Columbia loss

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
      As a long time follower of the space endeavors I would like to express my deep sympathy and condolence to all, that were hurt in any way.
      Vladimir Bohinc

    • cmedvik@msn.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
        Thanks you, Vladimir. As always, you are always first to be most gracious
        and thoughtful to everyone's troubles and losses. God bless you!

        I can find the only hopeful feelings in this that Bush's advance towards war
        with Iraq will be slowed and sobered by such a tragedy happening in his own
        home state. Maybe the world has gained a respite while we as a country
        grieve and solve this mystery, which could take months.

        And even though the shuttles are meticulously maintained, Columbia was 22
        years old. Twice as old as MIR and twice as old as most automobiles on the
        roads. Perhaps as Slovakia joins NATO she might be able to bid on new
        shuttles that will obviously have to be built if our fleet is too old. All
        NASA bids go to the lowest bidder, and if Slovakia has any experience with
        Star City from the old Soviet days, the low average wage will put her far
        ahead of even American companies.

        God can bring good out of every evil if we do not despair.

        Thanks again Vladimir, and God bless

        Claudia

        > As a long time follower of the space endeavors I would like to express my
        deep sympathy and condolence to all, that were hurt in any way.
        > Vladimir Bohinc

      • Michelle A Mader
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
          Claudia wrote:

          >And even though the shuttles are meticulously maintained, Columbia was 22
          >years old. Twice as old as MIR and twice as old as most automobiles on the
          >roads.

          The Columbia had been completely rebuilt in a 2-year overhaul and was,
          considering the age of its new parts, younger and in better condition than
          most of the planes the Govt. flew into Afghanistan.

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA
          "I have never let my schooling interfere
          with my education." - Mark Twain
        • cmedvik@msn.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
            Dear Heart,

            The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to NASA, that was not the
            point of my comment. It was that this sad event might have a good side
            effect of keeping us from an uncertain and frightning war with Iraq, if only
            for a few months. And I pray the investigation does not paralyze the Space
            Station program as the 1987 Disaster kept shuttles grounded for 2 years.

            NASA has provided our nation with the most wonderful inspiration for
            decades, and thousands of by-products inventions that have revolutionized
            and bettered our lives in every way. You are the Olympus of our nation and
            we mere mortals who stand in revered awe. Long may you fly!

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
              >The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to NASA, that was not the
              >point of my comment. It was that this sad event might have a good side
              >effect of keeping us from an uncertain and frightning war with Iraq, if only
              >for a few months.

              Which would be a truly wonderful thing if it did happen.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
              "I have never let my schooling interfere
              with my education." - Mark Twain
            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

                I use the site above as my "home" page. A poignant
                picture today.

                Dr. "Q"
                --- Michelle A Mader <Michelle.A.Mader@...>
                wrote:

                > >The age of shuttle aside, and with no disrespect to
                > NASA, that was not the
                > >point of my comment. It was that this sad event
                > might have a good side
                > >effect of keeping us from an uncertain and
                > frightning war with Iraq, if only
                > >for a few months.
                >
                > Which would be a truly wonderful thing if it did
                > happen.
                >

                > Michelle Maco Mader
                > Cleveland, Ohio USA
                > "I have never let my schooling interfere
                > with my education." - Mark Twain

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                  The Slovak Spectator has a couple of articles on the Slovak language in
                  this week's edition; those of you with a particular interest in the
                  language might enjoy reading them.

                  The home page is www.slovakspectator.sk.

                  An interview with a Slovak linguist is at
                  http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok.asp?vyd=2003004&rub=spect_feat&cl=11757;
                  title is Linguist: Slovak surviving well under pressure from English

                  The always-amusing Tom Nicholson writes about dictionaries and grammatical
                  terms--at least, that's the subject he starts out with!.....at
                  http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok.asp?vyd=2003004&rub=spect_feat&cl=11759;
                  title is The last word: Slovnik is its own reward

                  Respectfully submitted,
                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • votrubam@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                    >An interview with a Slovak linguist is at

                    Thanks Julie. I think that Slavo Ondrejovic is the most open-minded director the Linguistic Institute has had. The interview skirts around one issue, however: that the last and only comprehensive Slovak-Slovak dictionary was published in the 1960s. It's been out of print since then. And the next modern Slovak-Slovak dictionary, moreover just a short one, came out in 1997. That's a long time. The Institute has had about 60 employees most of the time.

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                      I have a question for the native/fluent Slovak speakers on the list; either
                      there's an error in my textbook, or I'm confused.

                      The sentence in question reads (w/o diacritics): Ked' som odchadzala,
                      prisiel tam mlady chlapec v bielom tricku.....

                      Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                      "tricke" (locative singular)?

                      D'akujem for any insight......

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • Vladimir Linder
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                        It is CORRECT.

                        At 02:43 PM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                        >I have a question for the native/fluent Slovak speakers on the list; either
                        >there's an error in my textbook, or I'm confused.
                        >
                        >The sentence in question reads (w/o diacritics): Ked' som odchadzala,
                        >prisiel tam mlady chlapec v bielom tricku.....
                        >
                        >Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                        >"tricke" (locative singular)?
                        >
                        >D'akujem for any insight......
                        >
                        >Julie Michutka
                        >jmm@...

                      • Scott T. Mikusko
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                          Vlad would know, he's a native speaker. :)

                          Some locative cases take -u, most usually after something ending in "k".
                          It's called a velar I believe.

                          Normally, locative cases just takes -e, but in some instances:

                          Ja som v Lipniku (I am in Lipnik)

                          Ona je v parku (She's in the park)

                          Slovak has a few quirks in the grammar rules like that. Same goes for some
                          words in the genative case. Some of those take a -u instead of -a or -y.

                          -Scott
                          still learning the old tongue.

                        • votrubam@netscape.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                            > Isn't the ending on "tricku" wrong? Shouldn't it be something like
                            > "tricke" (locative singular)?

                            Unlike the genitive -a/-u, this locative -u is 100% predictable.

                            The masculine and neuter nouns ending in -k, -g, -h, take -u in the locative. The sound, not the spelling decides: _v San Franciscu_ (often spelled _v San Francisku_), because the city's name is pronounced [fransisko].

                            The catch is not to use the masculine/neuter locative -u with the feminine nouns ending in -ka, -ga, -ha; those take the usual -e in the locative: _v tas~ke_ ("in the bag"), _v Amerike_.

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                          • J. Michutka
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                              D'akujem to Vlad, Scott, and Martin!

                              >The catch is not to use the masculine/neuter locative -u with the feminine
                              >nouns ending in -ka, -ga, -ha;

                              I thought I had every exception written out on my handy-dandy chart....I
                              think I have space for yet another group of nouns........!

                              >Slovak has a few quirks in the grammar rules like that.

                              I disagree; Slovak has a LOT of quirks in the grammar rules, esp. for the
                              %$#!& noun endings!

                              Thanks again for the help,

                              Julie Michutka, mastering tricky tricku
                              jmm@...