Tipping

  • PRabich@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2008
      Hello,

      I just talked with my wonderful exchange student from Slovakia and she said
      that only a small group give tips. When they do, they don't round it off, they
      give like we do in the US. If you go to a bar or a disco bar then you give
      tips. When we did go out to eat here, she did leave a tip. She usually
      wants to pay, but of course I treat her as one of my own and I don't accept
      this. I did let her buy last night as it was my birthday present from her.

      I can say from expierence that every time that I was in Slovakia I did give
      a tip. Usually it was most generous as I felt that I should tip like I would
      in the US. I can assure you that no one took offense to my tipping.

      Pat Benetis aka Rabich aka Rebic(k)

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2008
        HI Pat -

        Happy Birthday!!!!!!  Sounds like you are having a great time with your Slovak visitor.

        We always tipped 10% or more in Slovakia - seemed like the right thing to do and people were most appreciative.

        one thing many visitors are not aware of is you don't leave the tip on the table but give it to the person when settling the bill - so if 90 sk - you say 100 - this is hard for people who don't speak the language.

        Wish you could have seen the waitresses in a charming new inn in Ukraine on the old Ruthenian border last month - they were totally shocked to get a tip - I mean totally - first the waitress tried to give it back and then all the waitresses gathered around the girl who got the tip and tiwttered and giggled - it was refreshing - guess it doesn't happen in that remote corner of the world - the old ways still exist.

        303 bridges were flooded out in Ukraine and we saw a huge one where the concrete pilings
        were strewn like toy blocks. It was at the market in Kosiv, Carpathian Ukraine and people were finding all kinds of creative ways to cross the chasm, otherwise was a very long detour by road. There were stones piled up to help people make the crossing - totally precarious - a cow was driven along the route and young girls in tottery high heels and people
        on bicycles. A bit farther up people were in the water crossing - was totally fascinating to watch. The market was lots of fun - seemed like a thousand vendors and way in the back amid the mud puddles were people who spread their treasures on the grass - had lots of fun there and they could understand my Slovak.

        i have heard that the unemployment rate in Bratislava is now zero and people are coming from Ukraine and Romania to work there.

        One thing I loved seeing in Slovakia was the number of new restaurants going up in the old log style - utterly charming and wonderful menus - at last - celebrating their unique style.
        Waiters and waitresses in folk dress. Saw this throughout the country - like it a lot better than golden arches.

        ps found a super motel in Zaluzice just east of Michalovce - hotel prices in Slovakia are now really high - e mail me directly if you want more info. They made us a magnificent breakfast.

        helene

        I just talked with my wonderful exchange student from Slovakia and she said
        that only a small group give tips. When they do, they don't round it off, they
        give like we do in the US. If you go to a bar or a disco bar then you give
        tips. When we did go out to eat here, she did leave a tip. She usually
        wants to pay, but of course I treat her as one of my own and I don't accept
        this. I did let her buy last night as it was my birthday present from her.

        I can say from expierence that every time that I was in Slovakia I did give
        a tip. Usually it was most generous as I felt that I should tip like I would
        in the US. I can assure you that no one took offense to my tipping.

        Pat Benetis aka Rabich aka Rebic(k)

        ************ **Psssst. ..Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,
        (http://www.stylelis t.com/trends? ncid=aolsty00050 000000014)

      • William F Brna
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
          I just finished my sixth visit to Slovakia on August 24. I must say that
          tipping has never been a problem for me. I have been fortunate enough to
          have spent most of my time visiting with relatives, who took care of any
          unusual expenses without even telling me. They have seen to it that I
          could go wherever I wanted and even came up with places that they felt I
          should see. I have taken part in a religious pilgrimage, was invited to
          a goral wedding (which I photographed with a cam-corder), have visited
          Oravsky hrad twice, went to a new spa near the Polish border, and
          attended the 34th Annual Folklore Festival in Zuberec. I visited Old
          Town in Bratislava twice, visited the Mint Museum in Kremnica and was
          even scheduled to go to Auschwitz, however, I simply ran out of time.

          Perhaps the fact that I speak fluent Slovak made me more welcome than the
          average tourist. For this, I can thank my parents who wanted to keep our
          Slovak heritage alive. On my last visit, I spoke no English whatsoever
          for the entire three weeks.

          William F. Brna

          On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:00:40 -0700 (PDT) jenna-m <broni03@...>
          writes:

          I'd like to hear more about the almost getting slapped in the face for
          over tipping (when you are back) as we read our guidebooks on tipping
          before we went over and always left what the books suggested. But we
          noticed mid-way that some were adding a % right on the check; we hadn't
          really looked for that before. That made us wonder if we'd overlooked
          that before and overtipped...mostly felt that we were both spending euros
          faster than anticipated.
          Jenna

          From: amiak27 <amiak27@yahoo. com>
          To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
          Date: Sunday, September 6, 2009, 9:45 PM

          Helene,

          I did a search for tipping and find a 2003 discussion on 'cow tipping',
          but will pass on that one! At least I am assured of not reeating myself.

          I was in Germany in the spring, where it was traditional to round up the
          amount on the bill back in the days of the Deutsch Mark. Now with the
          Euro I find my mind boggling to tip correctly, and fortunately my German
          friends know my weaknesses and politely told me what to give for service.

          After a small discussion to include a non-greedy waitress, all Germans
          were agreed that about 5% on top of the bill is now proper, appreciated
          and not over done.

          Of course, Slovakia is a different country. . .

          Ron

          > Seems to me the Euro has raised the bar for pricing in Slovakia - and
          the hardest thing was how to tip. Somehow 1 euro seemed too little so
          would add a few more and then realize each Euro was like $1.44.
          Difficulty was in being used to Slovak Crowns.

          > helene

        • jenna-m
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
            Maybe I'll be up to your speed on my sixth trip over:)  Don't know if that'll happen, but my two sisters now want to go. I wouldn't classify tipping as a problem...more a checking in on what's appropriate. Also maybe teasing Chuck a bit wondering if he may have been flirting with the waitress/ owner that he almost got socked:)

            I can't say we felt unwelcome, most of the people we met were extremely gracious and hospitable in all the places we went to...especially in one of the villages; it was a real highlight to be treated to home cooking and home made slivovice.

             I can appreciate the feeling of running our of time there...there were just so many more places I would have liked to seen. I also felt that whenever I used my (limited) vocabulary of Slovak it was usually met with an appreciation of the effort, so I can only imagine that that would only increase with fluency and competency on the language. I doubt that I would have ever had made this trip to begin with had my mother not sustained a pride in her Slovak heritage over the years...or her talking about her parents, and where they came from. You offer good motivation for wanting to learn more of the language. Ah so little time....so many things on that wish list:)
            Jenna

            On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:00:40 -0700 (PDT) jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
            writes:

            I'd like to hear more about the almost getting slapped in the face for
            over tipping (when you are back) as we read our guidebooks on tipping
            before we went over and always left what the books suggested. But we
            noticed mid-way that some were adding a % right on the check; we hadn't
            really looked for that before. That made us wonder if we'd overlooked
            that before and overtipped.. .mostly felt that we were both spending euros
            faster than anticipated.
            Jenna

            I did a search for tipping and find a 2003 discussion on 'cow tipping',
            but will pass on that one! At least I am assured of not reeating myself.

            I was in Germany in the spring, where it was traditional to round up the
            amount on the bill back in the days of the Deutsch Mark. Now with the
            Euro I find my mind boggling to tip correctly, and fortunately my German
            friends know my weaknesses and politely told me what to give for service.

            After a small discussion to include a non-greedy waitress, all Germans
            were agreed that about 5% on top of the bill is now proper, appreciated
            and not over done.

            Of course, Slovakia is a different country. . .

            Ron

            > Seems to me the Euro has raised the bar for pricing in Slovakia - and
            the hardest thing was how to tip. Somehow 1 euro seemed too little so
            would add a few more and then realize each Euro was like $1.44.
            Difficulty was in being used to Slovak Crowns.

            > helene

            Meet active single Seniors for fun romance.
            http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ fc/BLSrjpTQbQYcT NVUIVXgIT1ZOgW5a RcWzd6TnP5l3yoaa Pn1v4qjjOlNuDm/

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2009
              Jenna:

              No flirting, although sometimes I think that is why God put me here.  I was repaying my hostess (my girlfriend's sister) for her very kind hospitality in a small town outside of Frankfurt am Main called Eschborn.  We were @ a little pub owned by a woman named 'Trudy,' if memory serves.

              In the past, I had dined in the US @ a local sushi place owned by a man who had done his own exquisite woodwork in his restaurant. His father worked w/ him & sat @ the same place each time at the end of the bar.  All this man did was work, seven days a week.  After work, he would go to Wag's & eat dinner undisturbed.  He had the best food & saki.  At this time, about 25 years ago, all the yuppies hadn't discovered sushi yet.

              Anyway, some nights he could not afford waiters, & so he cut sushi, bussed tables & served customers in a small, but comfortable place.  The pace, believe it or not was unhurried.  ON nights like that, I would always tip more.

              I had attempted to do the same w/ Trudy, since she was cooking, serving & tending bar.  She was offended, said something in German, very loud that made my girlfriend & her sister roar w/ delight.  And she wiped her hands on her apron, & reached back.  My German is worse than my Slovak, but I think it was something to the effect that, "How dare I..."

              No, Jenna, no flirting.  At least not with her.  And not on that night.

              But I am flattered that you think I was flirting.  When you don't have a lot of money or good looks, you have to do what you can to be noticed.

              I didn't make the same mistake on my last two trips to Slovakia.  If I am going to get slapped, I want to EARN it!

              Chuck

              From: William F Brna <wfbrna@juno. com>

              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

              From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@ yahoo.com>

              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

              From: amiak27 <amiak27@yahoo. com>

              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

              Date: Sunday, September 6, 2009, 9:45 PM

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 16, 2009
                Hi Chuck,

                Thanks so much for the comparative views on your experiences regarding the pub and the sushi place.

                By the way are you back in the US now?