Skip to search.

Slovak sayings

    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2008
      Dear SW-ers,
      Some time ago, I sent out a daily Slovak saying from the book _Nehádžte
      perly sviniam_ by Blahoslav Hečko. After a while, work got busy and I
      dropped the sayings. We seem to be in kind of a lull at the moment, so
      I thought I'd start up again. My apologies in advance for any possible
      repeats--I never did mark where I'd left off. As always, feel free to
      comment on or explain or question or whatever the sayings.

      "Devätoro remesiel – desiata psota"
      [lit.: There are nine trades/crafts, the tenth is misery.]
      Translation given as "A dozen trades, thirteen miseries"

      I think I vaguely, vaguely remember someone explainging this, but it
      obviously didn't stick in my brain. Anyone care to try it again?

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2008
        > I think I vaguely, vaguely remember someone explainging this, but it
        > obviously didn't stick in my brain.

        It's here, Helen:

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2008
          Ah, d'akujem Martin. I finally located my sign-in info and found the last saying I'd sent, way back when. We were much further along in the book than I'd remembered. Tomorrow, I'll pick up where we left off. I need to head out to do my shift at the reference desk in a few minutes.

          >>> "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> 5/22/2008 10:37 AM >>>
          > I think I vaguely, vaguely remember someone explainging this, but it
          > obviously didn't stick in my brain.

          It's here, Helen:

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Armata, Joseph R
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2008
            Our inestimable Martin explained it back in 2004:

            'It's something like "He has/tries all kind of skills/trades, but his
            poverty overrides them all."

            It also occurred with _devat_ instead of _devatoro_ and with _bieda_
            instead of _psota_.

            It was current when many people were really poor. It would have been
            used to express resignation -- someone who tries all kinds of things,
            but to no avail; or as a put-down: A) someone who does this, does
            that, but incompetently; B) someone who pretends to be an
            "entrepreneur," but is poor like the rest of them.

            Martin'

            Back to me now - Helen, do post more of these as you have time, I always enjoy them.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2008
              I'll do it every day I'm at work.