Re: [Slovak-World] Europe trip

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
      "She noted I said zeli for cabbage and
      in Slovak it's kapusta, as she showed me in her dictionary."

      That brought back a fond memory of my late father. Zeli was sauerkrat in his parlance, as in knedlicy, zeli v brambory (pork, sauerkraut, and potatos, a Sunday dinner favorite in our house). Kapusta was plain cabbage, often eaten in halusky (cabbage and noodles). When the hospital I used to work at had halusky in the cafeteria (about once/month, and it was an excellent cafeteria) had halusky, I'd get a double-order. I made some halusky last month, and still have some in the freezer. That and some grilled klobasa, and I'm one happy camper! The only place I know where they have that on the menu is at Frank's Slovenian restaurant on E. 55th St. in Cleveland. I'm just a simple man with simple old-world tastes, I guess.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Matchett <wmatchett@...>: --------------

      I just returned from Europe, not Slovakia, but interestingly enough,
      was surrounded by Slovaks!

      From Amsterdam to Budapest on a Vantage cruise, a Slovak captain took
      the place of an ill Croatian captain. He was happy when I greeted him
      in Slovak and kissed my hand! Later on, he had to attend a wedding
      and had a friend from Trencin take over who was a Grand Circle
      captain. I met him one morning on deck, as I wondered if we were
      passing Komarno, SK. He said we already had and I said s~koda and
      then noticed his name tag being a Slovak name. We enjoyed a long
      conversation as we cruised the Danube with Slovakia on one side and
      Hungary on the other.

      The executive chef was from Bratislava. Also, the beautiful young
      woman who cleaned our cabin, a waiter and a crew mate were also from
      Slovakia and would greet me in Slovak whenever we met. I travelled
      with a friend since 1st grade because we celebrated our special
      birthdays this year. She would tell the other passengers that I spoke
      Slovak. Ha, not that fluently.

      A music lecturer from Vienna gave a talk on board and I later met him
      only to learn he was originally from Canada of Slovak parents. On the
      airplane from Budapest to JFK, I sat with a 23 year old from Kosice
      who was on her way to Maine to work for the summer. We talked a lot
      as she practiced her English. She noted I said zeli for cabbage and
      in Slovak it's kapusta, as she showed me in her dictionary.

      I learned the Main-Danube canal which connected the Main and Danube
      rivers was only completed in the 1980s and completes the waterway
      connection from Amsterdam to the Black Sea. It has been valuable to
      the tourist industry and transporting goods.

      The ship had most of its staff from Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary,
      Macedonia, Serbia and Croatia. All on board were very hard workers
      and were very pleasant.

      Julia Matchett

    • Robert Pollak
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
        My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
        The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at that shoe store. Small world!

        After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her one day.

        There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube River.

        Bob Pollak
        I just returned from Europe, not Slovakia, but interestingly enough,
        was surrounded by Slovaks!

        From Amsterdam to Budapest on a Vantage cruise, a Slovak captain took
[...]

        http://www.eset.com

      • John Polko
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hi Julie,

          Sounds like you had a great trip. I had a similar encounter with the
          Maitre'd on a boat turned hotel. We had supper which we paid for. But by
          the next day after the waitress told him that we were Slovaks, we ended up
          having a breakfast of 2 eggs and a large chunk of ham. There was a group
          of Germans who got the standard fare sitting along side of us. They
          couldn't help but stare at our brealfast with envy. Thats the way it used
          to be in the early 90"s. I doubt that you can't get that kind of service
          today.

          Best regards,

          John e. Polko

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
            Joyce:

            Can you tell me where this EuroGreetings is? My Slovak class wants to take a field trip to ethnic food markets.

            Polly

          • Paul Wolsko
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
              Dave!!! I go through long periods if silence - I'm like that...but I'm happy to see you're still in there! Still doing mine stuff? I'm planning a trip to Centralia soon - just to look around.

              Paul Wolsko

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                Bob,

                Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
                would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
                been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
                the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

                > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
                > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
                > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
                > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
                > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
                > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
                > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
                > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
                > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
                > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
                > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
                > that shoe store. Small world!
                >
                > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
                > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
                > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
                > one day.
                >
                > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
                > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
                > River.
                >
                > Bob Pollak

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Cruises are so wonderful, but I was thinking of another type of fun to have in Slovakia that involves water and boats (kinda) and I am not talking about Easter :-P. Has anyone ever been on a plt'?  These are rafts guided around Liptov and Orava (usually, but you can find them in other regions as well...) and it is like a Slovak version of the gondola (except that it is a RAFT, not a boat- the singing and folk customs still thrive though.) This is one of those things that most tourists miss, and I would suggest going to the Orava castle, for example, and getting on a plt' there. these and the skanzen are sadly overlooked by tourists.
                  Ben

                  Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
                  would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
                  been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
                  the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

                  > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
                  > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
                  > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
                  > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
                  > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
                  > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
                  > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
                  > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
                  > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
                  > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
                  > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
                  > that shoe store. Small world!
                  >
                  > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
                  > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
                  > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
                  > one day.
                  >
                  > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
                  > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
                  > River.
                  >
                  > Bob Pollak

                • David
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Paul: I'm still hanging in there. I do more supervision and less giving tours. I'm more involved with the mine more then ever.
                    I did lose my wife two months ago. It sure is lonely and very difficult running a home and taking care of the Mine Museum and Mine Tours. I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did. I was more like the old hunky husband that made the money, did the yard work, fixed the pluming etc. No house hold duties. Now I have to do it all. Women have it tough!
                    Miner Dave Kuchta

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                      David--

                      "I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did."

                      That sounds like the household I grew up in. Mom did all of the cooking and housework, and dad tended to the coal furnace and yardwork. The most my dad could do in the kitchen was boil water! I've been on my own for more than 30 years now, and thanks to my mom and babička, I'm still getting by. I thank God for what they taught me. I might get senilný, but I know I won't trpieť hladom.

                      Kindest regards,

                      Skeeter

                      -------------- Original message from "David" <humblebe@...>: --------------

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                        Any idea where the source is in Chicago? I'm closer to there than Baltimore!

                        Polly Walker

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 7, 2008

                          I haven't been following this thread, so sorry, Polly if I'm repeating something you already know -- but Gilmart on Archer Avenue in Chicago carries Bryndza -- and sometimes, but not always Bobak's on Archer also has it.

                          Caye

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 8, 2008
                            Thanks Caye! Yes, I still buy my bryndza at Gilmart whenever I am in Chicago however I was just checking to see if there was an alternate source.

                            Polly