uhorka salat

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 27 5:48 PM
      Any one else here like this as well as me? Cucumber salad, with cibula (onions) and kyslý smotana (sour cream), one of my favorites from my grandmother. My Slovak buddy is going to bring me some fresh kôpor (dill) from his záhrada (garden) tomorrow, and I'm sure that's going to be a good addition. Please pardon me if my Slovak translations aren't all that great. At age 55, I'm still learning.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

    • durisek
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 27 6:21 PM
        My dad used to salt the sliced fresh cukes and let them stand so that the water came out of them, then rinsed and put vinegar in to re-hydrate them. Pretty strong stuff, but he loved them. Z.

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 27 6:39 PM
          I think the translation is just fine, :-)  kysla smotana, cibula, kopor, i uhorky! I am sooo hungry now....
          when do we eat?
          Ben
          Any one else here like this as well as me? Cucumber salad, with cibula (onions) and kyslý smotana (sour cream), one of my favorites from my grandmother. My Slovak buddy is going to bring me some fresh kôpor (dill) from his záhrada (garden) tomorrow, and I'm sure that's going to be a good addition. Please pardon me if my Slovak translations aren't all that great. At age 55, I'm still learning.

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 28 3:35 AM
            At 09:39 AM 28/06/2008, you wrote:

            >I think the translation is just fine, :-) kysla smotana, cibula,
            >kopor, i uhorky.

            I have looked them all up on Google and am still non the wiser?

            Nick
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 28 3:35 AM
              My Mum did that as well. It takes the acidic taste from the
              cucumbers. It is a great cucumber salad.

              Nick
            • fbican@att.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 28 4:34 AM
                Nick--

                Try looking here, not Google

                http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Slovak-Dictionary/

                I'd be lost without it.

                Kindest regards,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 28 5:02 AM
                    Cucumber salad with sour cream is the BEST! However, did your grandma's make "strawberries with sour cream"? Better than whip cream. Maxine Sasala

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 28 6:16 AM
                      My dad's parents were Polish and his mother made this. It was one of my
                      dad's favorites so my mom learned to make it for him. That said, I find it
                      much better when made with "hot house" or "English" cucumbers rather than
                      the usual waxy American variant that has to be peeled before you can eat it.
                      As for salting the sliced cucumbers to remove the water, it's a matter of
                      taste but I think that was part of my mom's recipe, too.

                      I also encountered another variant of cucumber salad in many European
                      countries. In this one, the cucumber was sliced very thin and served with a
                      very light dressing of vinegar, sugar, and enough water to take the acidity
                      of the vinegar down a bit. Sometimes it would be sprinkled with dill and
                      sometimes with parsley.

                      Paul in NW FL

                    • Nick Holcz
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 28 7:26 AM
                        Skeeter, that didn't help either, thanks anyway

                        Nick
                      • fbican@att.net
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 28 8:21 AM
                          No, I don't remember strawberies with sour cream, but I'm going to have to try that. Everything is better with sour cream!! Baked potatoes for me are merely a vehicle for eating sour cream. What would beef stroganoff be without sour cream? A little on some halusky? Better than caviar in my mind. Buttermilk is a close second. After all, virtually every place (around me at least) serves "ranch" salad dressing, and the primary ingredient is buttermilk.

                          Cheese? More fermented milk, but don't get me started. That's a whole different topic for another day.

                          Kindest regards,

                          Skeeter

                          -------------- Original message from "maxine" <maxine96@...>: --------------

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 28 9:57 AM
                            Complete agreement. When I was a kid, we grew our own cucumbers, and they were fine. The waxed ones (for shipping puposes, I suppose) are awful.

                            One of my neighbors used to grow "english" cucumbers on a trellis, and they were wonderful. That's the only variety I'll but any longer.

                            Kindest regards,

                            Skeeter

                            -------------- Original message from "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>: --------------

                            My dad's parents were Polish and his mother made this. It was one of my
                            dad's favorites so my mom learned to make it for him. That said, I find it
                            much better when made with "hot house" or "English" cucumbers rather than
                            the usual waxy American variant that has to be peeled before you can eat it.
                            As for salting the sliced cucumbers to remove the water, it's a matter of
                            taste but I think that was part of my mom's recipe, too.

                            I also encountered another variant of cucumber salad in many European
                            countries. In this one, the cucumber was sliced very thin and served with a
                            very light dressing of vinegar, sugar, and enough water to take the acidity
                            of the vinegar down a bit. Sometimes it would be sprinkled with dill and
                            sometimes with parsley.

                            Paul in NW FL

                          • Robert Pollak
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 28 11:47 AM
                              For a different kind of dessert, my wife sometimes serves fresh strawberries on a plate with sour cream and brown sugar. You pick up the strawberry by the stem, dip it into the sour cream and then roll it in the brown sugar.

                              The first time I heard of it I wasn't crazy about it but once I tried it, I loved it.

                              Bob Pollak

                              http://www.eset.com

                            • Taoz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28 11:58 AM
                                I loved that cucumber salad. Used to have it a lot. Miss it

                                Pavel

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 28 2:16 PM
                                  Strawberries and sour cream:
                                  I cut the berries up and sugar each layer. You should let me sit for a while to let their juices out. Sometimes I pour a little of Raseberry Syrup over the berries.
                                  Then I mix the whole container of sour cream into the berries and let them sit again. wow what a taste maxine sasala

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 29 5:56 PM
                                    Skeeter:

                                    Interesting that you should bring this up! Our Slovak Class at Pitt's SLI was featured on Friday for our weekly Happy Hour. We made halushky for 150...and we also had Uhorkovy Salat. I haven't had it in years....my husband hates cucumbers!!! But it brought back lots of memories...my mother made it all the time during the summer when I was growing up...around the same time you were!

                                    Polly

                                  • Ben Sorensen
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 29 6:25 PM
                                      Hey Polly,
                                      What is the class like? How goes it? It sounds like fun...
                                      Ben

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 29 7:03 PM
                                        Polly--

                                        I have some cucumbers, sour cream, and dill that my friend brought to me from his garden. I'm going to make some uhorka salat this week. Nothing goes better with a grilled klobasa than that!

                                        Yes, I'm a simple man with simple tastes, and I have no appolgies for that. Oh, I make escargot, calamari, and filet mignon sometimes, but the old recipes are the ones that ring my bell best!

                                        Kindest regards,

                                        Skeeter

                                        -------------- Original message from Paw1776 <paw1776@...>: --------------

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 29 7:06 PM
                                          Skeeter, I am coming to your house for dinner while Misa is away. :p It is amazing what you can cook... I have to learn how to cook. I made fries and popcorn today....
                                          Ben

                                          ------------ -- Original message from Paw1776 <paw1776@aol. com>: ------------ --

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 29 7:49 PM
                                            Ben--

                                            Cooking is amazingly easy, and simple with the right tools. All my dad could do was boil water. I learned it from my mom and grandmoms. Some of it rubbed off on me. I've got at least a dozen cookbooks (including one of my own, although the original file went down the drain with a previous computer).

                                            Try looking here:

                                            http://www.cooks.com/

                                            http://www.recipezaar.com/

                                            http://www.about.com/food/

                                            http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

                                            http://www.slovensko.com/about/food/

                                            That's just the tip of the iceburg. Cooking is fun, easy, cheap, and often better than anything you'll get in a restaurant.

                                            Fries & popcorn? Don't be ashamed -- I sometimes make them, too. I don't consider myself to be a chef, but I'm a fairly darned good cook, thanks in large part to grandmas Toman and Rataj.

                                            Don't be afraid to to try something in the kitchen. That's how you learn. I made some chlebova polevka v kohlabi today (recipe was just out ot my head), and it turned out great. Yes, occasionally I end up feeding the garbage disposal more than myself, but with practice, that happens less often.

                                            Kindest regards,

                                            Skeeter

                                            -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 29 8:43 PM
                                              Did you see the "cookbook" that I put here that Misa compiled? It is in Slovak, but heck, with your slovak you should be just fine...

                                              ------------ -- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 30 7:10 PM
                                                Ben:

                                                The class is going well however I am struggling with Slovak grammar...genders, cases, etc...my head is swimming. I would highly recommend the course to anyone who is considering learning Slovak. Our two teachers are both from Slovakia and begin by speaking nothing but Slovak to you. It is amazing how much you can learn with hand gestures, etc.! We have singing lessons, Slovak films and each class takes a turn cooking a meal. It is however, extremely intense. One year of a language in six weeks. I study about five hours every evening.

                                                Polly

                                              • Ben Sorensen
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 30 8:52 PM
                                                  Wow... sounds like fun! Is there an intermediate/advanced course availible? I am soooo jealous of you right now...
                                                  But I guess I will go through the same here in about a week. :-) Doma, sladka doma!

                                                  I found sklonovanie to be really hard at first, especially with words that are under one model in the singular and under another under the plural.  But, after a while, it just makes sense. I had to stop thinking in English, and tell myself "I am three years old." At that point, when a picture or a feeling became associated with a Slovak word rather than a feeling or a picture, then an English concept, then a Slovak concept, I found that the language just CAME to me as I conversed. I would hear a word, get it in context (usually...) and associate it directly. Now I can't help it. :-) I am by no means a native speaker.....
                                                  Which week are you in now?

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 1, 2008
                                                    Ben:

                                                    Yes, there is an intermediate class. I probably should have signed up for that one as the book they are using at home for my Slovak Class is the same and we are almost finished with that...but I felt I needed to go back to day one and try and get this grammar stuff down. It is coming albeit slowly.

                                                    They may offer an advanced class if there is enough interest next summer. They need a minimum of four people. We have ten in people in the beginning class and five in the intermediate class this year....largest ever.

                                                    They have also added the option of studying at Modra through Comenius University. The students will leave here after our six weeks, spend three weeks studying there and then one week traveling. Wish I could do that but I was pushing it already taking six weeks off of work. We are in our fourth week already. The time is going by quickly...but I will definitely be back next year for the intermediate course.

                                                    Polly