Re: [Slovak-World] in God we trust

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 3 3:36 PM
      Well they are not the same, so I and the rest of us know where you are coming from!

      Jim

    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 3 3:52 PM
        At 03:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

        >Jerko,
        >
        > I happen to be in the 86% group,

        Dear Jack S.,

        You sure fooled me. If you were right, Pewaukee would be without one and I
        haven't seen them advertising for one.

        > and just about all YOU do is tell others to shut up and sit down.

        Really? I don't recall doing so, but I'm happy YOU interpreted it that way.

        > Since the power is off in Bagdad tonight, and you answered my email, I
        > can only assume you dont believe in your own convictions enough to be a
        > human shield in Iraq.

        I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
        bombing of Iraq.

        Visualize whirled peas,

        Janko
      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 3 4:03 PM
          At 02:46 PM 4/3/2003 -0900, you wrote:
          >Allah or God or Jehovah, you will notice I capitalized it the one time I
          >intended to.
          >
          >Ron

          I understand Ron but to some money is God and not god.

          Janko
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 3 4:07 PM
            At 03:21 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

            >"If you agree, pass this on, if not delete..."
            >
            > No need for debate, as stated above, you have one of two choises.

            How gracious of you to provide us with "choises" mein Fuehrer.

            Sieg what the heil,

            Janko
          • capt jack
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 3 4:24 PM
              I know choises may confuse you, but try and work through it.

              Jim

            • capt jack
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 3 4:27 PM
                "I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                bombing of Iraq."

                Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!

                Jim

                '

              • David
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 3 6:13 PM
                  In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                  or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                  think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                  God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                  Dave
                  At 05:03 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                  >At 02:46 PM 4/3/2003 -0900, you wrote:
                  > >Allah or God or Jehovah, you will notice I capitalized it the one time I
                  > >intended to.
                  > >
                  > >Ron
                  >
                  >I understand Ron but to some money is God and not god.
                  >
                  >Janko

                • David
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 3 6:15 PM
                    You have to admit that this is a nice war...or as nice as wars can get. We,
                    the USA haven't used any napalm bombs. I do think war is getting more
                    civilized.
                    Dave
                    At 04:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                    >"I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                    >bombing of Iraq."
                    >
                    >Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!
                    >
                    >Jim
                    >
                    >'

                  • Jan Lan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 3 8:18 PM
                      At 04:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                      >"I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                      >bombing of Iraq."
                      >
                      >Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!
                      >
                      >Jim

                      Dear Jack S.

                      I knew I could depend upon a God fearing man like you to support the
                      disemboweling and dismemberment of those Iraqi heathens. I'm trying to get
                      a buy the bomb program going with a provision that would permit you or your
                      loved ones to designate the village or town you would like to cluster
                      bomb. They're probably fairly expensive (but a bargain compared to those
                      $600K cruise missiles), so you might want to get you church to sponsor a
                      drive to get the money to buy one or more. This would be a gift that keeps
                      on giving. I understand some of the bomblets (kind of cute name isn't it)
                      can go off years from now. Remember, "it takes a cluster bomb to raze a
                      village."

                      Liebe,

                      Janko
                    • Jan Lan
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 3 9:07 PM
                        At 09:15 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                        >You have to admit that this is a nice war...or as nice as wars can get. We,
                        >the USA haven't used any napalm bombs. I do think war is getting more
                        >civilized.
                        >Dave

                        Yep, if you've got the deep pockets for sophisticated weaponry and the
                        opposition has no Air Force, no Navy, primitive missiles, few and obsolete
                        tanks, artillery, etc and has a tin horn fading dictatorial regime at its
                        head (i.e. it's a world threatening nation). Try that with China, Russia,
                        etc. and see how nice the war would be. As far as napalm and cluster bombs
                        are concerned, take your pick. With one you're burned to a crisp and the
                        other you're blown to pieces. The propaganda chaps on both sides are
                        spinning as hard as they can to put the blame for civilian deaths on the
                        other side. Like other wars, it'll take at least a generation before a
                        plausible analysis of the war is arrived at.

                        Janko
                      • Jan Lan
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 3 11:03 PM
                          At 09:13 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                          >In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                          >or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                          >think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                          >God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                          >Dave

                          Better I should look it up:

                          http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_caps.html

                          Capitalize:

                          "The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
                          examples:

                          God the Father, the Virgin Mary, the Bible, Moses, Shiva, Buddha
                          Zeus, the Greek gods

                          Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."

                          example: The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god."

                          Some do capitalize the pronouns associated with God such as Him. His, etc.
                          (for a patriarchal deity)

                          "2. Capitalization of Pronouns Used for the Persons of the Trinity.
                          A secondary question concerns the capitalization of these words (as well as
                          the personal pronouns — “he, his, him, me, my, mine”) with reference to
                          God. To my knowledge the turn of the century (1901) American Standard Bible
                          was the first Bible translation to adopt this convention. The NASB
                          maintained this. This practice was taken over by various private Bible
                          translations; the Berkley Bible among others. ......... "

                          Janko
                        • Ron Matviyak
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 3 11:55 PM
                            Pozdrav Pan Boh!

                            Jim, so you have figured out where I come from? Perhaps not quite. Allah,
                            God and Jehovah give me no trouble in using, as I cannot accept that you or
                            I or our grandparents are condemned to a hell just because we use an
                            'incorrect' name. Certainly if our grandparents prayed to Boh and we to
                            God, and the name alone was all important, either we or our grandparents
                            would be damned. Nah, I cannot accept that. So I do not see Allah, God,
                            Boh or Jehovah as being more or less bohoru'havy' than any other.

                            Pan Boh uslys^!

                            Ron
                            PS Didn't a pope a few decades ago write an encyclical called 'Pachem in
                            Terrus'. Other than getting a Slavic 'pacha' mixed up with a Latin
                            'pachem', I do like the idea. Pardon the spelling!

                            > Well they are not the same, so I and the rest of us know where you are
                            coming from!

                            > Jim

                          • capt jack
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 4 12:53 PM
                              The differance is, You know the correct name. I understand the word game you are playing. I it is not my intention to enter into a religious discussion here on this list with you. If you truely do not know the truth and the word, then I will be happy help you understand the same if you write me privately.

                              jim

                            • David
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 4 4:22 PM
                                Yanko: That was one fine definition of when we capitalize the word god and
                                when we don't. Very good!

                                At 12:03 AM 4/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                                >At 09:13 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                > >In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                                > >or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                                > >think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                                > >God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                                > >Dave
                                >
                                >Better I should look it up:
                                >
                                > http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_caps.html
                                >
                                >Capitalize:
                                >
                                >"The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
                                >examples:
                                >
                                >God the Father, the Virgin Mary, the Bible, Moses, Shiva, Buddha
                                >Zeus, the Greek gods
                                >
                                >Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
                                >
                                >example: The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god."
                                >
                                >Some do capitalize the pronouns associated with God such as Him. His, etc.
                                >(for a patriarchal deity)
                                >
                                >"2. Capitalization of Pronouns Used for the Persons of the Trinity.
                                >A secondary question concerns the capitalization of these words (as well as
                                >the personal pronouns — “he, his, him, me, my, mine”) with reference to
                                >God. To my knowledge the turn of the century (1901) American Standard Bible
                                >was the first Bible translation to adopt this convention. The NASB
                                >maintained this. This practice was taken over by various private Bible
                                >translations; the Berkley Bible among others. ......... "
                                >
                                >Janko

                              • Jan Lan
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 4 4:29 PM
                                  Dave,