Re: [Slovak-World] Exchange Student

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 29, 2008
      Perhaps a bit off Slovak topic, but when went to Mexico, most of the "fancy" restautants were staffed by bi-linguals, Spanish and English. When we found some of the Mexican mom & pop restaurants (Spanish speaking only), that's where the best food was, and why I picked up enough Spanish to get by. What I wouldn't have given for the electronic translator I have now back then (1976, I think).

      Oh well, I just finished grilling up some biftecky and tofu marinated in tamari. I'm about as multi-cultural as one man can be.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Tom Flynn <trflynn@...>: --------------

      > Lurker/Caye,
      >
      > We also had my cousin and his fiance (now wife) staying with us from June
      > to Sept 2003. They were between 4th and 5th years at University in
      > Kosice; they were on a summer work program; we had to pre-locate a job
      > for them in a nearby resturant...though the hours were part-time, and they
      > were always looking for additional jobs while here, it was good we were
      > able to line up the jobs for them ahead of time, since they came later in
      > the summer such that most summer jobs had already been taken (it was a
      > tough year for summer jobs). My cousin spoke English pretty well and his
      > now wife spoke haltingly but could be understood (important skill to work
      > in public restaurant!)...my mother does speak Slovak (it was her first
      > language) so she could also help with translation. We took them to see
      > the painted churches and to the coast when they had some time off, and we
      > learned quite a bit about Slovakia during their stay here.
      >
      > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Caye Caswick wrote:
      >

      > > Dear Lurker:
      > >
      > > My cousins found/find (they were here last year and loved America so much they
      > are back again this summer, extending their visas thru Christmas, God willing)
      > that if I turned on the closed-captioning on the TV, their spelling and
      > pronounciation got better -- just a suggestion.
      > >

      > > Caye

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008

        Tom, most DEFINITELY, working in a restaurant made all the difference between broken and fluent English -- one cousin got promoted from waitress to bartender -- a win-win for both her pocket and the restaurant's business -- she's got the gift of gab.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
          "one cousin got promoted from waitress to bartender -- a win-win for both her pocket and the restaurant's business".

          That sounds familiar. I had a medical technologist working for me twenty-some years ago, and he left because he could make more as a bartender. He got a minimal salary, but on a good night he could make $200 in tips.

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008

            so true skeeter, last night she twirled in pockets exploding with cash -- she LOVES this promotion and the boss's confidence in her has done wonders for her ego.

            also, for those of you in need of english courses for your visiting relatives -- check with the community colleges -- mine offers 6 levels of 8-week  courses FREE (books aren't free, but they are cheap used on the internet) -- plus a free citizenship course as well -- the cousins think it's too good to be true to attend college for free -- plus get use of the library and a discount on public transit to boot.  I also saw a flier of two other free job-assistance courses -- one dealing with amerian math (v. metric math) and the other specific linguistics for business --  english for retail, customer service, office workers -- pretty cool thing my tax $ is going for.

            Caye

            ------------ -- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
              Yes, Caye, bartending is tough work, but it certainly can be lucrative.

              At the time, we were working the graveyard shift in immunohematology (aka, blood bank), and on slow nights, my co-worker, Greg Stoltz, would study his bartender's manual memorizing drink mixes. Any koktail you wanted, he could rattle off the recipe. Another one, Mike Holland, went to become a bartender at a local eatery. I couldn't get free mixed drinks from him, but I could get free piwo. He used it as a stepping-stone (financially) to get a job as an executive at Abbott Diagnostics. Bartending certainly beats waiting tables.

              I'm glad your cousin is doing well, and wish her dobry szczescie!

            • Tom Flynn
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
                Caye,

                Yes, though my cousin's fiance didn't start out being very confident in
                her English verbal ability, but being a people-person she quickly picked
                up the skill. The menu items were a bit of a trial for them; they had to
                learn that "chicken-fried steak" doesn't have any chicken in it (they're
                more familiar with snitzel) and brownies (which I don't think they have in
                Slovakia either). But it was old hat to them by the time they had to
                leave.

                One of my other relatives who came to visit us from Slovakia one time
                ordered a meal that came with unpeeled potato fries and proceeded to peel
                the skin off each piece of potato before eating it (guess she just wasn't
                used to that way of preparation which I guess at one time was not usual
                even here).

                On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Caye Caswick wrote:

                > Tom, most DEFINITELY, working in a restaurant made all the difference between broken and fluent English -- one cousin got promoted from waitress to bartender -- a win-win for both her pocket and the restaurant's business -- she's got the gift of gab.
                >
                > Caye

                ---------
                Tom Flynn
                I speak only for myself

              • fbican@att.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
                  "One of my other relatives who came to visit us from Slovakia one time
                  ordered a meal that came with unpeeled potato fries and proceeded to peel
                  the skin off each piece of potato before eating it (guess she just wasn't
                  used to that way of preparation which I guess at one time was not usual
                  even here)."

                  Tom--

                  It certainly is the norm around here (Cleveland, OH) for skinless french-fried potatoes, and quite often frozen. I didn't discover how good fries with the skins on until I started making my own.

                  1 liter peanut oil heated to ~375F
                  2 large redskin potatoes, rinsed and drained
                  Malt vinegar
                  Sea salt

                  Heat the potatoes in the hot oil until they look nice and brown. Word of caution, however -- They go in nice and crisp, and then become very soft, and break easily if stirred to vigorously with a slotted spoon. Once they start to brown, they get reasonably firm again. By the way, you can put the oil in a jug in the fridge and re-use it for up to 6 months.

                  Belgians like their fries with mayonaisse, and most Americans like catsup. I like vinegar and salt best. To each his/her own.

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008

                    If you want to keep the crispness -- fry twice -- after the initial golden browning -- drain on newspaper or papertowels -- then fry again until goldener browner  -- amazing difference.

                    Caye

                    ------------ -- Original message from Tom Flynn <trflynn@jtan. com>: ------------ --

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2008
                      Tell us about a typical day in your home town.

                      Tell us about the differences you have found between students in Slovakia & students in America.

                      I hope you enjoy your stay in America!