Re: [Slovak-World] Food/Garden

  • skeeter
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2008
      Caye--

      "Cleveburg" is an apt name. I was talking with my friend about it today, and we both agreed that the Slavic Village section is all but dead. What a shame.

      Last time I went to Lehman's, they had some *gorgeous* porcelain-on-cast-iron stoves that were to die for, but at six grand and six hundred pounds, they're out of my league. My cheapie GE stove has been working for 30 years, and it's going to have to for a few more. $500 vs. $6000? As much as I like them, I just can't justify the price. I can make chlebova polevka, gulash, veprova pecene... shoot, pizza and spaghetti, Chinese stir-fried foods (I have a good wok) and lots of other things as well on the crummy old stove. There's always the grill, slow-cooker, and Coleman backpaking stove for fall-backs, too.

      Kindest regards and God bless,

      --skeeter

      From: skeeter <fbican@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Nexr,next kitchen idea
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 11:11 AM

      Thanks for the suggestion, Caye. I usually put a little applesauce in with my saurkraut, but I like Granny Smith apples, so that sounds like a good idea.

      Yes, I love going to Lehman's, too. Fortunately for me, it's only about an hour down the road (Rt. 94) from where I live. I enjoy going down there once in a while for three reasons: the people, the scenery, and Lehman's. I usually spend hours (and some money) there.

      Sometimes, I head east (also about an hour away) to another Amish enclave in Middlefield, Oh. The cheese co-op has the best cheese you'll ever have.

      http://www.middlefi eldcheese. com/

      From: skeeter <fbican@worldnet. att.net>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Nexr,next kitchen idea
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 12:05 AM

      I have a pound of pickled pork hocks and two pounds of saurkraut here, plus just about every dried herb and veggie known to man. My thoughts (like upthread), dump it all into the slowcooker and leave it there for hours. I've never made it before, and I have no idea if it's at all traditional, but it seems like it should be. Tell me if it sounds like something you'd like, or if I'm full of crap. It wouldn't be the first time that I though a few things down the garbage disposal.

      I know I ramble about food, but after you've been on cancer treatment and haven't been able to eat anything but liquid formula through a tube surgically-implante d in your belly for 5 months (I still have the tube, just in case), I can't begin to tell you how good REAL FOOD tastes again. Tonight's halusky was a little bit of heaven. And Tom -- I had a Straub (Pennsylvanian beer) and made a toast to you, your family, and Sharon's soul.

      Kindest regards and God bless,

      Skeeter

      Be a better friend, newshound, and