Slovak saying for Monday

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
      "Nikto nie je spokojný so svojím osudom"

      No one is content with his lot.

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
        Ain't that the truth!!!
        Ben

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hey there everyone,

          I was just wondering, for those of you who are either Slovak or grew up in Slovak households, how much of a part of your life did folklor (the music and stories) play in your lives, and how has it helped define "you" in your "worldview" perspective?

          I am just really curious.
          Ben

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008

            Went to a lot of church weddings as a kid -- so the foods and the music of my childhood stop me in my tracks when I hear or smell them now as an adult.

            I bought a tape a few years back in Pittsburgh at the Slovak Heritage Festival (great fest if you can get to Pittsburgh the first Sunday of November each year) -- and listened to it on my way home -- I remembered lots of the songs from my childhood -- amazed myself how the brain works in The Way-Back Mode.

            Caye

          • fbican@att.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
              Well, I just helped my Slovak friend burn some old polka tapes onto a couple of CDs so he could play them in his car. My mom & dad were absolute gems at the polka on the dance floor.

              For me, I'm mostly into the food aspect of my heritage -- jaternice, sekanice, halusky, knedlicky y zeli, polevkas... you get my drift. Don't get me started, because I could go on for hours talking about food, my passion.

              My grandma Rataj always had a fresh hoska on the shelf just in case anyone dropped by. At my house, you might get klobasa y zeli, polevka, stir-fried mung beans with shrimp, calamari in marinara sauce, ftrittata... just about anything. Bottom line is that my Czesky Grandma taught me is that no one leaves here without *something* good to eat. That's just the way I was raised, and the way I hope to die.

              Kindest regards,

              Skeeter

              -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                Although my parents liked Slovak music well enough, we never had a stereo, so the music never really played any role. My mom did teach me a couple of songs, but that's about it. Whatever I know now I learned on my own. As for the stories, the only thing I can remember is that when I was around 6 or so, I was sick with something (measles???) that kept me in bed for a while. My mom got a library book of Janosik stories in Slovak and read that to me, but I don't remember the stories at all.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Hey there Caye,
                  I have been to that festival twice and LOVED it! I have been teaching our littly Nikolas everything about folklor- :-D he goes to sleep with it every night, and his daddy plays a fujara and pistalka for him- and the drumble! (jews harp.) He knows all the words to "prsi prsi" and such. he is three. :-D

                  I was just curious how others would define their experience with folklor, what it meant for them, and what it did to them and if it contributed to thier "worldview" at all, or if it was just left as part of the culture but not a musical centerpiece in life.

                  I love what you wrote here, as it implies that its importance may not be readily apparent until we hear it again at later dates...
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Thank you skeeter and Helen for this input!!!! :-D I wonder if anyone else goes "weak in the knees" when they hear that first run (noty) on the violin or that wonderful "scatter" of a fujara... or the beat of the drumble....
                    Ben

                    Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                    Although my parents liked Slovak music well enough, we never had a stereo, so the music never really played any role. My mom did teach me a couple of songs, but that's about it. Whatever I know now I learned on my own. As for the stories, the only thing I can remember is that when I was around 6 or so, I was sick with something (measles???) that kept me in bed for a while. My mom got a library book of Janosik stories in Slovak and read that to me, but I don't remember the stories at all.

                    >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 6/2/2008 12:40:37 PM >>>
                    Hey there everyone,

                    I was just wondering, for those of you who are either Slovak or grew up in Slovak households, how much of a part of your life did folklor (the music and stories) play in your lives, and how has it helped define "you" in your "worldview" perspective?

                    I am just really curious.
                    Ben

                  • katarina alexander
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                      music wise we listened to Karol Gott  but I don't have the desire to play him in our household - not that I think he is bad, just not our style.
                      We had a few Slovak books growing up but since I don't remember them, I guess they didn't really leave an impact.  We have a few Krtek books for our boys - ages 3.5 & 22 mths.

                      Regards,

                      Kat

                      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                      Although my parents liked Slovak music well enough, we never had a stereo, so the music never really played any role. My mom did teach me a couple of songs, but that's about it. Whatever I know now I learned on my own. As for the stories, the only thing I can remember is that when I was around 6 or so, I was sick with something (measles???) that kept me in bed for a while. My mom got a library book of Janosik stories in Slovak and read that to me, but I don't remember the stories at all.

                      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 6/2/2008 12:40:37 PM >>>
                      Hey there everyone,

                      I was just wondering, for those of you who are either Slovak or grew up in Slovak households, how much of a part of your life did folklor (the music and stories) play in your lives, and how has it helped define "you" in your "worldview" perspective?

                      I am just really curious.
                      Ben

                    • Al Dubnicka
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Hello Caye,
                        What does   mean.

                        Al Dubnicka

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008

                          Just computer code that happens once a message is replied to over and over again.

                          Has to do with HTML, but nothing I originally typed.

                          Caye

                          Went to a lot of church weddings as a kid -- so the foods and the music of my childhood stop me in my tracks when I hear or smell them now as an adult.

                          I bought a tape a few years back in Pittsburgh at the Slovak Heritage Festival (great fest if you can get to Pittsburgh the first Sunday of November each year) -- and listened to it on my way home -- I remembered lots of the songs from my childhood -- amazed myself how the brain works in The Way-Back Mode.

                          Caye

                          I was just wondering, for those of you who are either Slovak or grew up in Slovak households, how much of a part of your life did folklor (the music and stories) play in your lives, and how has it helped define "you" in your "worldview" perspective?

                          I am just really curious.
                          Ben

                        • Andrea Vangor
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Other than a fondness for polka music there was little of Slovak heritage around my house in the 1950's -- my father was a long way from his roots in Bridgeport CT -- but my California grandmother sent us a couple of LP's for Christmas one year. One was a mono recording made in 1956 of folk music from Czechoslovakia by some folk ensemble that the Commies were using to show off their cultural tolerance. Most of the songs performed were Slovak. It was a profound experience for me hearing that music. I used to play the record when no one was home, and have it to this day. No other music reaches me like Slovak music. Must be in the genes.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                              It is HTML for a space:

                              http://www.sightspecific.com/~mosh/WWW_FAQ/nbsp.html

                              From: Al Dubnicka <dubytwo@bellsouth. net>

                              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                              Date: Monday, June 2, 2008, 2:15 PM

                              Hello Caye,

                              What does &nbsp mean.

                              Al Dubnicka

                              From: Ben Sorensen &lt;cerrunos1@ yahoo. com&gt;

                              To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Hi Ben, now you said "forklore" so I hope I am answering you what you want:
                                My Babi would say, "when you sew something on your body, like a button, you have to put something in your mouth"! I forgot why.
                                Also, "if you drop a comb, when you pick it up, you kiss it". Not sure why.
                                Believe it or not, I STILL DO IT!!

                                There is a Folklore Site for Slovak's out there, I joined it about 3 yrs ago, however, when they started selling "black iron pots", I left!

                                Maxine sasala

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Ben, sadly I can't think of much folklore that my father related to
                                  me. I have read more on this list than he ever talked about. I can
                                  remember one thing he told me but it probably can't be classed as
                                  folklore. He told me that thunder was the gods playing kuzelky.

                                  regards
                                  Nick
                                • Ben Sorensen

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 2, 2008
                                      "I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when you hear those claps of thunder???
                                      Ben"

                                      Reminds me of when I was growing up. My dad and I used to go out on the front porch whenever there was a thunderstorm. Used to freak my mom out something fierce, but Dad & I loved them. Their house, located on a hilltop and surrounded by tall trees, was hit by lightening at least 9 times that I can recall.

                                      The weather forecast for here (Ohio) is calling for thunderstorms tomorrow, and that's fine with me. I have no reason to leave the house. Computer and router are on the UPS if the power goes out. Lots of backup plans, too.

                                      Thunderstorms *can* be fun, at least sometimes.

                                      Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                                      Ben, sadly I can't think of much folklore that my father related to
                                      me. I have read more on this list than he ever talked about. I can
                                      remember one thing he told me but it probably can't be classed as
                                      folklore. He told me that thunder was the gods playing kuzelky.

                                      regards
                                      Nick

                                    • Nick Holcz
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                        At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

                                        >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when
                                        >you hear those claps of thunder???
                                        >Ben

                                        Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

                                        Nick
                                      • Nick Holcz
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                          Skeeter and all, where I live now doesn't have really big
                                          thunderstorms. I worked for the Weather Bureau for 35 years and the
                                          best storms I saw were in Darwin which is a city at the northern end
                                          of Australia and in the tropics. Some nights you could sit outside
                                          and read a book in the lightning. I know how powerful and dangerous
                                          to aviation they are but I loved watching them.

                                          regards
                                          Nick
                                        • fbican@att.net
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                            An old friend of mine, the late Mr. Claude Benedict, was a weatherman during WWII, and wasn't fazed by thunderstorms (burkas), either. Stuff happens, and you just deal with it the best you can. I'm certainly not going to be grilling outdoors today, but even if the power goes out, I can always fire-up one of the Coleman stoves in the kitchen. Wouldn't be the first time. As long as we don't get any tornados (we don't have to worry about hurricanes in the midwest), it's fine by me. We could use the rain.

                                            Kindest regards,

                                            Skeeter

                                            -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                              Nick and Skeeter,
                                              Where do you guys live? I am in Wilmington, NC-- the T-storms here are those fiesty costal ones that carry very odd skies and pretty violent winds and lightning. But, I have a hunch that Kansas and Oklahoma probably have worse storms. I wish I knew something about meteorology, and had the guts to be a storm chaser. :-P All this talk got me wondering, so I turned on YouTube and watched some of those twisters.... WOW! I just can't imagine chasing one of those big boys down. :-)

                                              I was teaching when the large "uragan" (Hurricane) hit the Tatras a few years ago- the howl of the wind was amazing. What really was sad was that I have a panoramic view of the Tatras from our house in Hozelec. The villages that used to be obscured were completely visible the next day-- the view of the Tatras was completely transformed. About three days later, Hozelec was covered in an odd haze- and when we turned towards our beloved Tatras, there were red streaks dancing across the mountains in the evenings. These lines were gorgeous, and the haze carried a very pleasant odour, but it was the smoke from the burning debries and fallen logs. The red streaks were the fires, laying even more of the Tatras bare.
                                              Once the roads opened up, I played at a benefit event to raise money for the Tatras. Driving to Stary Smokovec, the whole area looked like an atom bomb had gone off there. EVERYTHING was destroyed. Sides of the mountains were littered with snapped trees, burnt remains, and standing trunks that reminded me of old photos of Nagasaki. It was very sad, and probably the most powerful storm I have ever witnessed. The thing was that in Poprad, we did not know about the destruction until after the storm passed. We woke up the next morning, got coffee, and then stood, mezmerized by the change in a familiar view.

                                              Sorry to bore you with that, but the talk about storms kinda brought back these memories.
                                              Ben

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                Whenever there was a particularly big thunderclap, my mom would say that Perun had struck. He was the old Slavic thunder god (I learned later). She was very religious, so for her, Perun was a mythical figure.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                  Ben--

                                                  I'm just outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and vividly remember when a tornado went though here in the 1970's. It was only 2-blocks away from my parent's house. One woman's house was blown to bits, and she was killed. Dozens more had substantial damage. The damage they can cause is quite dramatic.

                                                  Regular-old thunderstorms haven't bee much of a problem, perhaps because I live within 0.1mi of a 900'-tall TV transmission tower, which gets zapped all the time. Better them than me!

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                    Ben, I live in Perth Western Australia. Obviously on the western side
                                                    of the country and in the southern part of the state,we have a fairly
                                                    mild Mediterranean climate here, but as I said I worked for the
                                                    weather bureau and was transferred around the country every two to
                                                    three years and so i lived and worked in the extreme north and then
                                                    very close to the extreme south. I have experienced tropical
                                                    conditions where there a lots of monsoonal storms also where there
                                                    are tropical cyclones ( Hurricanes to you ) and also the totally
                                                    different southern conditions. I was a bit like Lee Marvin , I was
                                                    born under a wanderin star, I loved it and appreciate the sentiments
                                                    of the song.

                                                    Nick
                                                  • Caye Caswick
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008

                                                      Two summers ago they were still logging those fallen trees -- reminded me of driving up the west coast with all the logging trucks.

                                                      The Tatras were bald in some areas, but still incredibly beautiful.

                                                      Caye

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                        Ben:

                                                        Just got back from Ocracoke.  That is about as far from the Tatras as you can get.

                                                        No boredom in your scribe.  Was actually quite interesting.  I'm originally from FL, so the destruction of hurricanes is no stranger to me.

                                                        Chuck
                                                        CLT NC

                                                        At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

                                                        >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when

                                                        >you hear those claps of thunder???

                                                        >Ben

                                                        Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

                                                        Nick

                                                      • Rick Sonzella
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                          Hi Ben,
                                                           I also live in Florida and have been through those wonderful "hurricane years".. my very first trip to Slovakia took place in Oct 2005.. shortly after the storm and the fires there.. My friends live in Poprad and when we travelled to Stary Smokovec to hike she was close to tears. She was devastated because there wasn't any trees left standing and they were logging. I told her that in 5 years it will look nice with all the new growth. I used to be a firefighter here in a fairly rural area and within 6 months here you almost could not tell there was a fire.
                                                           I went back in March 2006 and we went to Strebske Pleso and she told me that it looked better without so many fallen trees on the ground. And the last time I talked to her on the phone she told me that there was alot of new growth and she was happy again. I am looking forward to going back. I was hoping to be there now but had some issues that popped up here with my family. So my trip has been postponed with no future date set. :(
                                                           Rick Sonzella

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                            "Oči sú zrkadlom duše"

                                                            The eye is the mirror of the soul

                                                          • Ben Sorensen
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                              Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the translation. :-)
                                                              Ben

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                                "Oci su zrkadlom dusi"

                                                                >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 6/9/2008 3:06:15 PM >>>
                                                                Can you send that without the diacritical marks? they got lost in the
                                                                translation. :-)
                                                                Ben

                                                                Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                                                                "OÄ i sú zrkadlom duÅ¡e"