Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Ethnic dining in Cleveland

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

      Member how The Gouhl said PAARRRRRRma!

      Caye

      --- On Sun, 8/3/08, fbican@... <fbican@...> wrote:

      From: fbican@... <fbican@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Ethnic dining in Cleveland
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 9:23 AM

      Michelle & Caye--

      I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I grew up in Broadview Hts, OH, and attended Brecksville HS. After that, college at Cleveland State University, where I lived in a frat house (Alpha Epsilon Pi) on Prospect Ave. by E. 33rd St. Now I'm in Parma, OH. I have neighbors who are German, Italian, Slovak, Ukranian, Russian... a little bit of everything. My religion is principly Christian, but with a strong Jewish influence.

      If I were a dog, I'd be a mutt! LOL!!

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      ------------ -- Original message from Michelle Burke <mcmburke@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

      Caye -- I know you live on the South Side of Chicago -- I grew up in Cleveland too-- Buckeye Rd. How about you? where did you go to high school?

      From: John <jotis@.... com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Ethnic dining in Cleveland
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 10:57 PM

      Caye,

      Thanks very much for the information. I'm sure we'll try one of these
      places. I'm packing my Zantac as I speak. I'll let you know how it
      turns out.

      John

      --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:

      > John, if this does not paste well, I'll send it to you directly as a
      Word attachment, but here goes a plain-old cut-n-paste [drumroll] . . .
      . . .
      > Â Sokolowskis University Inn -- is an inviting cafeteria-style
      restaurant and bar that was established in 1923, and has changed little
      since then. Today it is owned by the third generation of the same
      family. The interior is cozy with wood walls lined with nostalgic local
      photos, backlit cornices, wonderful green vinyl-backed chairs, and a
      real wood-burning fireplace in the main room that's in use during most
      of the winter. The homemade Polish cuisine here is hearty, delicious and
      healthful -- as Mike Sokolowski calls it, this is authentic fare. They
      even offer their own home-brewed beer. Specials include stuffed cabbage,
      salisbury steak, kielbasa, paprikash and sauteed pierogis like grandma
      used to make.

      > Sokolowskis University Inn, (216) 771-9236, 1201 University Rd,
      Cleveland, OH 44113

      > Sterle's Slovenian Country House has been in the Sterle family since
      the early 1960s, and is just as charming today as it was over forty
      years ago. According to a 2002 article, the menu hasn't changed a bit
      either! This "Old Country" style restaurant offers a nice variety of
      Slovenian home-cooked meals. But the authenticity doesn't stop at the
      décor or menu -- on Saturday evenings, a staple at local German
      clubs and midwest Oktoberfests, entertains diners and those patrons who
      wish to take to the dance floor. Because of its large size, Sterle's is
      also very accomodating for parties and special celebrations.

      > Sterle's Slovenian Country House, (216) 881-4181, 1401 E 55th St,
      Cleveland, OH 44103

      > Marta's -- 800 E. 222nd St., Euclid, OH, 216-731-9596 -- The
      circa-1919 structure that houses Marta Runza's Czech & American
      Restaurant is a cozy backdrop to the labor-intensive Czech food she
      prepares from scratch -- dishes like succulent sauerbraten, served with
      a pileup of tender spaetzle to soak up the homemade gravy. The same
      painstaking detail elevates Runza's slowly simmered Hungarian goulash,
      her rolled flank steak, the pan-fried pork schnitzel, and her
      chicken-liver dumpling soup. On the side, choose the Czech-style
      yeast-and-flour dumplings, shaped by hand, boiled until firm, and sliced
      like bread. But Marta's culinary masterpiece is the roasted duck,
      bronzed outside and buttery within. On the side, a juicy tangle of
      sweet-tart sauerkraut makes the perfect go-with; and while Runza doesn't
      make the kraut from scratch, she does doctor it with her personal blend
      of spices and a heap of lovin'.

      > Babushka's Kitchen -- 9199 Olde Eight Rd., Northfield, OH,
      330-468-0402 -- From the handmade pierogi to the freshly baked kolachke,
      the food at this little "Polish heritage" restaurant is as pure and
      comforting as Grandma's love. From the moment you step inside, the aroma
      of made-from-scratch goodness emanates from dishes like golabki (stuffed
      cabbage rolls), crisp-edged potato pancakes, and smoked kielbasa, best
      accompanied by a tumble of slow-roasted sauerkraut and pillowy homemade
      dumplings. Chicken paprikash is a taste of home; lean pork roast melts
      in the mouth; and because Grandma always said to eat your veggies, don't
      overlook the thick, chunky applesauce or the sweet-tart
      carrot-and-cucumber salad. Factor in a friendly vibe, homey digs, and
      thumping polka music, and a trip to Babushka's Kitchen is as satisfying
      to the soul as to the palate.

      > The Linden Tavern -- 19865 Detroit Rd., Rocky River, OH, 440-333-1609
      -- Recent studies show that native Clevelanders are composed of
      approximately 25 percent fresh Lake Erie perch, 25 percent
      potato-cheddar pierogi, and 50 percent beer. Have you been hitting your
      quota lately? If not, head to the Linden Tavern, a snug little eatery in
      Rocky River, where owners Herb, Julie, and Kevin Eglinski cook up the
      most mouthwatering tavern fare in town. Take the full Cleveland route:
      golden filets of freshly battered perch, a pair of plump pierogi, and a
      frosty mug of Great Lakes' Dortmunder Gold. There's no better way to
      claim your status as a true Clevelander.

      > Cleveland's West Side Market â€" 1979 West 25th, Cleveland, OH --
      Hours Monday 7-4, Wednesday 7-4, Friday 7-6, Saturday 7-6 -- The main
      parking lot is located directly behind the Market and can be entered
      from Lorain Avenue. This lot is free, with a 2 hour enforced time limit.
      Additional parking is available by taking W. 25th to Bridge Avenue (near
      the tall apartment complex). This lot serves Market patrons and the
      other businesses along W.25th, and it is also free. Do not park at the
      shopping center on the south side of Lorain and W.25th. This rule is
      strictly enforced. The West Side Market Café is open 7 days a week
      and has an on-line menu; however, it is not particularly ethnic.

      > Cleveland still has the largest mix of Eastern European ethnic groups
      in the country, and the largest concentration of Slovenes, Slovaks, and
      Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
      overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
      in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
      two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
      here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
      Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
      formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
      for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
      “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
      still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
      as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
      prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
      > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and
      strudel ever since.

      > Caye

    • Michelle Burke
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
        I certainly do! (And then Ernie Anderson had a Saturday evening show -- Big Chuck & Houlihan, where they did a weekly Parma sketch -- who stole the kishka?).

        As I'm sitting here, I can't remember where I was born, but I think it was St. Anne's! (in 1952). I won't give you all of the details -- but my mom grew up in a coal patch town in Western Pennsylvania, and moved to Pittsburgh and then Cleveland (during the war), where she and her sister lived in a flat in a Cleveland two-flat owned by my father's mom, where she eventually met my father after the war. He was in the navy, moved around a lot, but long story short, eventually we returned to Cleveland in 1964. We lived in St. Benedict's parish (Buckeye Road), I went to Regina High School (South Euclid), and then left for Chicago for college (1970), where I have now ended up (strangely enough with a Chicagoan with some Slovak ancestry, though not entirely). I live in the Beverly neighborhood on the Southwest Side, where my South Side, non-Eastern European parish has an Easter basket blessing on Holy Saturday, which I find to be very interesting.

        Two of my brothers remained in Cleaveland (one of whom, Skeeter, remembers going to a party at your frat house, where he remembers the punch .... in the late 70's). The other one went to Cleveland State on and off throughout the 70's and 80's.

        We were just having a family discussion (two visiting brothers and my sister who lives in Chciago, too) about growing up Slovak in Cleveland, and what they meant and didn't mean to us and our parents. We concluded that neither our parents nor our grandparents had much sense of ethnic identity -- except for food and a few religious traditions, even though they grew up in ethnic enclave neighborhoods/towns.

        OK -- I guess that's enough about me!

      • fbican@att.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
          "We concluded that neither our parents nor our grandparents had much sense of ethnic identity -- except for food and a few religious traditions, even though they grew up in ethnic enclave neighborhoods/towns."

          That was pretty much my experience gtowing (born in 1953) as well. My grandfathers wanted to be Americans, and abandoned all of their ethnic ancestry. My grandmothers held onto it mostly through recipies and to a lesser-extent, the church. One generation down from me (my nephews) don't know or couldn't care less about Slovak or Czech herritage. That makes me cry.

          I guess it's up to us to keep it going as long as we can. I'll do whatever I can.

        • fbican@att.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
            "As I'm sitting here, I can't remember where I was born, but I think it was St. Anne's! (in 1952). "

            I don't remember the event (obviously), but I remember the story. My mom went into labor (1953) and my dad was racing through Independence, OH and the cops stopped him in his 1952 Chevy. They gave him an escort to Lutheran Hospital on W. 25th St., where I was born.

            I remember the strangest things. Please forgive me.

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008

              LOL, well I'll be!

              Caye

> [...]

              Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
              overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
              in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
              two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
              here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
              Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
              formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
              for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
              “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
              still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
              as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
              prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
              > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008

                Michele, I'm in Evergreen Park -- RIGHT NEXT DOOR -- small world!

                We'll have to hook up over at Starbucks or Cold Stone soon -- or Rainbow Cone -- or Top Notch and share some stories.

                Caye