Re: Re: [Slovak-World] Bryndza in Baltimore

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
      If these stores can import Bulgarian feta, they can import Bulgarian bryndza. The "Persian Market" near where I live (in northern VA) carries both. It may be a matter of having enough customers, but they might be able to special order the bryndza for you.

      >>> <bhewlett@...> 7/1/2008 8:55 PM >>>
      The imported feta from Bulgaria that I get at Euro Greetings, in Pittsburgh, is the closest thing I could find to bryndza. It's very good. You are right about it not lasting too long. I cut it up in sections and freeze it. Freezing doesn't seem to have any negative affect on it when it defrosts. I use it in halusky and sprinkle over spinach and use in salads.
      Joyce

      From: Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...>
      >Date: 2008/07/01 Tue PM 07:10:27 EDT
      >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Bryndza in Baltimore

      >Just curious, do you know if Bryndza is anything similar to Bulgarian Feta? Picked up some fresh, brine-packed, Bulgarian Feta a few days ago at a large ethnic market. Excellent, but doesn't last long.
      >
      >Paul Wolsko

    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
        I just returned from Europe, not Slovakia, but interestingly enough,
        was surrounded by Slovaks!

        From Amsterdam to Budapest on a Vantage cruise, a Slovak captain took
        the place of an ill Croatian captain. He was happy when I greeted him
        in Slovak and kissed my hand! Later on, he had to attend a wedding
        and had a friend from Trencin take over who was a Grand Circle
        captain. I met him one morning on deck, as I wondered if we were
        passing Komarno, SK. He said we already had and I said s~koda and
        then noticed his name tag being a Slovak name. We enjoyed a long
        conversation as we cruised the Danube with Slovakia on one side and
        Hungary on the other.

        The executive chef was from Bratislava. Also, the beautiful young
        woman who cleaned our cabin, a waiter and a crew mate were also from
        Slovakia and would greet me in Slovak whenever we met. I travelled
        with a friend since 1st grade because we celebrated our special
        birthdays this year. She would tell the other passengers that I spoke
        Slovak. Ha, not that fluently.

        A music lecturer from Vienna gave a talk on board and I later met him
        only to learn he was originally from Canada of Slovak parents. On the
        airplane from Budapest to JFK, I sat with a 23 year old from Kosice
        who was on her way to Maine to work for the summer. We talked a lot
        as she practiced her English. She noted I said zeli for cabbage and
        in Slovak it's kapusta, as she showed me in her dictionary.

        I learned the Main-Danube canal which connected the Main and Danube
        rivers was only completed in the 1980s and completes the waterway
        connection from Amsterdam to the Black Sea. It has been valuable to
        the tourist industry and transporting goods.

        The ship had most of its staff from Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary,
        Macedonia, Serbia and Croatia. All on board were very hard workers
        and were very pleasant.

        Julia Matchett
      • fbican@att.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
          "She noted I said zeli for cabbage and
          in Slovak it's kapusta, as she showed me in her dictionary."

          That brought back a fond memory of my late father. Zeli was sauerkrat in his parlance, as in knedlicy, zeli v brambory (pork, sauerkraut, and potatos, a Sunday dinner favorite in our house). Kapusta was plain cabbage, often eaten in halusky (cabbage and noodles). When the hospital I used to work at had halusky in the cafeteria (about once/month, and it was an excellent cafeteria) had halusky, I'd get a double-order. I made some halusky last month, and still have some in the freezer. That and some grilled klobasa, and I'm one happy camper! The only place I know where they have that on the menu is at Frank's Slovenian restaurant on E. 55th St. in Cleveland. I'm just a simple man with simple old-world tastes, I guess.

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Matchett <wmatchett@...>: --------------

          I just returned from Europe, not Slovakia, but interestingly enough,
          was surrounded by Slovaks!

          From Amsterdam to Budapest on a Vantage cruise, a Slovak captain took
[...]

        • Robert Pollak
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
            My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
            The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at that shoe store. Small world!

            After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her one day.

            There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube River.

            Bob Pollak
            I just returned from Europe, not Slovakia, but interestingly enough,
            was surrounded by Slovaks!

            From Amsterdam to Budapest on a Vantage cruise, a Slovak captain took
[...]

            http://www.eset.com

          • John Polko
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hi Julie,

              Sounds like you had a great trip. I had a similar encounter with the
              Maitre'd on a boat turned hotel. We had supper which we paid for. But by
              the next day after the waitress told him that we were Slovaks, we ended up
              having a breakfast of 2 eggs and a large chunk of ham. There was a group
              of Germans who got the standard fare sitting along side of us. They
              couldn't help but stare at our brealfast with envy. Thats the way it used
              to be in the early 90"s. I doubt that you can't get that kind of service
              today.

              Best regards,

              John e. Polko

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                Joyce:

                Can you tell me where this EuroGreetings is? My Slovak class wants to take a field trip to ethnic food markets.

                Polly

              • Paul Wolsko
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Dave!!! I go through long periods if silence - I'm like that...but I'm happy to see you're still in there! Still doing mine stuff? I'm planning a trip to Centralia soon - just to look around.

                  Paul Wolsko

                  Paul: I have missed your words of wisdom. Glad to see you back.
                  Miner Dave Kuchta

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Bob,

                    Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
                    would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
                    been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
                    the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

                    > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
                    > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
                    > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
                    > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
                    > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
                    > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
                    > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
                    > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
                    > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
                    > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
                    > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
                    > that shoe store. Small world!
                    >
                    > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
                    > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
                    > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
                    > one day.
                    >
                    > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
                    > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
                    > River.
                    >
                    > Bob Pollak

                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Cruises are so wonderful, but I was thinking of another type of fun to have in Slovakia that involves water and boats (kinda) and I am not talking about Easter :-P. Has anyone ever been on a plt'?  These are rafts guided around Liptov and Orava (usually, but you can find them in other regions as well...) and it is like a Slovak version of the gondola (except that it is a RAFT, not a boat- the singing and folk customs still thrive though.) This is one of those things that most tourists miss, and I would suggest going to the Orava castle, for example, and getting on a plt' there. these and the skanzen are sadly overlooked by tourists.
                      Ben

                      Thanks for your e-mail. My cruise did not stop at Bratislava. I
                      would have loved to have had a home hosted meal in Vajnory, having
                      been there on two of Helene's tours. The ship passed by Bratislava in
                      the night and I woke up to view the bright lights! Julia Matchett

                      > My wife and I were on a Vantage River Cruise from Vienna to
                      > Bucharest two years ago. The girl that worked the front desk was
                      > from Gemerska Horka, SLovakia. We got talking about Slovakia and my
                      > trips there. The ship stopped in Bratislava and we had a home hosted
                      > meal in Vajnory. The home we visited was just across the street from
                      > a museum that we visited on my first trip to Slovakia with Helene's
                      > 'Treasures of Slovakia' tour in 1996.
                      > The following December we were on another Vantage River Cruise from
                      > Nuremburg to Amsterdam. The same girl worked that cruise also. I
                      > told her that my cousin's wife owns a shoe store in Roznava. She
                      > told me that Gemerska Horka is not far from Roznava and she shops at
                      > that shoe store. Small world!
                      >
                      > After her contract with Vantage was up,she took a job as
                      > receptionist at a Spa across from the Domice Ice Caves. While I am
                      > in Krasnohorske Podhradie in October, I hope to have lunch with her
                      > one day.
                      >
                      > There were a number of Slovak tour guides on both cruises. Most of
                      > the help on both cruises were from the countries along the Danube
                      > River.
                      >
                      > Bob Pollak

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Paul: I'm still hanging in there. I do more supervision and less giving tours. I'm more involved with the mine more then ever.
                        I did lose my wife two months ago. It sure is lonely and very difficult running a home and taking care of the Mine Museum and Mine Tours. I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did. I was more like the old hunky husband that made the money, did the yard work, fixed the pluming etc. No house hold duties. Now I have to do it all. Women have it tough!
                        Miner Dave Kuchta

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                          David--

                          "I was sort of like a fish out of water...but I'm learning all the skills that the women folk did."

                          That sounds like the household I grew up in. Mom did all of the cooking and housework, and dad tended to the coal furnace and yardwork. The most my dad could do in the kitchen was boil water! I've been on my own for more than 30 years now, and thanks to my mom and babička, I'm still getting by. I thank God for what they taught me. I might get senilný, but I know I won't trpieť hladom.

                          Kindest regards,

                          Skeeter

                          -------------- Original message from "David" <humblebe@...>: --------------

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2008
                            Any idea where the source is in Chicago? I'm closer to there than Baltimore!

                            Polly Walker

                          • Caye Caswick
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 7, 2008

                              I haven't been following this thread, so sorry, Polly if I'm repeating something you already know -- but Gilmart on Archer Avenue in Chicago carries Bryndza -- and sometimes, but not always Bobak's on Archer also has it.

                              Caye

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 8, 2008
                                Thanks Caye! Yes, I still buy my bryndza at Gilmart whenever I am in Chicago however I was just checking to see if there was an alternate source.

                                Polly