Re: [Slovak-World] Re: _Jozef Mak_ 1 & 2

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 22, 2008
      Hello ev'rybuddy. :-P
      I was thinking about this, and it happens ALOT! I was watching a czech film today (I love the blockbuster mailing program- :-D) and what they were saying and what was being written on the screen were very different.  I do believe that this reading will serve a purpose: People will read a "Slovak" book, and perhaps, even become so intrigued as to learn at least a smattering of the language and then read more. :-) It is good for everyone. We do, however, need to keep what Martin is saying here in mind-- the book does not have the original poetry in the writing, and may not be really usable in real discussion about the author's intent, but It will, though, get us reading. :-)
      Zuzka is right, it will serve as a catalyst at best (at least!) and foster conversation in this lovely community. That alone makes it worth reading for our purposes. :-) I would not think it suitable for academia, though.... :-D
      I for one would love to see you, Martin, run a "reading group" on here, but I understand why you would not wish too. I would hope, though, that you could at least "chime in" when the translation leads us astray-given that you have the time to do so. That is my personal hope... in no way to be representative of the group. :-)
      waiting for Misa and Niki to arrive in Prague safely- so back to my movie. :-)
      Ben