Re: Euro go-ahead

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2008
      > that prices went up and also when we changed our weights
      > and measures system to decimal that the same thing happened.

      Thanks for the examples, Nick. People are capable of projecting such
      perceptions on other creatures, too. After Switzerland first adopted
      daylight saving time in 1981, farmers swore that milk yield was
      dropping. The cows must have all rushed to the village square to
      check the church clock, and the Alpine grass never tasted the same.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2008
        Ahh, shaded of change. I remember a bit of hte same complaining when
        the US changed booze sales from fifths (English units) to metric (750ml).

        I was on Skype with Germany last night and the senior salesman friend
        replied "Kaufkraft ist nicht bei Gehalt angekommen , immer mehr Leute
        haben Schulden und wenig Geld" Purchasing power hasn't kept up with
        inflation, and more people are in debt and have less money.

        To back up the argument for statistics and perception, the NY Times
        recently published

        http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/business/worldbusiness/01middle.html

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
        wrote:

        > > that prices went up and also when we changed our weights
        > > and measures system to decimal that the same thing happened.
        >
        > Thanks for the examples, Nick. People are capable of projecting such
        > perceptions on other creatures, too. After Switzerland first adopted
        > daylight saving time in 1981, farmers swore that milk yield was
        > dropping. The cows must have all rushed to the village square to
        > check the church clock, and the Alpine grass never tasted the same.
        >

        > Martin
        >
        > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • skeeter
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2008
          For what it's worth, though somewhat unrelated, there was a push on here in the USA 30-some years ago to switch from the English measurement system to the Metric system. That never quite caught on. What did I get out of it? I had to buy two sets of tools. One metric for my Japanese motorcycles and German car, and one English for most everything else. I ws already savvy with the metric system (almost everything in the sciences was already measured in milliliters, centimeters, and the like). Now, if you don't know one from the other, you're out of luck.

          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2008
            > To back up the argument for statistics and perception

            Thanks, Ron. It was refreshing to see no blame on the euro for that.
            Since the collapse of communism, not only that part of the continent,
            but also Western Europe has been slowly moving towards the large gap
            between the top incomes and the middle- and lower-middle-class incomes
            that has been typical of the US. The American laborers' average
            purchasing power has been mostly oscillating rather than rising for
            about three decades now.

            The gap is already quite large in Slovakia -- fewer than 30% of the
            population, a large segment of them in Bratislava, have salaries above
            the country's average, 70% earn less than average salaries. A
            specific post-com situation that fosters social discontent is that,
            broken down by age groups, the highest average salaries are earned by
            the 30-34-year-old Slovaks. By comparison, the people in their 50s,
            whose incomes are the highest in most societies, which gives many of
            them a sense of accomplishment and deserved status, are making about
            10% less in Slovakia.

            At the same time, while the gap between the middle-class and the top
            earners has been opening faster in the post-com countries than in the
            older European democracies, the purchasing power of all the employed
            has been growing in Slovakia, and substantially so. A recent article
            has worked out that the Slovaks were able to buy about 6.2% more with
            their salaries by the end of 2007 than when the year began, an
            exceptional year, but part of a trend. Of course, that's not what the
            doom-and-gloom Slovaks say in opinion polls.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2008
              > To back up the argument for statistics and perception

              As to Slovakia, here are a few price-to-salary comparisons -- how much
              a given item cost a Slovak with the average income in 2007 by
              comparison to the same in 2002 (a minus means a drop):

              bread, butter: the same percentage of income as in 2002
              pork (a popular cut): -42%
              chicken: -31%
              beer: -23%
              TV: -65%
              small Skoda car: -33%
              bank account charges: +39%

              The Slovaks' rising incomes have substantially outpaced the rising
              prices of the listed items. On the other hand, an opinion poll among
              the gainsaying Slovaks might suggest that everything is 2-3 times more
              expensive now and that they are reduced to borrowing money to take the
              bus to work.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • skeeter
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                "The American laborers' average
                purchasing power has been mostly oscillating rather than rising for
                about three decades now."

                I was watching the news last night (I don't remember which network) and they said the average American CEO's salary has gone from 40-times the laborer's salary in 1980 to 433-times the laborer's salary today. The rich get richer, and the little guy gets screwed. That might explain some of it.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                  > the average American CEO's salary has gone from 40-times
                  > the laborer's salary in 1980 to 433-times the laborer's
                  > salary today.

                  Yes, Skeeter, that's part of the difference between the European and
                  American societies that I mentioned. That ratio has traditionally
                  been 1:10 to 1:20 in the European democracies, but it has started
                  moving faster in the direction of the US since the collapse of communism.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • Martin Votruba
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                    As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
                    Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                    x x x

                    EU: No Country But Slovakia Meets Euro Adoption Criteria

                    DOW JONES NEWSWIRES, 5/7/2008 -- No other country but Slovakia meets
                    the criteria for euro adoption, the European Commission said Wednesday
                    in its latest convergence report, giving a green light to Slovakia's
                    bid to join the euro zone.

                    The commission, the E.U.'s executive arm, along with the European
                    Central Bank, reports at least once every two years on the progress
                    made by E.U. member states in fulfilling obligations to achieve
                    economic and monetary union.

                    Slovakia received recommendation from the European Union Wednesday to
                    join the fifteen member state-strong euro-zone, and is lined-up to
                    become the fourth country in two years to join the club after Slovenia
                    did so on the first day of 2007. Cyprus and Malta entered at the
                    beginning of this year.

                    Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and the Baltic states of
                    Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia joined the E.U. along with Slovakia in
                    May 2004, while Romania and Bulgaria were the latest to join the
                    twenty-seven member free-trade block in January 2007.
                  • J Michutka
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                      So how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
                      jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur??? Or is it not declined, and
                      just remains "euro" regardless of number? And what do they call the
                      "cents" in Slovak?

                      I really miss having different and interesting monies from country to
                      country, but on the other hand, it will be so much easier....no
                      looking for a place to get the local currency every time I cross a
                      border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple currencies.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...

                      On May 7, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Martin Votruba wrote:

                      > As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
                      > Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.
                      >

                      > Martin

                    • skeeter
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                        It's not just in Europe. I've traveled to Canada (Canadian dollars) and Mexico (Pesos), and had a hassle converting them back into US dollars when I got home. I should have just kept them -- their currencies are much more attractive than ours.

                        So how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
                        jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur??? Or is it not declined, and
                        just remains "euro" regardless of number? And what do they call the
                        "cents" in Slovak?

                        I really miss having different and interesting monies from country to
                        country, but on the other hand, it will be so much easier....no
                        looking for a place to get the local currency every time I cross a
                        border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple currencies.

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...

                        On May 7, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Martin Votruba wrote:

                        > As expected the European Commission has recommended today that
                        > Slovakia adopt the euro on Jan. 1, 2009. A report is below.
                        >

                        > Martin

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                          > how is the word "euro" declined in Slovak--like mesto? e.g.
                          > jedno euro, dva eura' , sedem .... eur???

                          Yes, Julie (_dve_).

                          > And what do they call the "cents" in Slovak?

                          _Cent_ [tsent] (masc., hard pattern: 2 centy, 5 centov).

                          > no looking for a place to get the local currency every time
                          > I cross a border, or having to plan ahead and carry multiple

                          Since Slovakia is surrounded by countries that aren't meeting the
                          criteria, this will not be different any time soon for the Slovaks who
                          mostly travel to Poland, Hungary, and the Czech R. When they joined
                          the European Union in 2004, all three were saying they would adopt the
                          euro by 2009-2010, but have failed. The current very tentative
                          estimates are that they might meet the criteria to adopt the euro by:

                          Poland - 2012
                          Czech R. - 2012
                          Hungary - 2014

                          Only the Slovaks' second major summer destination, Greece, has the
                          euro, and Austria and the countries west of it (except Switzerland).

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu