Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Phishing scams

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2008
      I fully agree. I have AVG antivirus and SpyBot running in the background (under Windows Vista), and a hardware firewall (with 64-bit WEP encryption) on my wireless router. So far, never a problem.

      When I get emails (or phone messages, for that matter) from someone I don't know, they go straight into the bit-bucket. Maybe my years of working in Information Technology weren't totally wasted.

      If I can ever help anyone here, give me a holler, and I'll do whatever I can.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>: --------------

      Dennis et al,

      Your experience is a fairly common one these days and you are right to
      quarantine any message if you don't recognize the sender. It is not limited
      to mail from Eastern or Central Europe and is likely not related to your
      genealogy research on reputable sites like Genealogy.com. It is also
      useful to have your anti-virus program set to scan all in-coming email. I
      review my email on-line and only download messages I need to keep locally on
      my own computer if I know who they are from and they scan virus free. If I
      get a piece of junk mail purporting to be from my bank, eBay, PayPal, etc.
      I always report it as these companies never solicit personal information and
      they want to track down those who are trying to steal your money or
      identity.

      Given the above, knowing who a message is from does not guarantee your
      computing safety, however. It is possible for someone you know to
      unwittingly forward a message with a virus embedded or in an attached file.
      Not only that, a few years ago hackers developed a way to steal Outlook's
      address book if they could enter a computer running Windows that was not
      protected by a firewall and/or strong security measures (like requiring both
      user ID and password to log in).

      Many web sites and "free" offers these days require you to provide an email
      address in order to get the "free" program/merchandise or register on their
      sites. Of these, many commit to protecting your privacy by not releasing
      your email address but others do not so you can easily end up on hundreds of
      junk mailing lists. There are so many places to get a free email account
      these days (yahoo.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, linuxmail.org, juno.com, etc.
      to name a few) that a couple of years ago I set up a separate email address
      to use when I must provide one in order to register somewhere suspicious or
      take advantage of some on-line offer. I check it periodically to make sure
      I haven't missed anything from a legitimate vendor but it is usually filled
      mostly with junk email.

      Lastly, those of you who are operating with older, less secure operating
      systems like Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME and can't or don't want to
      spend the money to upgrade both hardware and software to get a more secure
      operating environment might want to consider one of the many free, open
      source operating systems available in the public domain. I have been using
      Linux as my primary operating system for about eight years now and have
      experience virtually no problems with malicious software during that time.
      If anyone is interested in possible pursuing a change in O/S, I'm happy to
      chat with you back channel about it if you simply send me an email note in
      that regard.

      Best regards,
      Paul in NW Florida