Re: Slovak visitors and discoveries

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
      Well, we went to a Fred Meyer today and found general purpose flour
      and passed on the wheat flour; I didn't read this note from you until
      late tonight.

      This was their second trip to a grocery store (we stopped at my
      favorite market on the way home from the airport to assure they
      started the next day with their choice of foods for breakfast). They
      quickly identified Freddie's as "an American Tesco", which quite well
      summed it up. It will be interesting to see what they gather to take
      home with them, as so many things are cheaper in the US than they are
      in Slovakia. Converse shoes on sale (evidently the thing with late
      teens / early 20's) are $20 or SKS400 here and SKS1700 at home. We
      will see about a skateboard for little brother and a computer as well
      ... Camera memory chips that cost $30 or $35 here would be three
      times that in SK.

      This is a real discovery tour for the three of us. Skype with the
      family in SK is once or twice a day so far, which is fine. Tomorrow
      we take the first drive in the "big American truck". I feel a bit
      like the Marines giving the BAR to the smallest guy in the platoon; I
      can hardly wait to see the very petite young lady climb into the 4WD
      truck and then drive it. She is also a bit anxious to drive it; her
      SK license is perhaps a month old. They took off on the bikes for a
      bit tonight & we had a short hike up the mountain but turned around
      when we encountered some fairly fresh bear scat on the trail. They
      must return home in full health!

      Ron
      PS My attempt to cook (soup) today was superseded when I was kicked
      out of the kitchen and a Slovak soup was served instead. Ahh... it is
      nice to be spoiled!

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

      > With flour we never get what we want, Misa and I found, but you are
      on the right track.You are missing all purpose flour (polohruby) to be
      safe.The wheat flour is close to hruba, but the hladka is definately
      cake flour.
      > I just got back from the grocery, and I checked it out with what I
      remember from Slovakia. I haven't used this stuff myself, so it may
      not REACT the way it should for slovak cooking. But I looked at it (by
      buying it and taking it to a neighbor who can use it :-) ) and the
      stone grind whole wheat is close to hruba, all purpose is close to
      polohladka, and cake flour looked like hladka.
      > I hope this helps.
      > Ben

      (p¹enièná múka) and buckwheat (pohánka). So which is the third one
      that I'm missing?
      <rmat@mtaonline. net>: ------------ --

      > OK, I may be herded around with all of the things we must do, so my
      > spelling and attention may suffer. However, I heard there are three
      > kinds of flour.
      > Just had another typo that one of the visitors caught.
      >
      > What are the three kinds of flour, what are their uses and where do I
      > find them?
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
      > > mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
      > > Slovak flour.
      > >
      > > hladky
      > > hruby
      > > polohruby
      > >
      > > Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
      > > store that is the same as these?
      > >
      > > Ron

    • slocrobear
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
        The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
        cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
        sell it too...

        Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...

        marko

        wrote:

        > Good luck!
        > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
        of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
        grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
        one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
        I can think of is this:

        > Hruby- stone grind
        > Polohruby- all purpose
        > Hladky- cake flour.
        >
        > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
        know how that goes...
        > Ben

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
          THIS sounds like so much fun!!!!!! I think that Milka and I really resembled these people when we came back over- except I had a one up- I was "born and raised" here. I felt though, like I had emigrated twice :-P. I forgot so much about America (almost no cash changing hands, people trusting the credit system, and I never had a credit card as school loans were enough for me...)
          Shoes, clothing, and electronics are going to be sooo cheap for them- take them to Best Buy! ehheehehhe.  Misa and I are selective in what we buy as far as clothes go, but we save so much money compared. Gas too is cheaper here than in Slovakia.

          Is your truck automatic? In Slovakia, the majority of cars are manual (which I personally always prefered). Misa didn't know that putting the car in D would automatically move it forward- :-) I am so glad there was no damage on Dad's Jeep.....

          Ben

          Well, we went to a Fred Meyer today and found general purpose flour
          and passed on the wheat flour; I didn't read this note from you until
          late tonight.

          This was their second trip to a grocery store (we stopped at my
          favorite market on the way home from the airport to assure they
          started the next day with their choice of foods for breakfast). They
          quickly identified Freddie's as "an American Tesco", which quite well
          summed it up. It will be interesting to see what they gather to take
          home with them, as so many things are cheaper in the US than they are
          in Slovakia. Converse shoes on sale (evidently the thing with late
          teens / early 20's) are $20 or SKS400 here and SKS1700 at home. We
          will see about a skateboard for little brother and a computer as well
          ... Camera memory chips that cost $30 or $35 here would be three
          times that in SK.

          This is a real discovery tour for the three of us. Skype with the
          family in SK is once or twice a day so far, which is fine. Tomorrow
          we take the first drive in the "big American truck". I feel a bit
          like the Marines giving the BAR to the smallest guy in the platoon; I
          can hardly wait to see the very petite young lady climb into the 4WD
          truck and then drive it. She is also a bit anxious to drive it; her
          SK license is perhaps a month old. They took off on the bikes for a
          bit tonight & we had a short hike up the mountain but turned around
          when we encountered some fairly fresh bear scat on the trail. They
          must return home in full health!

          Ron
          PS My attempt to cook (soup) today was superseded when I was kicked
          out of the kitchen and a Slovak soup was served instead. Ahh... it is
          nice to be spoiled!

          --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

          > With flour we never get what we want, Misa and I found, but you are
          on the right track.You are missing all purpose flour (polohruby) to be
          safe.The wheat flour is close to hruba, but the hladka is definately
          cake flour.
          > I just got back from the grocery, and I checked it out with what I
          remember from Slovakia. I haven't used this stuff myself, so it may
          not REACT the way it should for slovak cooking. But I looked at it (by
          buying it and taking it to a neighbor who can use it :-) ) and the
          stone grind whole wheat is close to hruba, all purpose is close to
          polohladka, and cake flour looked like hladka.
          > I hope this helps.
          > Ben

        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
            Because of the Pacific influence we have many, many oriental and
            Pacific Island peoples, not much for Central European. Russians form
            a small community, however.

            This morning we went to the local coffee house/ delicatessen and had a
            video - talk with the Slovak family. They were all very happy to have
            the opportunity (after all, the two have been gone since Friday and
            today is Tuesday). I suppose the session went on well over an hour,
            disturbed no one and they also both enjoyed coffee and "All American"
            breakfasts while visiting, using the opportunity to describe the
            American food - which quickly disappeared.

            There is quite a bit to do around the house to prepare it for sale and
            the 'kids' have jumped in whole heartedly, and they are quick to pick
            up on what or how something is to be done, so we are mixing necessary
            tasks with tourism. This led to me pulling out a chalk line to snap a
            straight line and the "Abrakadabra, Kalamazoo" for my low-tech magic
            went no where when I heard a quick "brnkac^ka" - snap line, I guess.

            Tomorrow it is off to a real estate session, oven repair and then off
            to computer stores, construction supplies and a "bore tide" which is
            a rare enough opportunity here. The tide is just right about 5:23 PM
            tomorrow a bit south of town. It looks like a great start to two months.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "slocrobear" <cahek@...> wrote:

            > The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
            > cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
            > sell it too...
            >
            > Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...
            >
            > marko
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Good luck!
            > > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
            > of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
            > grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
            > one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
            > I can think of is this:
            > >
            > > Hruby- stone grind
            > > Polohruby- all purpose
            > > Hladky- cake flour.
            > >
            > > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
            > know how that goes...
            > > Ben

          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
              Does anyone know what Slovak ginger is? It seems that American ginger
              is quite different. What do I look for?

              Ron
            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
                Look for zazvor. :-)
                Ben

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                  Ooops. I was a bit careless. I guess we are looking for zazvor and
                  standard American ground ginger is not the same.

                  I do not know if I am looking for a root, a stalk, a leaf or where to
                  look for it in US stores. In a natural health food store??

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                  > Look for zazvor. :-)
                  > Ben

                • Ginger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                    I wondered why you were addressing this to me, then I read the email.  lol