Re: [Slovak-World] Ethnic dining in Cleveland

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
      Two suggestions for you,

      Frank's Slovenian restaurant on E. 55th St. and Sokolowski's University Inn in the Tremont area, near W. 25th St. I've been to both, and the food is quite good and inexpensive.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "John" <jotis@...>: --------------

      I'm going to be visiting relatives in Cleveland in the next week and we
      were thinking of getting Slovak/ Eastern European food in a restaurant
      there. Any suggestions?

      John

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008

        John I'll get a list for you --

        Caye

        I'm going to be visiting relatives in Cleveland in the next week and we
        were thinking of getting Slovak/ Eastern European food in a restaurant
        there. Any suggestions?

        John

      • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
          There are several places but the one that jumped to mind is Sokolowski's
          University Inn. It's easy to get to and there is a wide variety of
          dishes.

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008

            John, if this does not paste well, I'll send it to you directly as a Word attachment, but here goes a plain-old cut-n-paste [drumroll] . . . . . .

             Sokolowskis University Inn -- is an inviting cafeteria-style restaurant and bar that was established in 1923, and has changed little since then. Today it is owned by the third generation of the same family. The interior is cozy with wood walls lined with nostalgic local photos, backlit cornices, wonderful green vinyl-backed chairs, and a real wood-burning fireplace in the main room that's in use during most of the winter. The homemade Polish cuisine here is hearty, delicious and healthful -- as Mike Sokolowski calls it, this is authentic fare. They even offer their own home-brewed beer. Specials include stuffed cabbage, salisbury steak, kielbasa, paprikash and sauteed pierogis like grandma used to make.

            Sokolowskis University Inn, (216) 771-9236, 1201 University Rd, Cleveland, OH 44113

            Sterle's Slovenian Country House has been in the Sterle family since the early 1960s, and is just as charming today as it was over forty years ago. According to a 2002 article, the menu hasn't changed a bit either! This "Old Country" style restaurant offers a nice variety of Slovenian home-cooked meals. But the authenticity doesn't stop at the décor or menu -- on Saturday evenings, a staple at local German clubs and midwest Oktoberfests, entertains diners and those patrons who wish to take to the dance floor. Because of its large size, Sterle's is also very accomodating for parties and special celebrations.

            Sterle's Slovenian Country House, (216) 881-4181, 1401 E 55th St, Cleveland, OH 44103

            Marta's -- 800 E. 222nd St., Euclid, OH, 216-731-9596 -- The circa-1919 structure that houses Marta Runza's Czech & American Restaurant is a cozy backdrop to the labor-intensive Czech food she prepares from scratch -- dishes like succulent sauerbraten, served with a pileup of tender spaetzle to soak up the homemade gravy. The same painstaking detail elevates Runza's slowly simmered Hungarian goulash, her rolled flank steak, the pan-fried pork schnitzel, and her chicken-liver dumpling soup. On the side, choose the Czech-style yeast-and-flour dumplings, shaped by hand, boiled until firm, and sliced like bread. But Marta's culinary masterpiece is the roasted duck, bronzed outside and buttery within. On the side, a juicy tangle of sweet-tart sauerkraut makes the perfect go-with; and while Runza doesn't make the kraut from scratch, she does doctor it with her personal blend of spices and a heap of lovin'.

            Babushka's Kitchen -- 9199 Olde Eight Rd., Northfield, OH, 330-468-0402 -- From the handmade pierogi to the freshly baked kolachke, the food at this little "Polish heritage" restaurant is as pure and comforting as Grandma's love. From the moment you step inside, the aroma of made-from-scratch goodness emanates from dishes like golabki (stuffed cabbage rolls), crisp-edged potato pancakes, and smoked kielbasa, best accompanied by a tumble of slow-roasted sauerkraut and pillowy homemade dumplings. Chicken paprikash is a taste of home; lean pork roast melts in the mouth; and because Grandma always said to eat your veggies, don't overlook the thick, chunky applesauce or the sweet-tart carrot-and-cucumber salad. Factor in a friendly vibe, homey digs, and thumping polka music, and a trip to Babushka's Kitchen is as satisfying to the soul as to the palate.

            The Linden Tavern -- 19865 Detroit Rd., Rocky River, OH, 440-333-1609 -- Recent studies show that native Clevelanders are composed of approximately 25 percent fresh Lake Erie perch, 25 percent potato-cheddar pierogi, and 50 percent beer. Have you been hitting your quota lately? If not, head to the Linden Tavern, a snug little eatery in Rocky River, where owners Herb, Julie, and Kevin Eglinski cook up the most mouthwatering tavern fare in town. Take the full Cleveland route: golden filets of freshly battered perch, a pair of plump pierogi, and a frosty mug of Great Lakes' Dortmunder Gold. There's no better way to claim your status as a true Clevelander.

            Cleveland's West Side Market – 1979 West 25th, Cleveland, OH -- Hours Monday 7-4, Wednesday 7-4, Friday 7-6, Saturday 7-6 -- The main parking lot is located directly behind the Market and can be entered from Lorain Avenue. This lot is free, with a 2 hour enforced time limit. Additional parking is available by taking W. 25th to Bridge Avenue (near the tall apartment complex). This lot serves Market patrons and the other businesses along W.25th, and it is also free. Do not park at the shopping center on the south side of Lorain and W.25th. This rule is strictly enforced. The West Side Market Café is open 7 days a week and has an on-line menu; however, it is not particularly ethnic.

            Cleveland still has the largest mix of Eastern European ethnic groups in the country, and the largest concentration of Slovenes, Slovaks, and Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food “from home” was an essential part of the ambience and still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
            dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and strudel ever since.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
              Adding to Caye's list:

              Balaton Restaurant 13133 Shaker Square (216) 921-9691
              Hungarian Cuisine (Paprikash, goulash, wiener schnitzel)

              Dubrovnik Gardens 34900 Lake Shore Blvd (440) 946-3366

              Little Budapest Restaurant 25124 Center Ridge Rd. (440) 617-0404

              The Little Polish Diner 5772 Ridge Rd. (440) 842-8212

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
            • John
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                Caye,

                Thanks very much for the information. I'm sure we'll try one of these
                places. I'm packing my Zantac as I speak. I'll let you know how it
                turns out.

                John

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                > John, if this does not paste well, I'll send it to you directly as a
                Word attachment, but here goes a plain-old cut-n-paste [drumroll] . . .
                . . .
> [...]
                Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
                overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
                in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
                two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
                here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
                Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
                formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
                for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
                “from home” was an essential part of the ambience and
                still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
                as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
                prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
                > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and

              • Michelle Burke
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                  I love Balaton's and Sokolowski's.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Sokolowski's University Inn is a gem for those of us who enjoy Eastern European food here in Cleveland. You don't believe us? Here's some other reviews:

                    http://www.yelp.com/biz/sokolowskis-university-inn-cleveland

                    The owners have been very generous in sharing recipes when the local public broadcasting TV station,

                    http://www.wviz.org/

                    during fundraisers.

                    It's not what I'd call gourmet food, but *REAL FOOD*!!! If you want some halusky v klobasa, that's the place to go!

                    Kindest regards,

                    Skeeter

                    -------------- Original message from Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...>: --------------

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Out of the list so far, Balatan is the best.  Sterle's is ok, but it's better since there is no smoking in buildings in Ohio anymore, at least you can taste and smell your food now.  Sterle's serves family style so encourage your group to take a sample at first and then go for seconds on things you like.  I was only at Little Budapest once and it was ok.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 30, 2008

                        Great, sounds like you were a Boy Scout -- quite prepared.  Now, go and have a fun adventure and don't hold back, I grew up in Cleveburg as I like to call it -- and would love to hear how things are cooking there these days.

                        Caye in Chicago now

                      • fbican@att.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 30, 2008
                          If anyone want's some of the recipes from Sokolowski's, they can be found here:

                          http://www.sokolowskis.com/recipes/pierogi.html

                          None of them are complicated, just simple, hearty peasant food. My mom used to make the pork schnitzel and stuffed cabbage. I've made the mushroom and barley soup many times. I'm planning on making the Salisbury steak soon, but with a pinch of dill and a dollop of sour cream.

                          Yes, "pinch and dollop" are the way I learned how to cook. I rarely use measuring cups or spoons. Somehow my immigrant grandmothers cooked that way, and they made the best food. I'm told you need to be pickier when baking, but I don't bake. That's why there are bakeries everywhere. A friend had a bread-making machine, but gave it up. You can go to any half-ways decent grocery store, and get good rye, Italian, pumpernickle, Kosher bagels, etc.

                          The only thing I miss is a hoska

                          http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1822,152182-240203,00.html

                          My grandma Rataj always had one sitting on the pantry shelf for visitors. That was good stuff!!

                          Kindest regards,

                          Skeeter

                          -------------- Original message from Cathie McAdams <ab8gv@...>: --------------

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
                            Caye -- I know you live on the South Side of Chicago -- I grew up in Cleveland too-- Buckeye Rd. How about you? where did you go to high school?

> [...]

                            Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
                            overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
                            in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
                            two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
                            here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
                            Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
                            formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
                            for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
                            “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
                            still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
                            as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
                            prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
                            > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and

                          • Caye Caswick
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008

                              Hi Michelle:

                              Born 1961 at St. Anne's Hospital in Cleveburg -- lived for  11 years in Maple Heights (baptized at St. Wenceslas)  (mom's mom lived at 112th/Clairebird and went to St. Mike's R-Orth at 100/Union) -- dad worked for Rock Island RR -- in 1972 he got transferred to Detroit and knew they'd give him a sales territory in Ft. Wayne Indiana, so we rented a summer in Sterling Hts. then bought a home on the north side of Ft. Wayne.  Lived in The Fort 3 years and went to Jr. Hi there.  Dad then got transferred to DesMoines where he rented for  the summer while we  sold The Fort and moved to Chicago where mom enrolled us in school, so began HS here in Chicago's southern suburbs -- I graduated Carl Sandburg Hi in Orland Park in 1979.  Dad eventually got a transfer to Chicago the fall of '75.

                              I bought the home dad's parents owned in the '40's about 6 years ago.  In 2006  I visited mom's mother's village in South Eastern Slovakia.  Summer of 2007 one cousin came to stay with me.  This Summer she's back with her sister.

                              Genealogy -- gotta love it -- well, that and all that relocation the Rock Island provided.  I've kinda been pretty much everywhere over the last 47 years.

                              As soon as the webmeistah at church completes the slideshow from our 2008 Holy Land tour, I'll post the link so you all can see it.  The photos from our 2006 pilgrimage to Slovakia and Poland are already there ... www.stlukeorthodox.com ...  click on pilgrimages and you can view them all.

                              glad ya asked, lol?

                              Caye

                            • fbican@att.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
                                Michelle & Caye--

                                I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I grew up in Broadview Hts, OH, and attended Brecksville HS. After that, college at Cleveland State University, where I lived in a frat house (Alpha Epsilon Pi) on Prospect Ave. by E. 33rd St. Now I'm in Parma, OH. I have neighbors who are German, Italian, Slovak, Ukranian, Russian... a little bit of everything. My religion is principly Christian, but with a strong Jewish influence.

                                If I were a dog, I'd be a mutt! LOL!!

                              • Caye Caswick
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

                                  Member how The Gouhl said PAARRRRRRma!

                                  ------------ -- Original message from Michelle Burke <mcmburke@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

> [...]

                                  Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
                                  overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
                                  in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
                                  two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
                                  here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
                                  Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
                                  formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
                                  for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
                                  “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
                                  still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
                                  as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
                                  prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
                                  > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and

                                • Michelle Burke
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                    I certainly do! (And then Ernie Anderson had a Saturday evening show -- Big Chuck & Houlihan, where they did a weekly Parma sketch -- who stole the kishka?).

                                    As I'm sitting here, I can't remember where I was born, but I think it was St. Anne's! (in 1952). I won't give you all of the details -- but my mom grew up in a coal patch town in Western Pennsylvania, and moved to Pittsburgh and then Cleveland (during the war), where she and her sister lived in a flat in a Cleveland two-flat owned by my father's mom, where she eventually met my father after the war. He was in the navy, moved around a lot, but long story short, eventually we returned to Cleveland in 1964. We lived in St. Benedict's parish (Buckeye Road), I went to Regina High School (South Euclid), and then left for Chicago for college (1970), where I have now ended up (strangely enough with a Chicagoan with some Slovak ancestry, though not entirely). I live in the Beverly neighborhood on the Southwest Side, where my South Side, non-Eastern European parish has an Easter basket blessing on Holy Saturday, which I find to be very interesting.

                                    Two of my brothers remained in Cleaveland (one of whom, Skeeter, remembers going to a party at your frat house, where he remembers the punch .... in the late 70's). The other one went to Cleveland State on and off throughout the 70's and 80's.

                                    We were just having a family discussion (two visiting brothers and my sister who lives in Chciago, too) about growing up Slovak in Cleveland, and what they meant and didn't mean to us and our parents. We concluded that neither our parents nor our grandparents had much sense of ethnic identity -- except for food and a few religious traditions, even though they grew up in ethnic enclave neighborhoods/towns.

                                    OK -- I guess that's enough about me!

                                  • fbican@att.net
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                      "We concluded that neither our parents nor our grandparents had much sense of ethnic identity -- except for food and a few religious traditions, even though they grew up in ethnic enclave neighborhoods/towns."

                                      That was pretty much my experience gtowing (born in 1953) as well. My grandfathers wanted to be Americans, and abandoned all of their ethnic ancestry. My grandmothers held onto it mostly through recipies and to a lesser-extent, the church. One generation down from me (my nephews) don't know or couldn't care less about Slovak or Czech herritage. That makes me cry.

                                      I guess it's up to us to keep it going as long as we can. I'll do whatever I can.

                                    • fbican@att.net
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 10, 2008
                                        "As I'm sitting here, I can't remember where I was born, but I think it was St. Anne's! (in 1952). "

                                        I don't remember the event (obviously), but I remember the story. My mom went into labor (1953) and my dad was racing through Independence, OH and the cops stopped him in his 1952 Chevy. They gave him an escort to Lutheran Hospital on W. 25th St., where I was born.

                                        I remember the strangest things. Please forgive me.

                                      • Caye Caswick
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008

                                          LOL, well I'll be!

                                          Caye

> [...]

                                          Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
                                          overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
                                          in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
                                          two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
                                          here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
                                          Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
                                          formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
                                          for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
                                          “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
                                          still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
                                          as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
                                          prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been
                                          > dishing up Slovenian versions of paprikash, stuffed cabbage, and

                                        • Caye Caswick
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 11, 2008

                                            Michele, I'm in Evergreen Park -- RIGHT NEXT DOOR -- small world!

                                            We'll have to hook up over at Starbucks or Cold Stone soon -- or Rainbow Cone -- or Top Notch and share some stories.

                                            Caye