Teleci Maso na Paprice

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2008
      "Veal Paprikash"

      My grandmother used to make it when I was just a small boy, probably 50 years ago, and I don't think I've had it since. I thought it might be fun to try again. This is the recipe I have:

      1.5lbs cubed veal shoulder
      1 onion, chopped
      1 green pepper, chopped
      1 Tbsp. paprika
      6 Tbsp. butter
      1 tsp. salt
      1 Tbsp. flour
      1 cup beef stock
      2 tomatoes, chopped
      1 cup sour cream

      Fry it up in a hot pan until the onions and peppers are tender and the meat is browned, about 1/2 hr. Add the flour, stock, and tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the sour cream right before serving.

      Does anyone have a better recipe, or am I on the right track?

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

    • fbican@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6 5:52 PM
        This is probably close to what you're looking for

        HUNGARIAN CHICKEN PAPRIKAS WITH DUMPLINGS
        Printed from COOKS.COM

        1 frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
        1 large onion, chopped
        4 tbsp. butter
        1 tbsp. Hungarian paprika
        1 1/2 cups water
        1/2 pint dairy sour cream
        Dumplings:
        3 eggs, beaten
        3 c. all-purpose flour
        1 tbsp. salt
        1/2 cup water
        In a large heavy or cast-iron skillet, sauté the onions in butter until browned lightly. Remove pan from heat. And add paprika and mix well. Add chicken pieces and return pan to stove. Add water. Cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the sour cream. Heat thoroughly without boiling. Add dumplings. To make dumplings, combine all the dumplings ingredients. Beat with spoon until smooth. Drop by teaspoon full into boiling salted water; cook until done, approximately 10 minutes. Drain dumplings, rinse with cold water, and add to paprikas.

        They were Hungarians, friends of my parents, and Maggie made a wickedly-good chicken & veal paprikas over dumplings. Anything made with sour cream and paprika is going to be good!

        Here's the recipe I have from my Czechoslovak recipe book:

        KURE NA PAPRICE

        1 chicken (3-4lbs)
        1 medium onion, chopped
        1/4 cup chopped bacon or butter
        1 tsp paprika
        salt to taste
        1-1/2 cups water
        1/2 cup sour cream
        2 Tbsp flour

        Cut chicken into small pieces. Wilt onion in bacon or butter, add paprika, chicken, and salt; brown. Add water, cover, and simmer until tender (about 45 minutes). Remove chicken from pan. Mix sour cream with flour, stir carefully into pan for 5 minutes. Strain over chicken. Serves 4-5.

        Personally, I don't strain out the onions, and I like to add mushrooms, too, but that's just me! Serve over any spaetzle, rezanec, or even Polish pierogi, and you'll have a gourmet meal that you can't get anywhere!

        Kindest regards,

        Skeeter

        -------------- Original message from "hlavatyhlavaty" <hlavatyhlavaty@...>: --------------