Re: [Slovak-World] Columbia loss

  • cmedvik@msn.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
      Thanks you, Vladimir. As always, you are always first to be most gracious
      and thoughtful to everyone's troubles and losses. God bless you!

      I can find the only hopeful feelings in this that Bush's advance towards war
      with Iraq will be slowed and sobered by such a tragedy happening in his own
      home state. Maybe the world has gained a respite while we as a country
      grieve and solve this mystery, which could take months.

      And even though the shuttles are meticulously maintained, Columbia was 22
      years old. Twice as old as MIR and twice as old as most automobiles on the
      roads. Perhaps as Slovakia joins NATO she might be able to bid on new
      shuttles that will obviously have to be built if our fleet is too old. All
      NASA bids go to the lowest bidder, and if Slovakia has any experience with
      Star City from the old Soviet days, the low average wage will put her far
      ahead of even American companies.

      God can bring good out of every evil if we do not despair.

      Thanks again Vladimir, and God bless

      Claudia

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
        Claudia wrote:

        >And even though the shuttles are meticulously maintained, Columbia was 22
        >years old. Twice as old as MIR and twice as old as most automobiles on the
        >roads.

        The Columbia had been completely rebuilt in a 2-year overhaul and was,
        considering the age of its new parts, younger and in better condition than
        most of the planes the Govt. flew into Afghanistan.

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA
        "I have never let my schooling interfere
        with my education." - Mark Twain
      • cmedvik@msn.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
          Dear Heart,

          The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to NASA, that was not the
          point of my comment. It was that this sad event might have a good side
          effect of keeping us from an uncertain and frightning war with Iraq, if only
          for a few months. And I pray the investigation does not paralyze the Space
          Station program as the 1987 Disaster kept shuttles grounded for 2 years.

          NASA has provided our nation with the most wonderful inspiration for
          decades, and thousands of by-products inventions that have revolutionized
          and bettered our lives in every way. You are the Olympus of our nation and
          we mere mortals who stand in revered awe. Long may you fly!

          > >And even though the shuttles are meticulously maintained, Columbia was 22
          > >years old. Twice as old as MIR and twice as old as most automobiles on
          the
          > >roads.
          >
          > The Columbia had been completely rebuilt in a 2-year overhaul and was,
          > considering the age of its new parts, younger and in better condition than
          > most of the planes the Govt. flew into Afghanistan.
          >

          > Michelle Maco Mader
          > Cleveland, Ohio USA
          > "I have never let my schooling interfere
          > with my education." - Mark Twain

        • Michelle A Mader
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
            >The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to NASA, that was not the
            >point of my comment. It was that this sad event might have a good side
            >effect of keeping us from an uncertain and frightning war with Iraq, if only
            >for a few months.

            Which would be a truly wonderful thing if it did happen.

            Michelle Maco Mader
            Cleveland, Ohio USA
            "I have never let my schooling interfere
            with my education." - Mark Twain
          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
              http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

              I use the site above as my "home" page. A poignant
              picture today.

              Dr. "Q"
              --- Michelle A Mader <Michelle.A.Mader@...>
              wrote:

              > >The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to
              > NASA, that was not the
              > >point of my comment. It was that this sad event
              > might have a good side
              > >effect of keeping us from an uncertain and
              > frightning war with Iraq, if only
              > >for a few months.
              >
              > Which would be a truly wonderful thing if it did
              > happen.
              >

              > Michelle Maco Mader
              > Cleveland, Ohio USA
              > "I have never let my schooling interfere
              > with my education." - Mark Twain

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                The Slovak Spectator has a couple of articles on the Slovak language in
                this week's edition; those of you with a particular interest in the
                language might enjoy reading them.

                The home page is www.slovakspectator.sk.

                An interview with a Slovak linguist is at
                http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok.asp?vyd=2003004&rub=spect_feat&cl=11757;
                title is Linguist: Slovak surviving well under pressure from English

                The always-amusing Tom Nicholson writes about dictionaries and grammatical
                terms--at least, that's the subject he starts out with!.....at
                http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok.asp?vyd=2003004&rub=spect_feat&cl=11759;
                title is The last word: Slovnik is its own reward

                Respectfully submitted,
                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
              • votrubam@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                  >An interview with a Slovak linguist is at

                  Thanks Julie. I think that Slavo Ondrejovic is the most open-minded director the Linguistic Institute has had. The interview skirts around one issue, however: that the last and only comprehensive Slovak-Slovak dictionary was published in the 1960s. It's been out of print since then. And the next modern Slovak-Slovak dictionary, moreover just a short one, came out in 1997. That's a long time. The Institute has had about 60 employees most of the time.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                • J. Michutka
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                    I have a question for the native/fluent Slovak speakers on the list; either
                    there's an error in my textbook, or I'm confused.

                    The sentence in question reads (w/o diacritics): Ked' som odchadzala,
                    prisiel tam mlady chlapec v bielom tricku.....

                    Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                    "tricke" (locative singular)?

                    D'akujem for any insight......

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • Vladimir Linder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                      It is CORRECT.

                      At 02:43 PM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                      >I have a question for the native/fluent Slovak speakers on the list; either
                      >there's an error in my textbook, or I'm confused.
                      >
                      >The sentence in question reads (w/o diacritics): Ked' som odchadzala,
                      >prisiel tam mlady chlapec v bielom tricku.....
                      >
                      >Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                      >"tricke" (locative singular)?
                      >
                      >D'akujem for any insight......
                      >
                      >Julie Michutka
                      >jmm@...

                    • Scott T. Mikusko
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                        Vlad would know, he's a native speaker. :)

                        Some locative cases take -u, most usually after something ending in "k".
                        It's called a velar I believe.

                        Normally, locative cases just takes -e, but in some instances:

                        Ja som v Lipniku (I am in Lipnik)

                        Ona je v parku (She's in the park)

                        Slovak has a few quirks in the grammar rules like that. Same goes for some
                        words in the genative case. Some of those take a -u instead of -a or -y.

                        -Scott
                        still learning the old tongue.

                      • votrubam@netscape.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                          > Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                          > "tricke" (locative singular)?

                          Unlike the genitive -a/-u, this locative -u is 100% predictable.

                          The masculine and neuter nouns ending in -k, -g, -h, take -u in the locative. The sound, not the spelling decides: _v San Franciscu_ (often spelled _v San Francisku_), because the city's name is pronounced [fransisko].

                          The catch is not to use the masculine/neuter locative -u with the feminine nouns ending in -ka, -ga, -ha; those take the usual -e in the locative: _v tas~ke_ ("in the bag"), _v Amerike_.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                        • J. Michutka
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                            D'akujem to Vlad, Scott, and Martin!

                            >The catch is not to use the masculine/neuter locative -u with the feminine
                            >nouns ending in -ka, -ga, -ha;

                            I thought I had every exception written out on my handy-dandy chart....I
                            think I have space for yet another group of nouns........!

                            >Slovak has a few quirks in the grammar rules like that.

                            I disagree; Slovak has a LOT of quirks in the grammar rules, esp. for the
                            %$#!& noun endings!

                            Thanks again for the help,

                            Julie Michutka, mastering tricky tricku
                            jmm@...