Stewed Beefburgers

  • johnnadzam
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2008
      Hi Everyone!

      I'm a 70 year old neophyte in posting group messages, so please bear
      with me.

      Here's a great tasting and easy to prepare recipe for stewed burgers.

      I first tasted this dish in late 1955 when I hired in the J&L Steel
      Works Wire Mill in Aliquippa, PA at the young age of 18.

      The fellow who cooked the dish for us was Andy Liptak (Slovak)who is now
      deceased. It was a pleasure to have known and worked with this fine
      fellow.

      Following are the ingredients needed:

      * Ground Beef

      * Large Sweet Onions (Sliced)

      * Green Pepper (If Desired)

      * Ketchup (Medium Size Bottle...I prefer Heinz)

      * Water (Fill the Empty Ketchup Bottle)

      * Salt & Pepper To Taste

      Let's get started...(1) Form the ground beef into patties. Add a little
      salt & black pepper to the meat, or if you desire, some flavored bread
      crumbs . (2) Slice the onions and cover the bottom of the pot with at
      least 1 inch of sliced onions. You can never have too many onions for
      this dish. (3) Lay the beef patties on top of the sliced onions and
      cover with another layer of sliced onions. You can add another layer of
      patties and again top with more sliced onions. (4) Empty entire contents
      of the bottle of ketchup over the top of the burgers and onions. Use a
      larger bottle of ketchup if you add another layer of patties. (5) Fill
      the empty ketchup bottle with water, shake and add contents to the pot.
      You don't need much water as the onions will put out plenty of liquid as
      they cook. (6) Place a lid on the pot and simmer over a low flame until
      done.

      Hints: Use a heavy pot and place a heat dispenser under the pot to
      prevent burning the contents at the bottom. This is also a great dish
      for the slow cooker or crock pot.

      Although not necessary, some green pepper and a bay leaf can be added to
      the pot.

      Just wait until you smell and taste this dish along with a salad, mashed
      potatoes, and Italian bread.

      Take care everyone.

      John J. Nadzam

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2008

        Thanks, John, looks as if you are a fast learner.

        Again, welcome!

        Caye

[...]

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • skeeter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2008
          My mother used to make the same thing when I was a kid. She added an egg to the meat to help "bind" it. I've made it myself. In fact, I'm still using the same covered pan that she used. She got that as a wedding present in 1948. Still works fine for me. Sometimes the old things were the best things.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2008
            this sounds really, really good!? i'd be tempted to try it out in the slow cooker!!