Re: [Slovak-World] today's weird question

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
      Well, somewhat related. I do have a 2lb package of buckwheat flour that ccame from Mabry Mill along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, in the Appalachian mountains. I mix some with an egg, some buttermilk, and yeast and let it ferment overnight. Next morning, I make pancakes, topped with butter, blackberry, blueberry, or maple syrup. Like the molasses which is derived from buckwheat, it's not for the faint-of-heart. I thought it was just an Appalachian thing (only place I've ever seen them). After eating them for 50+yrs, I might be the only "Yankee northerner" who likes them.

      http://southernfood.about.com/od/pancakesandwaffles/r/bl30605h.htm

      There are no references to it in my Czechoslovak cookbook, but I have found a couple of references on the 'net:

      http://www.underutilized-species.org/Documents/EVENTS/symposium_on_buckwheat.pdf

      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6V-4F60NCW-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0c55dc0265960ac4b270e93c73ba52b2

      http://www.linkedwords.com/local-search/local.php?REQ=Slovakia%20buckwheat

      And molasses:

      http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/517271/sale_molasses.html

      http://www.linkedwords.com/local-search/local.php?REQ=Slovakia%20molasses

      So, they were/are both used in Slovakia. I've never tried the beet molasses, but I have little reason to doubt that I'd like it. I love predtym, particularly in borscht.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

      On the molasses issue -- the cousins were curious about the dark junk in the bottle -- I said molasses -- or in England Strickle -- blank stares -- so I said -- here, taste it --

      you should have seen their faces -- apparently nothing they'd ever tried before -- so I'm thinking moleasses is not a staple in the Slovak kitchen.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hey there,
        Molasses is in the Slovak kitchen, called melasa. I would not be surprised if potatos can be used for this production- especially if you have every tried the byproduct of molasses- RUM! In Slovakia, they had to change the name of the liquor to "Um" (I am NOT kidding) due to regulations- Slovak rum was not considered "true" rum so they couldn't call it that. Rum in the West indies is either made from beets or sugarcane, as is molasses.
        We used molasses in Slovakia- for a range of things. It was wonderful...
        Ben
[...]

      • Edward T. Surkosky
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
          Molasses is a by-product of sugar. In the New World it was made from sugar
          cane. This is why France and England strove to maintain the island in the
          Caribbean.Then they began making sugar from beets. All sugar production in
          Europe used beets because they could grow them there. Were any beets grown
          in the area?

          Ed Surkosky

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008

            Interesting, I'll have to show them this and see if they have a different reaction.

            Thanks, Ben.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
              Slovaks make anything from everything. :-) Think about the koncovka- originally it was a piece of willow that was hollowed out (easy to do) with a fipple cut into the top. it was just a "V" and the air would be directed onto the edge with a very basic embroucher- something that I am sure that many American children did. The difference- the Slovaks then began to open and close the end with a finger or two and play melodies.  I believe that these melodies gave way to the "terchovske" melodies that are popular in Slovakia today. Why? because the mode that is found on that hollowed piece of willow and songs from Terchova/Orava are the same! (Lydian). So, Slovaks making melasa is not as surprising to me....
              Heck, look at their embroidery and Detvianske crosses! Look at chain-spouts! (These are water "spouts" that hang from guttered roofs- just chains that direct rainwater downwards. They work too... where as we have piping for this run-off). Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf. If you have never heard this, go to Slovakia, and you will find a few who can do this in central Slovakia- most famous was Jozef Vyboh- a great musician. If he didn't have a pistalka nearby... a leaf was just as good. He not only played melodies, but improvised around them- until the leaf finally split....
              Slovak ingenuity!
              Ben

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                "Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf."

                I remember doing that as a child, but never knew where it from. Perhaps from my grandmother from Bratislava? We also used to pick milkweed stems and hollow them out to make "flutes". I wonder if that's related?

                Kindest regards,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008

                  Wow, Skeeter, you musta been from the other side of the tracks, when I lived in Cleveland, we played with mudpies and tied Campbells soup cans together with string so we could talk to the next door neighbors out the attic windows.

                  Caye

                  ------------ -- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                    On Sep 3, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

                    > Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf.
                    > If you have never heard this, go to Slovakia, and you will find a
                    > few who can do this in central Slovakia- most famous was Jozef
                    > Vyboh- a great musician. If he didn't have a pistalka nearby... a
                    > leaf was just as good. He not only played melodies, but improvised
                    > around them- until the leaf finally split....

                    I've seen this done in Slovakia.... it was amazing.... the musician
                    said it took him 2 months to learn to do it. He had been playing the
                    violin earlier, and the melody he played on the leaf was just as
                    intricate.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • fbican@att.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                      Caye--

                      Indeed. When I grew up (1950's-1960's), Broadview Heights was considered "out in the boonies". We tried the cans'n'string thing, but the houses were just too far apart. Fortunately for me, I was an elektronicky from day one, and built some walkie-talkies. We used those instead.

                      As for the mliecny burina flutes, it was old farmland, and they grew everywhere, along with elderberries, strawberries, blackberries, raaspberries, black cherries, hicory nuts, acorns, sassafras (for making tea), and Lord knows what else we ate. No mudpies that I can recall. ;-)

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                        Do we have videos of any folks playing the leaf?
                        I want to see/hear!
                        Smiles.. Zuzka D.

                      • Armata, Joseph R
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                          Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                          Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                          Joe

                        • fbican@att.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                            If you think about it, saxophones, clarinets, oboes, bassoons... they're all reed instruments, not all that distant from a leaf, only a lot more expensive. I did have a German-silver clarinet many years ago, but I was never very good at it. I regret that I didn't keep it, however. I think we donated it to a school band. Probably just as well.

                            Kindest regards,

                            Skeeter

                            -------------- Original message from "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...>: --------------

                            Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                            Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                            Joe

                          • luci
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008

                              Actually, it is indeed a world-wide phenomenon. If you go to youtube.com - and put in "music from leaves"  in that search you will find a huge diversity of humanity, all showing off their leaf playing expertise.  Actually, I understand there are formal contests in Goa.

                              Luci

                              Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                              Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                              Joe

                            • Nick Holcz
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                                Eucalyptus leaves are used for music in Australia . it must be a
                                common thing in a lot of cultures.

                                Nick
                              • fbican@att.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                                  When I was a kid, we used to make hudba by putting a leaf (didn't seem to matter which, as long as they weren't too big) between our thumbs. Blow through it, and that was all it took.

                                  Since then, I've gone through thousands of dollars of musical instruments, but I don't think any were more fun just plucking a leaf and playing it!

                                  Kindest regards,

                                  Skeeter

                                  -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 4, 2008

                                    ------------ -- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@iinet. net.au>: ------------ --

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 4, 2008
                                      My computer just shot off a blank email- SORRY!!!

                                      I can't agree more with you Skeeter, except I haven't learned how to play the leaf yet. I did, however, love getting a hose with a funneled end and spinning it around. I would whistle and sound ghostly- and by adjusting the speed it would change the note. I LOVED IT! and it was cheap to make.

                                      Another cheap instrument that was just fun was a kazoo- wax-paper and a comb!
                                      Ben

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 4, 2008
                                        Australian aboriginals make a hole in the end of a flat piece of
                                        wood, tie a piece of string in it and whirl it around their heads. We
                                        called it a bullroarer. When I was a boy we used our school rulers.

                                        Nick
                                      • fbican@att.net