. It is not my area
            (Native Dress),

            but I have come across a few sites I will have to find again. When is
            your project due?

            Do zatra,

            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "jillbedadaniels"
            > jill.daniels@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > My name is Jill Beda Daniels. I wanted to join this group because
            > my
            > > Father is first generation here and my 8 year old daughter is
            > studying
            > > her heritage in school and has lots of questions we cannot answer.
            > > They do something neat at her school and have them dress in their
            > > heritage costumes. I have a couple of questions...
            > >
            > > 1. Does anyone know a good resource for her (and me) to learn the
            > > Slovak history and traditions?
            > > 2. Can anyone recommend a place I can go to purchase or borrow for
            > her
            > > to wear a traditional Slovak costume on her "immigration" day, the
            > day
            > > of her report?
            > >
            > > We are in La Grange, Illinois but my dad's family (Beda/Koval) are
            > from
            > > Indiana.
            > >
            > > Thanks so much!
            > >
            > > Jill Daniels

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
              Hey there,
              I can definately reference you to different things, but I never know where to start. I can make a CD of some great music if you like... and as for kroj, well- borrowing GOOD kroj is almost impossible in the USA. Helene has great stuff, but I am sure it isn't for rent...
              the uluv page is a great reference.
              Ben

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                Hi Jill,

                   I would be glad to send you the latest issue of Slovakia magazine which has really charming front and back full-color covers of Slovak tales created by a Slovak artist. Inside is a color spread of another naive folk painter and his rendition of village life long ago and another color page of our tour to Velka Lesna in June - some 25 people with roots there went to the village for the first time - the pictures show the folk dress ( i think you could make one for your daughter from the pictures) and the music and customs.

                   if you are interested let me know by direct e mail - i think the school programs are just super for learning about other cultures - i recall my son's some decades ago! It's great to involve and inspire the younger generation - after all they will be the ones to keep the precious heritage alive!

                helene
                helenezx@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Hi, Jill!

                  Go to the Czechoslovak Heritage Museum
                  in the CSA Fraternal Life Home Office
                  122 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook
                  10-4 p.m. Mon-Fri; 630-472-0500

                  Most of their collection is Czech rather than Slovak, but they do have some Slovak materials.  Includes heritage clothing.

                  Margo

                  helenezx@aol. com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
                    From what part of Slovakia your ancestors were from? What were your
                    original ancestral surnames? I suppose that Beda would be Bejda,
                    which was typical Rusyn surname in area of Rusyn town Medzilaborce.
                    It is possible that your ancestors were Carpatho-Rusyn.

                    Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm at yahoo.com