Re: [Slovak-World] Re: uhorka salat

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 30, 2008
      Wow... sounds like fun! Is there an intermediate/advanced course availible? I am soooo jealous of you right now...
      But I guess I will go through the same here in about a week. :-) Doma, sladka doma!

      I found sklonovanie to be really hard at first, especially with words that are under one model in the singular and under another under the plural.  But, after a while, it just makes sense. I had to stop thinking in English, and tell myself "I am three years old." At that point, when a picture or a feeling became associated with a Slovak word rather than a feeling or a picture, then an English concept, then a Slovak concept, I found that the language just CAME to me as I conversed. I would hear a word, get it in context (usually...) and associate it directly. Now I can't help it. :-) I am by no means a native speaker.....
      Which week are you in now?
      Ben

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1, 2008
        Ben:

        Yes, there is an intermediate class. I probably should have signed up for that one as the book they are using at home for my Slovak Class is the same and we are almost finished with that...but I felt I needed to go back to day one and try and get this grammar stuff down. It is coming albeit slowly.

        They may offer an advanced class if there is enough interest next summer. They need a minimum of four people. We have ten in people in the beginning class and five in the intermediate class this year....largest ever.

        They have also added the option of studying at Modra through Comenius University. The students will leave here after our six weeks, spend three weeks studying there and then one week traveling. Wish I could do that but I was pushing it already taking six weeks off of work. We are in our fourth week already. The time is going by quickly...but I will definitely be back next year for the intermediate course.

        Polly