Slovak visitors and discoveries

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
      Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
      mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
      Slovak flour.

      hladky
      hruby
      polohruby

      Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
      store that is the same as these?

      Ron
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
        OK, I may be herded around with all of the things we must do, so my
        spelling and attention may suffer. However, I heard there are three
        kinds of flour.
        Just had another typo that one of the visitors caught.

        What are the three kinds of flour, what are their uses and where do I
        find them?

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@...> wrote:

        > Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
        > mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
        > Slovak flour.
        >
        > hladky
        > hruby
        > polohruby
        >
        > Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
        > store that is the same as these?
        >
        > Ron

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
          Good luck!
          Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best I can think of is this:

          Hruby- stone grind
          Polohruby- all purpose
          Hladky- cake flour.

          this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You know how that goes...
          Ben

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
            My pantry is deficient. It only has two types of flour, wheat (pšeničná múka) and buckwheat (pohánka). So which is the third one that I'm missing?
            -------------- Original message from "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@...>: --------------

            OK, I may be herded around with all of the things we must do, so my
            spelling and attention may suffer. However, I heard there are three
            kinds of flour.
            Just had another typo that one of the visitors caught.

            What are the three kinds of flour, what are their uses and where do I
            find them?

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@...> wrote:

            > Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
            > mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
            > Slovak flour.
            >
            > hladky
            > hruby
            > polohruby
            >
            > Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
            > store that is the same as these?
            >
            > Ron

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
              With flour we never get what we want, Misa and�I found, but you are on the right track.You are missing all purpose flour (polohruby) to be safe.The wheat flour is close to hruba, but the hladka is definately cake flour.
              I just got back from the grocery, and I checked it out with what I remember from Slovakia. I haven't used this stuff myself, so it may not REACT the way it should for slovak cooking. But I looked at it (by buying it and taking it to a neighbor who can use it :-) ) and the stone grind whole wheat is close to hruba, all purpose is close to polohladka, and cake flour looked like hladka.
              I hope this helps.
              Ben
              My pantry is deficient. It only has two types of flour, wheat (p�eni�n� m�ka) and buckwheat (poh�nka). So which is the third one that I'm missing?
              ------------ -- Original message from "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@mtaonline. net>: ------------ --

              OK, I may be herded around with all of the things we must do, so my
              spelling and attention may suffer. However, I heard there are three
              kinds of flour.
              Just had another typo that one of the visitors caught.

              What are the three kinds of flour, what are their uses and where do I
              find them?

              --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
              > mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
              > Slovak flour.
              >
              > hladky
              > hruby
              > polohruby
              >
              > Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
              > store that is the same as these?
              >
              > Ron

            • Ron Matviyak
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                Well, we went to a Fred Meyer today and found general purpose flour
                and passed on the wheat flour; I didn't read this note from you until
                late tonight.

                This was their second trip to a grocery store (we stopped at my
                favorite market on the way home from the airport to assure they
                started the next day with their choice of foods for breakfast). They
                quickly identified Freddie's as "an American Tesco", which quite well
                summed it up. It will be interesting to see what they gather to take
                home with them, as so many things are cheaper in the US than they are
                in Slovakia. Converse shoes on sale (evidently the thing with late
                teens / early 20's) are $20 or SKS400 here and SKS1700 at home. We
                will see about a skateboard for little brother and a computer as well
                ... Camera memory chips that cost $30 or $35 here would be three
                times that in SK.

                This is a real discovery tour for the three of us. Skype with the
                family in SK is once or twice a day so far, which is fine. Tomorrow
                we take the first drive in the "big American truck". I feel a bit
                like the Marines giving the BAR to the smallest guy in the platoon; I
                can hardly wait to see the very petite young lady climb into the 4WD
                truck and then drive it. She is also a bit anxious to drive it; her
                SK license is perhaps a month old. They took off on the bikes for a
                bit tonight & we had a short hike up the mountain but turned around
                when we encountered some fairly fresh bear scat on the trail. They
                must return home in full health!

                Ron
                PS My attempt to cook (soup) today was superseded when I was kicked
                out of the kitchen and a Slovak soup was served instead. Ahh... it is
                nice to be spoiled!

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                > With flour we never get what we want, Misa and I found, but you are
                on the right track.You are missing all purpose flour (polohruby) to be
                safe.The wheat flour is close to hruba, but the hladka is definately
                cake flour.
                > I just got back from the grocery, and I checked it out with what I
                remember from Slovakia. I haven't used this stuff myself, so it may
                not REACT the way it should for slovak cooking. But I looked at it (by
                buying it and taking it to a neighbor who can use it :-) ) and the
                stone grind whole wheat is close to hruba, all purpose is close to
                polohladka, and cake flour looked like hladka.
                > I hope this helps.
                > Ben

                (p¹enièná múka) and buckwheat (pohánka). So which is the third one
                that I'm missing?
                > ------------ -- Original message from "Ron Matviyak"
                <rmat@mtaonline. net>: ------------ --

                > OK, I may be herded around with all of the things we must do, so my
                > spelling and attention may suffer. However, I heard there are three
                > kinds of flour.
                > Just had another typo that one of the visitors caught.
                >
                > What are the three kinds of flour, what are their uses and where do I
                > find them?
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Ron Matviyak" <rmat@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ok, I am plenty busy with two visitors from Slovakia. This is a
                > > mutual discovery tour in Alaska. I just herd there are three kinds of
                > > Slovak flour.
                > >
                > > hladky
                > > hruby
                > > polohruby
                > >
                > > Can anyone give me guidance on what we can buy in the American grocery
                > > store that is the same as these?
                > >
                > > Ron

              • slocrobear
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                  The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
                  cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
                  sell it too...

                  Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...

                  marko

                  wrote:

                  > Good luck!
                  > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
                  of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
                  grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
                  one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
                  I can think of is this:

                  > Hruby- stone grind
                  > Polohruby- all purpose
                  > Hladky- cake flour.
                  >
                  > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
                  know how that goes...
                  > Ben

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                    THIS sounds like so much fun!!!!!! I think that Milka and I really resembled these people when we came back over- except I had a one up- I was "born and raised" here. I felt though, like I had emigrated twice :-P. I forgot so much about America (almost no cash changing hands, people trusting the credit system, and I never had a credit card as school loans were enough for me...)
                    Shoes, clothing, and electronics are going to be sooo cheap for them- take them to Best Buy! ehheehehhe.  Misa and I are selective in what we buy as far as clothes go, but we save so much money compared. Gas too is cheaper here than in Slovakia.

                    Is your truck automatic? In Slovakia, the majority of cars are manual (which I personally always prefered). Misa didn't know that putting the car in D would automatically move it forward- :-) I am so glad there was no damage on Dad's Jeep.....

                    Ben

                    Well, we went to a Fred Meyer today and found general purpose flour
                    and passed on the wheat flour; I didn't read this note from you until
                    late tonight.

                    This was their second trip to a grocery store (we stopped at my
                    favorite market on the way home from the airport to assure they
                    started the next day with their choice of foods for breakfast). They
                    quickly identified Freddie's as "an American Tesco", which quite well
                    summed it up. It will be interesting to see what they gather to take
                    home with them, as so many things are cheaper in the US than they are
                    in Slovakia. Converse shoes on sale (evidently the thing with late
                    teens / early 20's) are $20 or SKS400 here and SKS1700 at home. We
                    will see about a skateboard for little brother and a computer as well
                    ... Camera memory chips that cost $30 or $35 here would be three
                    times that in SK.

                    This is a real discovery tour for the three of us. Skype with the
                    family in SK is once or twice a day so far, which is fine. Tomorrow
                    we take the first drive in the "big American truck". I feel a bit
                    like the Marines giving the BAR to the smallest guy in the platoon; I
                    can hardly wait to see the very petite young lady climb into the 4WD
                    truck and then drive it. She is also a bit anxious to drive it; her
                    SK license is perhaps a month old. They took off on the bikes for a
                    bit tonight & we had a short hike up the mountain but turned around
                    when we encountered some fairly fresh bear scat on the trail. They
                    must return home in full health!

                    Ron
                    PS My attempt to cook (soup) today was superseded when I was kicked
                    out of the kitchen and a Slovak soup was served instead. Ahh... it is
                    nice to be spoiled!

                    --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

                    > With flour we never get what we want, Misa and I found, but you are
                    on the right track.You are missing all purpose flour (polohruby) to be
                    safe.The wheat flour is close to hruba, but the hladka is definately
                    cake flour.
                    > I just got back from the grocery, and I checked it out with what I
                    remember from Slovakia. I haven't used this stuff myself, so it may
                    not REACT the way it should for slovak cooking. But I looked at it (by
                    buying it and taking it to a neighbor who can use it :-) ) and the
                    stone grind whole wheat is close to hruba, all purpose is close to
                    polohladka, and cake flour looked like hladka.
                    > I hope this helps.
                    > Ben

                  • Ron Matviyak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Because of the Pacific influence we have many, many oriental and
                      Pacific Island peoples, not much for Central European. Russians form
                      a small community, however.

                      This morning we went to the local coffee house/ delicatessen and had a
                      video - talk with the Slovak family. They were all very happy to have
                      the opportunity (after all, the two have been gone since Friday and
                      today is Tuesday). I suppose the session went on well over an hour,
                      disturbed no one and they also both enjoyed coffee and "All American"
                      breakfasts while visiting, using the opportunity to describe the
                      American food - which quickly disappeared.

                      There is quite a bit to do around the house to prepare it for sale and
                      the 'kids' have jumped in whole heartedly, and they are quick to pick
                      up on what or how something is to be done, so we are mixing necessary
                      tasks with tourism. This led to me pulling out a chalk line to snap a
                      straight line and the "Abrakadabra, Kalamazoo" for my low-tech magic
                      went no where when I heard a quick "brnkac^ka" - snap line, I guess.

                      Tomorrow it is off to a real estate session, oven repair and then off
                      to computer stores, construction supplies and a "bore tide" which is
                      a rare enough opportunity here. The tide is just right about 5:23 PM
                      tomorrow a bit south of town. It looks like a great start to two months.

                      Ron

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "slocrobear" <cahek@...> wrote:

                      > The Polish deli that I shop at sells Vegeta in 3 different size
                      > cans. I'd also check any Croatian or Serbian shops near you, they'll
                      > sell it too...
                      >
                      > Have to check on the flour and see if they have there...
                      >
                      > marko
                      >
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Good luck!
                      > > Misa and I have been having the same problem- so now we cook out
                      > of boxes. Hladky is a very smooth, fine grind, and hruby is coarse
                      > grind. Polohruby is right in the middle. It is like vegeta, which no
                      > one in Slovakia can eat soup without- where do you find it? The best
                      > I can think of is this:
                      > >
                      > > Hruby- stone grind
                      > > Polohruby- all purpose
                      > > Hladky- cake flour.
                      > >
                      > > this is how we kinda fixed it, but it isn't exactly the same. You
                      > know how that goes...
                      > > Ben

                    • Ron Matviyak
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
                        Does anyone know what Slovak ginger is? It seems that American ginger
                        is quite different. What do I look for?

                        Ron
                      • Ben Sorensen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
                          Look for zazvor. :-)
                          Ben

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                            Ooops. I was a bit careless. I guess we are looking for zazvor and
                            standard American ground ginger is not the same.

                            I do not know if I am looking for a root, a stalk, a leaf or where to
                            look for it in US stores. In a natural health food store??

                            Ron

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                            > Look for zazvor. :-)
                            > Ben

                          • Ginger
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 15, 2008
                              I wondered why you were addressing this to me, then I read the email.  lol