Slovakia Trip

  • Victoria Valentine
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 20 9:48 AM
      Well, we are finally doing it, going to Slovakia! I can't believe it. My
      husband and I will be spending a week with family in Námestovo, and because
      we figure that we will never have the chance again, will also be doing stops
      in Vienna, Paris and London. Our trip will be during 18 days in
      mid-September. Not long enough I'm sure, but it is unlikely that we will
      ever be able to make a trip like this again. My young cousin Juraj speaks
      English very well, at least I assume so because of his excellent written
      English, and due to the fact that he is spending the summer working at a
      camp in NY state. I've been trying to pick up some words and phrases from
      programs on the internet, but hope that I will learn more with immersion! I
      wish that I had been able to attend the program at Pitt that Polly has
      talked about, but with work and all ...

      I have some questions, which I do think have been asked before, but as I
      never thought that I would be making the trip myself, I didn't really pay
      attention to the answers. We do want to take some gifts, Juraj's
      grandmother, with whom we will be staying, is the daughter of my
      grandmother's sister. I will be taking her an album of photos of the
      family. She only has one photo of her grandparents, my great-grandparents,
      who left Slovakia when her mother was a girl. His grandfather is also
      living, and both are in their late 70's early 80's. Juraj's parent's
      (40-50's) are both professionals, doctors, and he has a younger sister
      (early teens) and an older brother (20's). I've already gotten some Steeler
      shirts, hey gotta promote the team!, and have been wondering what else would
      be good. Will our DVDs play there? I thought about making one of the area
      where the family settled and of some of the relatives here, and also of
      purchasing some for Juraj who likes American music. We are going to try to
      pack really light due to the costs of checked baggage, so lightweight
      suggestions would be nice. Paulina has already sent me a wonderful book
      about Zákamenné, the original home of the family, of course I can't READ any
      of it, but the photos are very nice.

      I also need suggestions for lodging in Bratislava, just for a night, and
      suggestions for Vienna, Paris and London would be great too! As long as I'm
      asking, I may as well ask BIG! We thought of taking the train to Vienna,
      has any one done that? I've also seen that there is a Danube River trip
      between the two cities, but don't know if that is for actual travel between
      the cities or if it is just sightseeing. Can I take my suitcase, and just
      get off and stay in Vienna?

      Here are websites for the two towns, in case anyone is interested.
      http://www.namestovo.sk/
      http://www.zakamenne.sk/

      Thanks for any help. I'm a real camera freak, so I will have lots of photos
      to post when I get back.
      Vickie
    • memzommi1@aol.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 12 8:14 PM