FW: vzpomínky pro pamětníky

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
      Hello everyone, I don't often send forwards around, but this was one that I thought would amuse our friends who still remember communism, and those who would like to see what it was like.
      Ben

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
        And I just learned that the file cannot be sent as an attachment. Ok... plan b....
        Ben

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
          I just uploaded the powerpoint to our group. Enjoy- for those who remember...
          Ben

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
            Hey all,
            found a map as I was working on something- it is the handwritting/alphabet distribution in Europe cca 1901.� In our area of focus- not surprisingly- we find that the latin and the fraktur alphabets were being used simultaneously. It means that German-speaking people wrote in Gothic or Suetterlin-printed in fraktur, and the Slovaks and Hungarians would use a precursor to our Latin handwriting. Basically, we have to become accustomed to two different sets of handwritting in the Spis/Saris/Zemplin areas that I believe most of our records come from.
            It is not fun reading Gothic or Suetterlin, as e's,n's,m's and sometimes c's,u's, and i's all look the same- with a u having a diacritic over it to distinguish it from the other marks. K's and R's are extremely similar, and a p,f, or an h all look alike too, with some VERY minor details- that are usually left out by the writer!!!!
            Ok, so it is fun... but just wanted to throw this out there!
            Mapa: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Scripts_in_Europe_%281901%29.jpg

            Ben

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
              I forgot to mention the blend of Latin/Azbuka (cyrillic) that is found in the Zemplin area according to the map. :-)
              Ben

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
                Cool map, Ben.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2008
                  Here's some info on the K/W assignment to radio stations, with a map showing the exceptions. This site lists 8 stations in the eastern sector that have K instead of W, and 19 (if I count them right!) in the western sector with W.

                  http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

                  Joe