Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Back to Food

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 81 , May 1, 2008

      This is just incredible -- the co-"oink"-ee-dink-al timing of it ...

      I was invited JUST YESTERDAY to a piggie roast in June -- alas I'll be in Israel and Turkey at the time, so cannot go, but I had to laugh at the way it came up right in the middle of this discussion. At first I thought they would be catering it; however, no, I was mistaken, they are cooking it in a pit -- which I'd really love to see, too bad. Maybe they'll capture it on video.

      Caye

      Message 81 of 81 , May 1, 2008
        Yes, the pig roast I went to out in Colorado had a small piggie, maybe 100lbs, but plenty for our gathering of about 50 people. A far cry from the 600lb hogs that my farmer-friend used to raise. Each year, they'd butcher one hog and one cow. That was meat for their family of four (and any guests) for a whole year. A portion of the meat went to the butcher as payment. That was the way people did business 40 years ago. I'm not sure if they do things like that any more. I do miss Herb & Luella's farm (they've long since passed away). 70 acres of prime farmland in central Ohio. We'd go hunting there with .22 rifles, mostly to get rid of the woodchucks/groundhogs/whistlepigs, whatever you want to call them, that were getting into the cornfields.

        Here in Florida when I was younger and my friends lived on ranches.... we would have a hog roast.. dig a pit.. get the coals going then place the hog (pig) in and cover with more coals and some dirt. let it roast all day like that and it came out tender and juicy. Rick Sonzella