Re: [Slovak-World] today's weird question

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2 2:02 PM
      That's Treacle.

      Paul

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Caye Caswick
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 4:40 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] today's weird question

      On the molasses issue -- the cousins were curious about the dark junk in the bottle -- I said molasses -- or in England Strickle -- blank stares -- so I said -- here, taste it --

      you should have seen their faces -- apparently nothing they'd ever tried before -- so I'm thinking moleasses is not a staple in the Slovak kitchen.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2 2:06 PM

      • fbican@att.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2 5:39 PM
          Well, somewhat related. I do have a 2lb package of buckwheat flour that ccame from Mabry Mill along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, in the Appalachian mountains. I mix some with an egg, some buttermilk, and yeast and let it ferment overnight. Next morning, I make pancakes, topped with butter, blackberry, blueberry, or maple syrup. Like the molasses which is derived from buckwheat, it's not for the faint-of-heart. I thought it was just an Appalachian thing (only place I've ever seen them). After eating them for 50+yrs, I might be the only "Yankee northerner" who likes them.

          http://southernfood.about.com/od/pancakesandwaffles/r/bl30605h.htm

          There are no references to it in my Czechoslovak cookbook, but I have found a couple of references on the 'net:

          http://www.underutilized-species.org/Documents/EVENTS/symposium_on_buckwheat.pdf

          http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6V-4F60NCW-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0c55dc0265960ac4b270e93c73ba52b2

          http://www.linkedwords.com/local-search/local.php?REQ=Slovakia%20buckwheat

          And molasses:

          http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/517271/sale_molasses.html

          http://www.linkedwords.com/local-search/local.php?REQ=Slovakia%20molasses

          So, they were/are both used in Slovakia. I've never tried the beet molasses, but I have little reason to doubt that I'd like it. I love predtym, particularly in borscht.

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 2 8:14 PM
            Hey there,
            Molasses is in the Slovak kitchen, called melasa. I would not be surprised if potatos can be used for this production- especially if you have every tried the byproduct of molasses- RUM! In Slovakia, they had to change the name of the liquor to "Um" (I am NOT kidding) due to regulations- Slovak rum was not considered "true" rum so they couldn't call it that. Rum in the West indies is either made from beets or sugarcane, as is molasses.
            We used molasses in Slovakia- for a range of things. It was wonderful...
            Ben
[...]

          • Edward T. Surkosky
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3 12:55 AM
              Molasses is a by-product of sugar. In the New World it was made from sugar
              cane. This is why France and England strove to maintain the island in the
              Caribbean.Then they began making sugar from beets. All sugar production in
              Europe used beets because they could grow them there. Were any beets grown
              in the area?

              Ed Surkosky

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3 6:35 AM

                Interesting, I'll have to show them this and see if they have a different reaction.

                Thanks, Ben.

                Caye

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3 6:54 AM
                  Slovaks make anything from everything. :-) Think about the koncovka- originally it was a piece of willow that was hollowed out (easy to do) with a fipple cut into the top. it was just a "V" and the air would be directed onto the edge with a very basic embroucher- something that I am sure that many American children did. The difference- the Slovaks then began to open and close the end with a finger or two and play melodies.  I believe that these melodies gave way to the "terchovske" melodies that are popular in Slovakia today. Why? because the mode that is found on that hollowed piece of willow and songs from Terchova/Orava are the same! (Lydian). So, Slovaks making melasa is not as surprising to me....
                  Heck, look at their embroidery and Detvianske crosses! Look at chain-spouts! (These are water "spouts" that hang from guttered roofs- just chains that direct rainwater downwards. They work too... where as we have piping for this run-off). Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf. If you have never heard this, go to Slovakia, and you will find a few who can do this in central Slovakia- most famous was Jozef Vyboh- a great musician. If he didn't have a pistalka nearby... a leaf was just as good. He not only played melodies, but improvised around them- until the leaf finally split....
                  Slovak ingenuity!
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3 7:23 AM
                    "Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf."

                    I remember doing that as a child, but never knew where it from. Perhaps from my grandmother from Bratislava? We also used to pick milkweed stems and hollow them out to make "flutes". I wonder if that's related?

                    Kindest regards,

                    Skeeter

                    -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 3 7:32 AM

                      Wow, Skeeter, you musta been from the other side of the tracks, when I lived in Cleveland, we played with mudpies and tied Campbells soup cans together with string so we could talk to the next door neighbors out the attic windows.

                      Caye

                      ------------ -- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 3 8:23 AM
                        On Sep 3, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

                        > Most of all, look at the people that play entire melodies on a leaf.
                        > If you have never heard this, go to Slovakia, and you will find a
                        > few who can do this in central Slovakia- most famous was Jozef
                        > Vyboh- a great musician. If he didn't have a pistalka nearby... a
                        > leaf was just as good. He not only played melodies, but improvised
                        > around them- until the leaf finally split....

                        I've seen this done in Slovakia.... it was amazing.... the musician
                        said it took him 2 months to learn to do it. He had been playing the
                        violin earlier, and the melody he played on the leaf was just as
                        intricate.

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...
                      • fbican@att.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 3 9:07 AM
                          Caye--

                          Indeed. When I grew up (1950's-1960's), Broadview Heights was considered "out in the boonies". We tried the cans'n'string thing, but the houses were just too far apart. Fortunately for me, I was an elektronicky from day one, and built some walkie-talkies. We used those instead.

                          As for the mliecny burina flutes, it was old farmland, and they grew everywhere, along with elderberries, strawberries, blackberries, raaspberries, black cherries, hicory nuts, acorns, sassafras (for making tea), and Lord knows what else we ate. No mudpies that I can recall. ;-)

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 3 9:35 AM
                            Do we have videos of any folks playing the leaf?
                            I want to see/hear!
                            Smiles.. Zuzka D.

                          • Armata, Joseph R
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 3 9:51 AM
                              Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                              Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                              Joe

                            • fbican@att.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 3 10:16 AM
                                If you think about it, saxophones, clarinets, oboes, bassoons... they're all reed instruments, not all that distant from a leaf, only a lot more expensive. I did have a German-silver clarinet many years ago, but I was never very good at it. I regret that I didn't keep it, however. I think we donated it to a school band. Probably just as well.

                                Kindest regards,

                                Skeeter

                                -------------- Original message from "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...>: --------------

                                Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                                Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                                Joe

                              • luci
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 3 10:18 AM

                                  Actually, it is indeed a world-wide phenomenon. If you go to youtube.com - and put in "music from leaves"  in that search you will find a huge diversity of humanity, all showing off their leaf playing expertise.  Actually, I understand there are formal contests in Goa.

                                  Luci

                                  Not to take anything from the ingenious Slovaks, but the overtone flutes (no holes except for the outlet, played by closing/opening the outlet with your finger) and playing melodies on leaves aren't really Slovak inventions; they're widespread in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in the world. I haven't heard Vyboh's play, but heard some real masters from Bulgaria and Poland. When you hear it, you can't believe it's just a leaf, and not some real musical instrument they're playing.

                                  Chains to manage roof water runoff are called rain chains over here.

                                  Joe

                                • Nick Holcz
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 3 7:49 PM
                                    Eucalyptus leaves are used for music in Australia . it must be a
                                    common thing in a lot of cultures.

                                    Nick
                                  • fbican@att.net
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 3 9:18 PM
                                      When I was a kid, we used to make hudba by putting a leaf (didn't seem to matter which, as long as they weren't too big) between our thumbs. Blow through it, and that was all it took.

                                      Since then, I've gone through thousands of dollars of musical instruments, but I don't think any were more fun just plucking a leaf and playing it!

                                      Kindest regards,

                                      Skeeter

                                      -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 4 5:09 AM

                                        ------------ -- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@iinet. net.au>: ------------ --

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 4 5:15 AM
                                          My computer just shot off a blank email- SORRY!!!

                                          I can't agree more with you Skeeter, except I haven't learned how to play the leaf yet. I did, however, love getting a hose with a funneled end and spinning it around. I would whistle and sound ghostly- and by adjusting the speed it would change the note. I LOVED IT! and it was cheap to make.

                                          Another cheap instrument that was just fun was a kazoo- wax-paper and a comb!
                                          Ben

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 4 6:13 AM
                                            Australian aboriginals make a hole in the end of a flat piece of
                                            wood, tie a piece of string in it and whirl it around their heads. We
                                            called it a bullroarer. When I was a boy we used our school rulers.

                                            Nick
                                          • fbican@att.net