Boric acid

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
      Marko--

      My one eye was feeling "scratchy" today, so I tried my mom's old remedy. Sterile water with 1% boric acid (not easy to find any more) and 0.5% sodium chloride. Fixed it right up. Them old gals knew what they were doing when it came to home remedies. Chicken soup ("Jewish penicillin"), tea with bourbon, and a couple of other's, and you're good! Maybe later on I'll soak my feet in some warm water and epson salts. That was one of grandma Toman's favorites.

      --skeeter

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008

        Yeah, it comes in powdered form at some pharmacies (I boil water and add about one teaspoon to a condiment-sized squeeze bottle [once the solution has cooled] -- keeps my dog's ears clean as a whistle)  -- but I too remember the eye cup and the boric acid wash -- great stuff!

        Caye

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
          Caye--

          When I finally found the boric acid, I think it was $4 for 5oz, probably a lifetime supply. They'd rather sell you the Baush & Lomb eyewash that costs far more. Same stuff, different price.

          When I was a kid, we also made sassafras tea, good for an upset stomach. Didn't cost a penny -- we had lots of sassafras growing in our woods.

          Sloan's Linament? I still have some. Principle ingredient? Turpentine.

          Hiccups? Hold your breath until you think you're going to pass out. Still works.

          Any other old-time remedies that I'm forgetting?

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008

            Just a really good spanking -- cures ANYTHING that ails anyone living on the entire block.

            ------------ -- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

            Yeah, it comes in powdered form at some pharmacies (I boil water and add about one teaspoon to a condiment-sized squeeze bottle [once the solution has cooled] -- keeps my dog's ears clean as a whistle) -- but I too remember the eye cup and the boric acid wash -- great stuff!

            Caye

            My one eye was feeling "scratchy" today, so I tried my mom's old remedy. Sterile water with 1% boric acid (not easy to find any more) and 0.5% sodium chloride. Fixed it right up. Them old gals knew what they were doing when it came to home remedies. Chicken soup ("Jewish penicillin") , tea with bourbon, and a couple of other's, and you're good! Maybe later on I'll soak my feet in some warm water and epson salts. That was one of grandma Toman's favorites.

            --skeeter

          • Edie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
              That's the way my grandmother cleaned her dog's eyes and ears, also. I had forgotten all about this.
              Thanks,
              edie

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
                Here's another old-time remedy (recommended by my oncology doctor when I was undergoing oral cancer treatment) that's good for a mouthwash:

                1 Litre water
                1 Tbsp baking soda
                1/2 tsp salt

                It's practically free, but I add a little lemon juice, just for the flavor. Peppermint is good, too. Other flavors? Whatever you like. You're the boss when making this sort of thing at home.

                Kindest regards,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from "Edie" <sando1@...>: --------------