An early Christmas poem

  • Eve Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      Maybe you have all already heard this:

      A Slovak's Night Before Christmas
      Twas the night before Vianoce, and all through the house
      The Slovaks had gathered To eat sauerkraut.
      The kolach was nestled all snug in its dish.
      Bobalki was cooking, and so was some fish.
      Babushkaed women and men in their caps
      Had all settled down with food in their laps.
      When out in the lawn there arose such a clatter
      We all went to see what was the matter.
      Away to the window Baba flew like a flash,
      Screaming "Lock all the doors and hide all the cash".
      When what to our wondering eyes should appear
      But a pagach shaped sleigh complete with reindeer.
      With a little old Slovak so lively and quick,
      We knew in a moment it was Janosik.
      Faster than Novenas his reindeer all came
      As he shouted "On Stefan" and each reindeer's name.
      "On Stefan, on Boris, on Janos, and Olga,
      On Jasko, on Cyril, on Sandor and Volga".
      Then out to the smokehouse the reindeer all flew
      With a sleigh full of Kolbasa and Janosik too.
      Into the smoke vent he lept with a bound,
      Dancing the czardas and twirling around.
      He did a quick polka, then went to his work.
      He gave us Oplatki then turned with a jerk.
      We gave him Kapusta and Dzedo's old clothes,
      Then sang Ticha Noc as up the vent he rose.
      But we heard him exclaim as we took off our coats,
      "Vesele Vianoce to all and to all dobre noc".
      The Anonymous Slovak author is unknown.