Ellis Island site... Eve's question

  • durisek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2008
      Hi Eve...
      I've gotten a lot of info from the Ellis Island site. The ship manifests vary in their usefulness, but you can find things like names of their closest relatives, the address where they are going, the list of who they were traveling with and how they are related, later notations about citizenship, if they were ever in the US before... all kinds of interesting info in addition to when they arrived and their physical description.
      Of course, there are the problems of trying to read the handwriting, of searching for mis-spelled or mis-read names.... I was overjoyed when I found my grandmother, because I'd searched forever .... her name had been copied to the search engine with 3 mistakes!
      The Ellis Island site is free, too... But you do need to register. If you want them to copy pages for you officially there is a charge.
      Best... Zuzka