Re: [Slovak-World] Jozef Mak

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
      I'm still trying to finish reading the Slovak text, to catch up to where we are. I'm beginning to see Martin's points. One of the things the translator has done is make big paragraphs out of Hronsky's generally short ones. He's also combined Hronsky's shorter chapters, 2 or 3 into one. These two changes really do change the cadence of the story. The English text feels much more like academic writing to me.

      >>> "durisek" <durisek@...> 6/23/2008 8:17 PM >>>
      In Chapters 3 and 4, Jozef Mak is growing through adolescence, finding strength in relationships with peers and recognizing some of his powers of control. A fire in the village destroys many homes, including his own, yet in the face of his mother and godmother weeping, is the remark: He considered the present moment unfit for any weeping. I don't understand why... is it that men don't cry, or that he didn't feel sad about what happened, or something else? Any ideas?
      Also, although I am interested in the story and am not upset by the quality of the translation, I am surprised that the chapters are so short, and seem to cover very little action while time passes by quickly. He was born, grew up, left home, met a girl. There you go. It's as if we get information in tiny nibbles from what must be a big ol' cake.
      I can't wait to see what happens next.
      Zuzka D.