Re: [Slovak-World] Europe trip

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
      Bob,

      Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
      would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
      been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
      the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

      > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
      > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
      > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
      > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
      > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
      > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
      > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
      > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
      > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
      > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
      > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
      > that shoe store. Small world!
      >
      > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
      > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
      > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
      > one day.
      >
      > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
      > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
      > River.
      >
      > Bob Pollak

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
        Cruises are so wonderful, but I was thinking of another type of fun to have in Slovakia that involves water and boats (kinda) and I am not talking about Easter :-P. Has anyone ever been on a plt'?  These are rafts guided around Liptov and Orava (usually, but you can find them in other regions as well...) and it is like a Slovak version of the gondola (except that it is a RAFT, not a boat- the singing and folk customs still thrive though.) This is one of those things that most tourists miss, and I would suggest going to the Orava castle, for example, and getting on a plt' there. these and the skanzen are sadly overlooked by tourists.
        Ben

        Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
        would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
        been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
        the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

        > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
        > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
        > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
        > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
        > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
        > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
        > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
        > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
        > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
        > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
        > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
        > that shoe store. Small world!
        >
        > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
        > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
        > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
        > one day.
        >
        > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
        > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
        > River.
        >
        > Bob Pollak

      • David
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
          Paul: I'm still hanging in there. I do more supervision and less giving tours. I'm more involved with the mine more then ever.
          I did lose my wife two months ago. It sure is lonely and very difficult running a home and taking care of the Mine Museum and Mine Tours. I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did. I was more like the old hunky husband that made the money, did the yard work, fixed the pluming etc. No house hold duties. Now I have to do it all. Women have it tough!
          Miner Dave Kuchta
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
            David--

            "I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did."

            That sounds like the household I grew up in. Mom did all of the cooking and housework, and dad tended to the coal furnace and yardwork. The most my dad could do in the kitchen was boil water! I've been on my own for more than 30 years now, and thanks to my mom and babička, I'm still getting by. I thank God for what they taught me. I might get senilný, but I know I won't trpieť hladom.

            Kindest regards,

            Skeeter

            -------------- Original message from "David" <humblebe@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
              Any idea where the source is in Chicago? I'm closer to there than Baltimore!

              Polly Walker

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 7, 2008

                I haven't been following this thread, so sorry, Polly if I'm repeating something you already know -- but Gilmart on Archer Avenue in Chicago carries Bryndza -- and sometimes, but not always Bobak's on Archer also has it.

                Caye

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 8, 2008
                  Thanks Caye! Yes, I still buy my bryndza at Gilmart whenever I am in Chicago however I was just checking to see if there was an alternate source.

                  Polly