Re: Euro go-ahead

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 18 , May 4, 2008
      > the average American CEO's salary has gone from 40-times
      > the laborer's salary in 1980 to 433-times the laborer's
      > salary today.

      Yes, Skeeter, that's part of the difference between the European and
      American societies that I mentioned. That ratio has traditionally
      been 1:10 to 1:20 in the European democracies, but it has started
      moving faster in the direction of the US since the collapse of communism.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 18 , May 7, 2008
        As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
        Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        x x x

        EU: No Country But Slovakia Meets Euro Adoption Criteria

        DOW JONES NEWSWIRES, 5/7/2008 -- No other country but Slovakia meets
        the criteria for euro adoption, the European Commission said Wednesday
        in its latest convergence report, giving a green light to Slovakia's
        bid to join the euro zone.

        The commission, the E.U.'s executive arm, along with the European
        Central Bank, reports at least once every two years on the progress
        made by E.U. member states in fulfilling obligations to achieve
        economic and monetary union.

        Slovakia received recommendation from the European Union Wednesday to
        join the fifteen member state-strong euro-zone, and is lined-up to
        become the fourth country in two years to join the club after Slovenia
        did so on the first day of 2007. Cyprus and Malta entered at the
        beginning of this year.

        Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and the Baltic states of
        Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia joined the E.U. along with Slovakia in
        May 2004, while Romania and Bulgaria were the latest to join the
        twenty-seven member free-trade block in January 2007.
      • J Michutka
        Message 3 of 18 , May 7, 2008
          So how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
          jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur??? Or is it not declined, and
          just remains "euro" regardless of number? And what do they call the
          "cents" in Slovak?

          I really miss having different and interesting monies from country to
          country, but on the other hand, it will be so much easier....no
          looking for a place to get the local currency every time I cross a
          border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple currencies.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          On May 7, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Martin Votruba wrote:

          > As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
          > Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.
          >

          > Martin

        • skeeter
          Message 4 of 18 , May 7, 2008
            It's not just in Europe. I've traveled to Canada (Canadian dollars) and Mexico (Pesos), and had a hassle converting them back into US dollars when I got home. I should have just kept them -- their currencies are much more attractive than ours.

            So how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
            jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur??? Or is it not declined, and
            just remains "euro" regardless of number? And what do they call the
            "cents" in Slovak?

            I really miss having different and interesting monies from country to
            country, but on the other hand, it will be so much easier....no
            looking for a place to get the local currency every time I cross a
            border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple currencies.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            On May 7, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Martin Votruba wrote:

            > As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
            > Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.
            >

            > Martin

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 18 , May 7, 2008
              > how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
              > jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur???

              Yes, Julie (_dve_).

              > And what do they call the "cents" in Slovak?

              _Cent_ [tsent] (masc., hard pattern: 2 centy, 5 centov).

              > no looking for a place to get the local currency every time
              > I cross a border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple

              Since Slovakia is surrounded by countries that aren't meeting the
              criteria, this will not be different any time soon for the Slovaks who
              mostly travel to Poland, Hungary, and the Czech R. When they joined
              the European Union in 2004, all three were saying they would adopt the
              euro by 2009-2010, but have failed. The current very tentative
              estimates are that they might meet the criteria to adopt the euro by:

              Poland - 2012
              Czech R. - 2012
              Hungary - 2014

              Only the Slovaks' second major summer destination, Greece, has the
              euro, and Austria and the countries west of it (except Switzerland).

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu