A sad day

  • Lowell H Brigham
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      It is a very sad day for those of us with connections to NASA's manned
      space program. The 7 astronauts who died in the skies over Texas were
      our neighbors and friends. To illustrate the closeness of this tragedy,
      our daughter's boy friend (name is Steve) is an astronaut preparing for
      his 4th flight in March. We have been fortunate to be invited guests at
      each of Steve's flights. Rick Husband, the commander of this fateful
      flight was one of Steve's best friends. On Steve's last flight, Rick
      was assigned to be our guide for the launch and we spent a number of
      hours with Rick and have many pictures of him answering our questions
      and making sure that we were comfortable.

      Another of our friends is a survivor of the Holocaust. We were planning
      to take her to the local NASA facility to welcome Rick Husband and his
      crew (including an Israeli astronaut) back home. Now we can only see
      the flags at half-staff and the flowers placed at the entrance to our
      NASA facility.

      While we are still grieving; the professionals who support the manned
      space program are already working to identify the cause of the disaster.
      It is a distinct privilege to know that I was associated (in a small
      way) with such an impressive group of people.

      Lowell
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        Lowell,
        Life is so fragile. What a horrible tragedy this is. I am sorry for your
        family's personal loss in knowing some of those who died. The only possible
        comfort is in knowing that they died doing what they loved and that their
        sacrifice was one so generously made. What a loss to those left behind. May
        they be with God at this very moment. They are in so many people's prayers on
        this sad day.
        Noreen
      • Steve Botnovcan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          We easily forget how dangerous space flight is. A few successes lead us to
          feel comfortable. But these men and women risk their lives when they climb
          aboard a spacecraft and leave terra firma.

          I lived in central FL and watched several launches and when they were
          returning, the neighborhood would gather in the street to see the shuttle pass
          overhead and hear the "sonic boom" as it headed to the landing site.

          It will take weeks, or longer, to determine the cause of this particular
          accident. But clearly we need to update the fleet, and there is not much
          popular support for spending on NASA's needs. That's too bad, in my humble
          opinion, because we have reaped more good from the space program than any
          other gov'mt spending in the last 40 years.

          My flag has been lowered to half-staff. My heart aches for the families. I
          pray we will never suffer another loss, but I know that is too much to ask.

          Steve