Re: [Slovak-World] wierd but interesting question!!!

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi Ben, now you said "forklore" so I hope I am answering you what you want:
      My Babi would say, "when you sew something on your body, like a button, you have to put something in your mouth"! I forgot why.
      Also, "if you drop a comb, when you pick it up, you kiss it". Not sure why.
      Believe it or not, I STILL DO IT!!

      There is a Folklore Site for Slovak's out there, I joined it about 3 yrs ago, however, when they started selling "black iron pots", I left!

      Maxine sasala

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
        Ben, sadly I can't think of much folklore that my father related to
        me. I have read more on this list than he ever talked about. I can
        remember one thing he told me but it probably can't be classed as
        folklore. He told me that thunder was the gods playing kuzelky.

        regards
        Nick
      • Ben Sorensen

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
            "I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when you hear those claps of thunder???
            Ben"

            Reminds me of when I was growing up. My dad and I used to go out on the front porch whenever there was a thunderstorm. Used to freak my mom out something fierce, but Dad & I loved them. Their house, located on a hilltop and surrounded by tall trees, was hit by lightening at least 9 times that I can recall.

            The weather forecast for here (Ohio) is calling for thunderstorms tomorrow, and that's fine with me. I have no reason to leave the house. Computer and router are on the UPS if the power goes out. Lots of backup plans, too.

            Thunderstorms *can* be fun, at least sometimes.

            Kindest regards,

            Skeeter

            -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

            Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
            Ben, sadly I can't think of much folklore that my father related to
            me. I have read more on this list than he ever talked about. I can
            remember one thing he told me but it probably can't be classed as
            folklore. He told me that thunder was the gods playing kuzelky.

            regards
            Nick

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
              At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

              >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when
              >you hear those claps of thunder???
              >Ben

              Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

              Nick
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                Skeeter and all, where I live now doesn't have really big
                thunderstorms. I worked for the Weather Bureau for 35 years and the
                best storms I saw were in Darwin which is a city at the northern end
                of Australia and in the tropics. Some nights you could sit outside
                and read a book in the lightning. I know how powerful and dangerous
                to aviation they are but I loved watching them.

                regards
                Nick
              • fbican@att.net
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                  An old friend of mine, the late Mr. Claude Benedict, was a weatherman during WWII, and wasn't fazed by thunderstorms (burkas), either. Stuff happens, and you just deal with it the best you can. I'm certainly not going to be grilling outdoors today, but even if the power goes out, I can always fire-up one of the Coleman stoves in the kitchen. Wouldn't be the first time. As long as we don't get any tornados (we don't have to worry about hurricanes in the midwest), it's fine by me. We could use the rain.

                  Kindest regards,

                  Skeeter

                  -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Nick and Skeeter,
                    Where do you guys live? I am in Wilmington, NC-- the T-storms here are those fiesty costal ones that carry very odd skies and pretty violent winds and lightning. But, I have a hunch that Kansas and Oklahoma probably have worse storms. I wish I knew something about meteorology, and had the guts to be a storm chaser. :-P All this talk got me wondering, so I turned on YouTube and watched some of those twisters.... WOW! I just can't imagine chasing one of those big boys down. :-)

                    I was teaching when the large "uragan" (Hurricane) hit the Tatras a few years ago- the howl of the wind was amazing. What really was sad was that I have a panoramic view of the Tatras from our house in Hozelec. The villages that used to be obscured were completely visible the next day-- the view of the Tatras was completely transformed. About three days later, Hozelec was covered in an odd haze- and when we turned towards our beloved Tatras, there were red streaks dancing across the mountains in the evenings. These lines were gorgeous, and the haze carried a very pleasant odour, but it was the smoke from the burning debries and fallen logs. The red streaks were the fires, laying even more of the Tatras bare.
                    Once the roads opened up, I played at a benefit event to raise money for the Tatras. Driving to Stary Smokovec, the whole area looked like an atom bomb had gone off there. EVERYTHING was destroyed. Sides of the mountains were littered with snapped trees, burnt remains, and standing trunks that reminded me of old photos of Nagasaki. It was very sad, and probably the most powerful storm I have ever witnessed. The thing was that in Poprad, we did not know about the destruction until after the storm passed. We woke up the next morning, got coffee, and then stood, mezmerized by the change in a familiar view.

                    Sorry to bore you with that, but the talk about storms kinda brought back these memories.
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Whenever there was a particularly big thunderclap, my mom would say that Perun had struck. He was the old Slavic thunder god (I learned later). She was very religious, so for her, Perun was a mythical figure.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Ben--

                        I'm just outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and vividly remember when a tornado went though here in the 1970's. It was only 2-blocks away from my parent's house. One woman's house was blown to bits, and she was killed. Dozens more had substantial damage. The damage they can cause is quite dramatic.

                        Regular-old thunderstorms haven't bee much of a problem, perhaps because I live within 0.1mi of a 900'-tall TV transmission tower, which gets zapped all the time. Better them than me!

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Ben, I live in Perth Western Australia. Obviously on the western side
                          of the country and in the southern part of the state,we have a fairly
                          mild Mediterranean climate here, but as I said I worked for the
                          weather bureau and was transferred around the country every two to
                          three years and so i lived and worked in the extreme north and then
                          very close to the extreme south. I have experienced tropical
                          conditions where there a lots of monsoonal storms also where there
                          are tropical cyclones ( Hurricanes to you ) and also the totally
                          different southern conditions. I was a bit like Lee Marvin , I was
                          born under a wanderin star, I loved it and appreciate the sentiments
                          of the song.

                          Nick
                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008

                            Two summers ago they were still logging those fallen trees -- reminded me of driving up the west coast with all the logging trucks.

                            The Tatras were bald in some areas, but still incredibly beautiful.

                            Caye

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                              Ben:

                              Just got back from Ocracoke.  That is about as far from the Tatras as you can get.

                              No boredom in your scribe.  Was actually quite interesting.  I'm originally from FL, so the destruction of hurricanes is no stranger to me.

                              Chuck
                              CLT NC

                              At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

                              >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when

                              >you hear those claps of thunder???

                              >Ben

                              Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

                              Nick

                            • Rick Sonzella
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                Hi Ben,
                                 I also live in Florida and have been through those wonderful "hurricane years".. my very first trip to Slovakia took place in Oct 2005.. shortly after the storm and the fires there.. My friends live in Poprad and when we travelled to Stary Smokovec to hike she was close to tears. She was devastated because there wasn't any trees left standing and they were logging. I told her that in 5 years it will look nice with all the new growth. I used to be a firefighter here in a fairly rural area and within 6 months here you almost could not tell there was a fire.
                                 I went back in March 2006 and we went to Strebske Pleso and she told me that it looked better without so many fallen trees on the ground. And the last time I talked to her on the phone she told me that there was alot of new growth and she was happy again. I am looking forward to going back. I was hoping to be there now but had some issues that popped up here with my family. So my trip has been postponed with no future date set. :(
                                 Rick Sonzella

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                  "Oči sú zrkadlom duše"

                                  The eye is the mirror of the soul

                                • Ben Sorensen
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                    Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the translation. :-)
                                    Ben

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                      "Oci su zrkadlom dusi"

                                      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 6/9/2008 3:06:15 PM >>>
                                      Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the
                                      translation. :-)
                                      Ben

                                      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                                      "OÄ i sú zrkadlom duÅ¡e"