There really was a Frank Sakalsky!

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
      Details after lunch.

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008

        Dahm, just like a Reality Show, you cut to commercial just when it gets good.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
          I finally got to talk to the daughter of the fellow who "wrote" the book, Jozef Janek. The "manuscript" was a diary or journal that Frank had kept while he was here. Mr. Janek, who came from Frank's home town in 1968, got the manuscript from his brother in Slovakia. Frank was a distant relative, on the in-laws side. Jozef cleaned up the text, added a few explanatory words and phrases (this version of the dialect being from the 1880s and a bit antiquated), and worked with his daughter to find an illustrator, format the text, put it all together, and publish it themselves. The daughter said that they'd printed up about 500 copies that they donated to fraternal groups, the Matica slovenska, and friends. She's going to send me a copy for the LC collection. Except for Matica, we'll literally be the only library in the world with this book in its collections. I'll ask ehr to send a copy to the National Czech & Slovak Museum and Library in Cedar Rapids, too. (I never did find out how my local Slovak Society acquaintence heard about it or got it. I haven't gotten an answer to my email yet.)

          I told the daughter how we'd been enjoying the story and she seemed happy that it was being shared. I explained that I wasn't sure it was a real original because of some inconsistancies in the text. She wasn't sure about them, but said that I could email her with questions that she'd then forward to her father, and that if he couldn't answer them, he could ask some family members he's in e-contact with in Slovakia. I plan to ask about the start of Frank's travels to the U.S. (why would he start by travelling south to Obis~ovce) and about the "Czech" newspaper that was really standard Slovak. Is there anything else that I may have forgotten or that's piqued anyone's curiosity?

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
            That explains the difficulty in finding the book. So there are only 500 copies?
            Is there a way for people like us to get ahold of it? I just got some really good books today. :-)

            Ben

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
              She said that they'd get another copy printed up for LC. They figured they couldn't get a publisher interested in this book, so they self-published, using < lulu.com >. Is there much interest in buying a copy of this book? I have no idea what the cost would be.

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                you have ONE order sitting here-

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                  Just hit me that universities that have Slovak or Czech may be very interested too....
                  as well as universities there...
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008

                    yeah SO....?????

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                      Helen, et al,

                      I'm curious about Frank's friend Gejza.  I don't think it is a popular or common name in Slovakia.   My father's 1896 baptismal & birth record from Banska Bystrica  specifies his name as Gejza.  There are no other members of the family from 1710 to the present who had that name.

                      I would appreciate any comments or thoughts on the name.

                      Thanks,

                      Gil K.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008

                        Cool, my e-mails have been coming in late and out of order, so I apologize if my yeah SO message went out after some of you received this.

                        Thanks Helen, cool story, looking forward to more.

                        Caye

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                          I'll mention that.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                            I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                            Joe

                          • Gerald J. Sabo
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                              I ordered and just received a copy of the book. You can order it from website <http://www.lulu.com> for book and postage total of $11.00 and pay for it by credit card.
                              Jerry Sabo

                              > Cool, my e-mails have been coming in late and out of
                              > order, so I apologize if my yeah SO message went out
                              > after some of you received this.
                              >
                              > Thanks Helen, cool story, looking forward to more.
                              >

                              > Caye
                              >
                              > --- On Mon, 9/29/08, Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
                              > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] There really was a Frank
                              > Sakalsky!
                              > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
                              >
                              > I finally got to talk to the daughter of the fellow
                              > who "wrote" the book, Jozef Janek. The "manuscript"
                              > was a diary or journal that Frank had kept while he
                              > was here. Mr. Janek, who came from Frank's home town
                              > in 1968, got the manuscript from his brother in
                              > Slovakia. Frank was a distant relative, on the
                              > in-laws side. Jozef cleaned up the text, added a few
                              > explanatory words and phrases (this version of the
                              > dialect being from the 1880s and a bit antiquated),
                              > and worked with his daughter to find an illustrator,
                              > format the text, put it all together, and publish it
                              > themselves. The daughter said that they'd printed up
                              > about 500 copies that they donated to fraternal
                              > groups, the Matica slovenska, and friends. She's
                              > going to send me a copy for the LC collection.
                              > Except for Matica, we'll literally be the only
                              > library in the world with this book in its
                              > collections. I'll ask ehr to send a copy to the
                              > National Czech & Slovak Museum and Library in Cedar
                              > Rapids, too. (I
                              > never did find out how my local Slovak Society
                              > acquaintence heard about it or got it. I haven't
                              > gotten an answer to my email yet.)
                              >
                              > I told the daughter how we'd been enjoying the story
                              > and she seemed happy that it was being shared. I
                              > explained that I wasn't sure it was a real original
                              > because of some inconsistancies in the text. She
                              > wasn't sure about them, but said that I could email
                              > her with questions that she'd then forward to her
                              > father, and that if he couldn't answer them, he
                              > could ask some family members he's in e-contact with
                              > in Slovakia. I plan to ask about the start of
                              > Frank's travels to the U.S. (why would he start by
                              > travelling south to Obis~ovce) and about the "Czech"
                              > newspaper that was really standard Slovak. Is there
                              > anything else that I may have forgotten or that's
                              > piqued anyone's curiosity?

                              > 12:13:30 PM >>>
                              >
                              > Dahm, just like a Reality Show, you cut to
                              > commercial just when it gets good.
                              >
                              > Caye
                              >
                              > --- On Mon, 9/29/08, Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
                              > Subject: [Slovak-World] There really was a Frank
                              > Sakalsky!
                              > To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
                              > Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
                              >
                              > Details after lunch.

                              > removed]

                              > removed]

                            • Ben Sorensen
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                                It was also a name, so the people from Janko Hrasko tell me, that is not used as much today. It was common... probably from the basis you give, Joe.
                                Ben

                                I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                Joe

                              • Ben Sorensen
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                                  Here Joe, a message for everyone from my folkloristi.. H. Tomaskova writes:

                                  Gejza je mu�sk� krstn� meno. Meniny na Slovensku m� 25. janu�ra.
                                  Gejza is a male given (christian/by baptism) name. The name day in Slovakia is on Jan. 25th.

                                  :-)
                                  Ben

                                  It was also a name, so the people from Janko Hrasko tell me, that is not used as much today. It was common... probably from the basis you give, Joe.
                                  Ben

                                  I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                  Joe

                                • Ron Matviyak
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 29, 2008
                                    OK, some of us have bad days when the electroons are against us. I
                                    went to http://www.lulu.com and searched for his name as <Frank
                                    Sakalsky> and <Sakalsky> and for <slovak> and could not locate the book.

                                    What is the name of the book again?

                                    I do suggest people explore the site and search for <slovak>, as they
                                    have potentially interesting titles and a published analysis of <Out
                                    of This Furnace>.

                                    Ron

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                      I couldn't find it either. The title is _Život Franka Sakalského_ [or
                                      _Zivot Franka Sakalskeho_, without the diacritics], and the "author" is
                                      Jozef Janek. I even tried searching on his name, but found only things
                                      by his daughter Klaudia (the one I spoke to).

                                      wrote:

                                      > I ordered and just received a copy of the book. You can order it
                                      from website <http://www.lulu.com> for book and postage total of
                                      $11.00 and pay for it by credit card.
                                      > Jerry Sabo

                                    • Gil Kubancsek
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                        Joe & Ben,  Thanks for the information.   I found Géza in the  MAGYAR  UTÓNEVEK at  www.fam.aust.com.    In the Slovak Calendar at www.Slovensko.com January 25 is listed as the name day for Gejza.

                                        Gejza was the second son, the first son who died at a very young age in Slovakia  was named after his father, Karoly.

                                        Thanks again for the info.

                                        Gil

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                          I asked my Hungarian colleague if there's an English equivalent for the
                                          name. His answer: "Supposedly Turkish, origin unknown. No
                                          equivalent."

                                          >>> Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> 9/30/2008 11:56 AM >>>
                                          Joe & Ben, Thanks for the information. I found Géza in the MAGYAR
                                          UTÓNEVEK at www.fam.aust.com. In the Slovak Calendar at
                                          www.Slovensko.com January 25 is listed as the name day for Gejza.

                                          Gejza was the second son, the first son who died at a very young age in
                                          Slovakia was named after his father, Karoly.

                                          Thanks again for the info.

                                          Gil

                                          I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                          Joe

                                        • William F Brna
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                            One of the officers of the William Penn Fraternal anglicized his name to
                                            Gay Banes, (originally Geza).

                                            Bill Brna

                                            I asked my Hungarian colleague if there's an English equivalent for the
                                            name. His answer: "Supposedly Turkish, origin unknown. No
                                            equivalent."

                                            >>> Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> 9/30/2008 11:56 AM >>>
                                            Joe & Ben, Thanks for the information. I found G�za in the MAGYAR
                                            UT�NEVEK at www.fam.aust.com. In the Slovak Calendar at

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                              "William Penn Fraternal"???

                                              >>> William F Brna <wfbrna@...> 9/30/2008 2:29 PM >>>
                                              One of the officers of the William Penn Fraternal anglicized his name to
                                              Gay Banes, (originally Geza).

                                              Bill Brna

                                              I asked my Hungarian colleague if there's an English equivalent for the
                                              name. His answer: "Supposedly Turkish, origin unknown. No
                                              equivalent."

                                              >>> Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> 9/30/2008 11:56 AM >>>
                                              Joe & Ben, Thanks for the information. I found Gza in the MAGYAR
                                              UTNEVEK at www.fam.aust.com. In the Slovak Calendar at
                                              www.Slovensko.com January 25 is listed as the name day for Gejza.

                                              Gejza was the second son, the first son who died at a very young age in
                                              Slovakia was named after his father, Karoly.

                                              Thanks again for the info.

                                              Gil

                                              I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                              Joe

                                            • Gil Kubancsek
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                H.

                                                Thanks for asking your colleague and forwarding the info.  Interestingly MAGYAR UTÓNEVEK does not list Gejza as the Slovak equivalent of Géza. It does however specify Gus as the English equivalent and Gesa as the German equivalent of Géza.

                                                Gil

                                                I asked my Hungarian colleague if there's an English equivalent for the
                                                name. His answer: "Supposedly Turkish, origin unknown. No
                                                equivalent."

                                                >>> Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@yahoo. com> 9/30/2008 11:56 AM >>>
                                                Joe & Ben, Thanks for the information. I found Géza in the MAGYAR
                                                UTÓNEVEK at www.fam.aust. com. In the Slovak Calendar at
                                                www.Slovensko. com January 25 is listed as the name day for Gejza.

                                                Gejza was the second son, the first son who died at a very young age in
                                                Slovakia was named after his father, Karoly.

                                                Thanks again for the info.

                                                Gil

                                                I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                                Joe

                                              • William F Brna
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                  There were two Hungarian fraternals (I don't remember their names) that
                                                  combined into one and the name of the combined fraternal was the William
                                                  Penn Fraternal.

                                                  Bill Brna

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                    That's not at all uncommon. Old friends of my parents immigrated to this country from Hungary, and in the process, changed their surname from Norchesz to Norby. It makes geaneology searches almost impossible.
                                                    -------------- Original message from William F Brna <wfbrna@...>: --------------

                                                    One of the officers of the William Penn Fraternal anglicized his name to
                                                    Gay Banes, (originally Geza).

                                                    Bill Brna

                                                    I asked my Hungarian colleague if there's an English equivalent for the
                                                    name. His answer: "Supposedly Turkish, origin unknown. No
                                                    equivalent."

                                                    >>> Gil Kubancsek <gek0105@...> 9/30/2008 11:56 AM >>>
                                                    Joe & Ben, Thanks for the information. I found Géza in the MAGYAR
                                                    UTÓNEVEK at www.fam.aust.com. In the Slovak Calendar at
                                                    www.Slovensko.com January 25 is listed as the name day for Gejza.

                                                    Gejza was the second son, the first son who died at a very young age in
                                                    Slovakia was named after his father, Karoly.

                                                    Thanks again for the info.

                                                    Gil

                                                    I think it's probably the Hungarian given name Geza.

                                                    Joe

                                                  • Nick Holcz
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                      I don't know about the male name, but I had an aunty in
                                                      Czechoslovakia before ww2 called Gisa. I don't know if that is a
                                                      female version or with my lack of knowledge absolutely nothing to do with it.
                                                      I am sure someone will let me know.
                                                      Nick
                                                    • Gil Kubancsek
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 1, 2008
                                                        Nick,

                                                        Gisa is a German pet form of the female name Gisela.

                                                        Check  it out at http://www.20000-names.com/female_german_names.htm

                                                        Gil K.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 1, 2008
                                                          > bad days when the electroons are against us.

                                                          > I couldn't find it either.

                                                          Ha, a good way to put it, Ron. It's on this page:

                                                          <http://www.lulu.com/kjanek>

                                                          Remove any spaces in case Yahoo! inserts them after the periods.