Re: Slovak visitors and discoveries

  • slocrobear
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
      The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
      cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
      sell it too...

      Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...

      marko

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      wrote:

      > Good luck!
      > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
      of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
      grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
      one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
      I can think of is this:

      > Hruby- stone grind
      > Polohruby- all purpose
      > Hladky- cake flour.
      >
      > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
      know how that goes...
      > Ben

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
        THIS sounds like so much fun!!!!!! I think that Milka and I really resembled these people when we came back over- except I had a one up- I was "born and raised" here. I felt though, like I had emigrated twice :-P. I forgot so much about America (almost no cash changing hands, people trusting the credit system, and I never had a credit card as school loans were enough for me...)
        Shoes, clothing, and electronics are going to be sooo cheap for them- take them to Best Buy! ehheehehhe.  Misa and I are selective in what we buy as far as clothes go, but we save so much money compared. Gas too is cheaper here than in Slovakia.

        Is your truck automatic? In Slovakia, the majority of cars are manual (which I personally always prefered). Misa didn't know that putting the car in D would automatically move it forward- :-) I am so glad there was no damage on Dad's Jeep.....

        Ben

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
          Because of the Pacific influence we have many, many oriental and
          Pacific Island peoples, not much for Central European. Russians form
          a small community, however.

          This morning we went to the local coffee house/ delicatessen and had a
          video - talk with the Slovak family. They were all very happy to have
          the opportunity (after all, the two have been gone since Friday and
          today is Tuesday). I suppose the session went on well over an hour,
          disturbed no one and they also both enjoyed coffee and "All American"
          breakfasts while visiting, using the opportunity to describe the
          American food - which quickly disappeared.

          There is quite a bit to do around the house to prepare it for sale and
          the 'kids' have jumped in whole heartedly, and they are quick to pick
          up on what or how something is to be done, so we are mixing necessary
          tasks with tourism. This led to me pulling out a chalk line to snap a
          straight line and the "Abrakadabra, Kalamazoo" for my low-tech magic
          went no where when I heard a quick "brnkac^ka" - snap line, I guess.

          Tomorrow it is off to a real estate session, oven repair and then off
          to computer stores, construction supplies and a "bore tide" which is
          a rare enough opportunity here. The tide is just right about 5:23 PM
          tomorrow a bit south of town. It looks like a great start to two months.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "slocrobear" <cahek@...> wrote:

          > The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
          > cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
          > sell it too...
          >
          > Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...
          >
          > marko
          >
          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Good luck!
          > > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
          > of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
          > grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
          > one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
          > I can think of is this:
          > >
          > > Hruby- stone grind
          > > Polohruby- all purpose
          > > Hladky- cake flour.
          > >
          > > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
          > know how that goes...
          > > Ben

        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
            Does anyone know what Slovak ginger is? It seems that American ginger
            is quite different. What do I look for?

            Ron
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
              Look for zazvor. :-)
              Ben

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                Ooops. I was a bit careless. I guess we are looking for zazvor and
                standard American ground ginger is not the same.

                I do not know if I am looking for a root, a stalk, a leaf or where to
                look for it in US stores. In a natural health food store??

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                > Look for zazvor. :-)
                > Ben

              • Ginger
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                  I wondered why you were addressing this to me, then I read the email.  lol