Re: [Slovak-World] genealogy/Canadian entry

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23 9:15 PM
      "I had a relative come
      in through Halifax, Nova Scotia adn when I got the manifest the
      Canadian customs had a rubber stamp the said "in transit to the United
      States" and about a third of the passengers where stamped in that
      fashion."

      That reminded me. My late father's WWII US Army papers were stamped with a big red "PS", meaning "possible subversive" since his mother was born in Bratislava. I don't think the world has come very far since then.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "John" <jotis@...>: --------------

      You can get ship manifests for ships entering some Canadian ports from
      your local Family History Library. Unfortunately, they are not indexed
      anywhere as yet, as far as I know. The FHL can order films from Salt
      Lake City for about $7 for a 6 week rental period. If you relative then
      became a US citizen anad you can get copies of his naturalization
      papers, they will probably have the date and port of Canada where he
      entered. If you have a relative who actuallylived in Canada
      ancestry.com has some of their Censuses indexed. I had a relative come
      in through Halifax, Nova Scotia adn when I got the manifest the
      Canadian customs had a rubber stamp the said "in transit to the United
      States" and about a third of the passengers where stamped in that
      fashion.

      John