Re: [Slovak-World] weird but interesting question!!!

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
      At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

      >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when
      >you hear those claps of thunder???
      >Ben

      Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

      Nick
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
        Skeeter and all, where I live now doesn't have really big
        thunderstorms. I worked for the Weather Bureau for 35 years and the
        best storms I saw were in Darwin which is a city at the northern end
        of Australia and in the tropics. Some nights you could sit outside
        and read a book in the lightning. I know how powerful and dangerous
        to aviation they are but I loved watching them.

        regards
        Nick
      • fbican@att.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
          An old friend of mine, the late Mr. Claude Benedict, was a weatherman during WWII, and wasn't fazed by thunderstorms (burkas), either. Stuff happens, and you just deal with it the best you can. I'm certainly not going to be grilling outdoors today, but even if the power goes out, I can always fire-up one of the Coleman stoves in the kitchen. Wouldn't be the first time. As long as we don't get any tornados (we don't have to worry about hurricanes in the midwest), it's fine by me. We could use the rain.

          Kindest regards,

          Skeeter

          -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

          Skeeter and all, where I live now doesn't have really big
          thunderstorms. I worked for the Weather Bureau for 35 years and the
          best storms I saw were in Darwin which is a city at the northern end
          of Australia and in the tropics. Some nights you could sit outside
          and read a book in the lightning. I know how powerful and dangerous
          to aviation they are but I loved watching them.

          regards
          Nick

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
            Nick and Skeeter,
            Where do you guys live? I am in Wilmington, NC-- the T-storms here are those fiesty costal ones that carry very odd skies and pretty violent winds and lightning. But, I have a hunch that Kansas and Oklahoma probably have worse storms. I wish I knew something about meteorology, and had the guts to be a storm chaser. :-P All this talk got me wondering, so I turned on YouTube and watched some of those twisters.... WOW! I just can't imagine chasing one of those big boys down. :-)

            I was teaching when the large "uragan" (Hurricane) hit the Tatras a few years ago- the howl of the wind was amazing. What really was sad was that I have a panoramic view of the Tatras from our house in Hozelec. The villages that used to be obscured were completely visible the next day-- the view of the Tatras was completely transformed. About three days later, Hozelec was covered in an odd haze- and when we turned towards our beloved Tatras, there were red streaks dancing across the mountains in the evenings. These lines were gorgeous, and the haze carried a very pleasant odour, but it was the smoke from the burning debries and fallen logs. The red streaks were the fires, laying even more of the Tatras bare.
            Once the roads opened up, I played at a benefit event to raise money for the Tatras. Driving to Stary Smokovec, the whole area looked like an atom bomb had gone off there. EVERYTHING was destroyed. Sides of the mountains were littered with snapped trees, burnt remains, and standing trunks that reminded me of old photos of Nagasaki. It was very sad, and probably the most powerful storm I have ever witnessed. The thing was that in Poprad, we did not know about the destruction until after the storm passed. We woke up the next morning, got coffee, and then stood, mezmerized by the change in a familiar view.

            Sorry to bore you with that, but the talk about storms kinda brought back these memories.
            Ben

            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
              Whenever there was a particularly big thunderclap, my mom would say that Perun had struck. He was the old Slavic thunder god (I learned later). She was very religious, so for her, Perun was a mythical figure.

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                Ben--

                I'm just outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and vividly remember when a tornado went though here in the 1970's. It was only 2-blocks away from my parent's house. One woman's house was blown to bits, and she was killed. Dozens more had substantial damage. The damage they can cause is quite dramatic.

                Regular-old thunderstorms haven't bee much of a problem, perhaps because I live within 0.1mi of a 900'-tall TV transmission tower, which gets zapped all the time. Better them than me!

                Kindest regards,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Ben, I live in Perth Western Australia. Obviously on the western side
                  of the country and in the southern part of the state,we have a fairly
                  mild Mediterranean climate here, but as I said I worked for the
                  weather bureau and was transferred around the country every two to
                  three years and so i lived and worked in the extreme north and then
                  very close to the extreme south. I have experienced tropical
                  conditions where there a lots of monsoonal storms also where there
                  are tropical cyclones ( Hurricanes to you ) and also the totally
                  different southern conditions. I was a bit like Lee Marvin , I was
                  born under a wanderin star, I loved it and appreciate the sentiments
                  of the song.

                  Nick
                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008

                    Two summers ago they were still logging those fallen trees -- reminded me of driving up the west coast with all the logging trucks.

                    The Tatras were bald in some areas, but still incredibly beautiful.

                    Caye

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Ben:

                      Just got back from Ocracoke.  That is about as far from the Tatras as you can get.

                      No boredom in your scribe.  Was actually quite interesting.  I'm originally from FL, so the destruction of hurricanes is no stranger to me.

                      Chuck
                      CLT NC

                      At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

                      >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when

                      >you hear those claps of thunder???

                      >Ben

                      Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

                      Nick

                    • Rick Sonzella
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Hi Ben,
                         I also live in Florida and have been through those wonderful "hurricane years".. my very first trip to Slovakia took place in Oct 2005.. shortly after the storm and the fires there.. My friends live in Poprad and when we travelled to Stary Smokovec to hike she was close to tears. She was devastated because there wasn't any trees left standing and they were logging. I told her that in 5 years it will look nice with all the new growth. I used to be a firefighter here in a fairly rural area and within 6 months here you almost could not tell there was a fire.
                         I went back in March 2006 and we went to Strebske Pleso and she told me that it looked better without so many fallen trees on the ground. And the last time I talked to her on the phone she told me that there was alot of new growth and she was happy again. I am looking forward to going back. I was hoping to be there now but had some issues that popped up here with my family. So my trip has been postponed with no future date set. :(
                         Rick Sonzella

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                          "Oči sú zrkadlom duše"

                          The eye is the mirror of the soul

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the translation. :-)
                            Ben

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                              "Oci su zrkadlom dusi"

                              >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 6/9/2008 3:06:15 PM >>>
                              Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the
                              translation. :-)
                              Ben

                              Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                              "OÄ i sú zrkadlom duÅ¡e"