seasoning

  • Edith Sando
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
      Someone mentioned yesterday or the day before about having salt,
      pepper, ketchup, and ???, a spice or seasoning I haven't heard of,
      which is in their spice cupboard saying something about that's all one
      needs.

      I can't find the post. So, if you could let me know because it was one
      that I hadn't heard of before. I'd like more information about it.

      Thanks,
      edie
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008

        Was it Herbs de Provance?

        Caye

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
          It might have been me. I made my herbs de provance yesterday. I've had a dessicator for years, so it's easy for me to dry herbs. I put all of the following into the little food processor, all dry:

          Dill
          Garlic
          Onion
          Compignon mushroom
          Red pepper
          Green pepper
          Celery
          Czerny pepper
          Sea salt
          Safran

          Ground it all up and put it in a jar. The dominant aroma is the dill. I fail to see how this conccotion wouldn't be good on just about anything. I've made it before, and it's very good.

          My kohlrabi are just about ready to harvest, and I'll use it in some chlebova polevka v kohlrabi. That's living at it's finest!

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

          Was it Herbs de Provance?

          Caye

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
            Hi! It could have been. I think whoever wrote it called it something house or house something.
            Thanks,
            edie

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
              These sound really good.
              Thanks,
              edie

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                Edie--

                I tried the cucumber salad with sour cream and my dill/cilantro/basil concocction tonight, and it was truly excellent. Be careful with the herb mix -- a little bit goes a long way! I used 1/8tsp with 1/2cup sour cream for 1 cucumber. Seemed just about right.

                BTW, I just ordered a couple of new desiccant packs, in aluminum containers. My old (>20yrs) paper ones have just about given up the ghost. I do like drying out herbs for use all year long.

                Kindest regards,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from "Edie" <sando1@...>: --------------

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                  Sounds great. I haven't dried any herbs or spices myself. I just buy them in the spice/seasoning aisle at the grocery store, but I like to put many different combinations on fish, chicken, stir fried veggies, and my spaghetti sauce. What's also tasty is the Asian chili sauces in the jars in the Asian food aisle. They are delicious, also. It's fun to try different flavors for a change of pace!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                    Edie--

                    Yes, you can get excellent herbs and spices in the grocery store. Growing my own and drying them is just a hobby for me. I think they're a little bit better than the store-bought ones, but not much. One exception is the home-grown dill. It is MUCH stronger than the grocery-store stuff.

                    I buy lots of dried herbs and vegetables from here:

                    http://www.barryfarm.com/

                    Always good for adding to a soup or stew in a pinch.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008

                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=herbs-de-provence-recipe&spell=1

                      There's a link to a Google search with many hits for making your own Herbs-de-Provence.

                      Although, there is no reason you can't just make a mix of whatever you have.  Drying herbs couldn't be easier -- just cut them and tie a cotton twine around the stems and hang upside down in a dry cool place -- I normally use the rafters in my basement storage closet -- although if you wait till fall, the garage would work just as well -- just put them in a place that doesn't get a lot of traffic or light.  Later you can even grind them and put them in little glass jars if you wish -- purchase a small coffee grinder just for this purpose -- you don't want your regular coffee tasting like Dill weed (or maybe you do!).

                      Caye

[...]

                      ------------ -- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

                      Was it Herbs de Provance?

                      Caye