Re: [Slovak-World] Re: _Jozef Mak_

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      ME! :-)
      I will borrow it from my wife... :-D so I may have a different version that you guys. It will give me something to read this July.

      Ben

      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      Anyone else for _Jozef Mak_????

      >>> "ukwc.president" <durisek@...> 5/30/2008 12:39:30 PM >>>
      What a great idea, Helen. I'd love to do this.... now is best, over
      summer vacation. Fall is a very busy time for me.

      > Is anyone interested in another group reading of a Slovak book? What
      I had in mind was Jozef Ciger Hronsky's book _Jozef Mak_. I just
      looked on abebooks.com and found about 20 copies of the translation
      available < http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?
      sts=t&tn=jozef+mak&x=0&y=0 >. With summer vacation time coming up
      (pace, Nick), would September be a better time to start?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2008
        I have to run off to a class, but I'm hoping that those who've read the first two chapters of JM will start the discussion. Zuska, I seem to remember that you had some info about the author that you thought relevant to a discussion.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
          I've now also finished reading _JM_ and am ready to lay it to rest. I'm still not sure what the author was trying to say ("Suffering is good/necessary"?). I kept looking for some reason to find Jozef sympathetic, but failed. I felt sorry for him, but that's as far as it went. I kept thinking, as he got into one difficulty after another, that THIS would be the event that openeds his eyes or got him engaged in life, but was disappointed each time.

          The translation was unfortunate too, because there were instances where you could tell that Ciger-Hronsky's descriptions ("hoarfrost" comes to mind) verged on poetic, but simply fell flat. His dialog left gaps and left me wondering at times what he meant by something or what was actually happening.

          My rant is over and I'll be requesting a copy of _Zaby rok_ for the next read-along.