in God we trust

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
      It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very
      hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We
      Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't
      we just tell the 14% to shut up and sit down????

      If you agree, pass this on, if not delete...

    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
        At 11:17 AM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

        >It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very
        >hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We
        >Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't
        >we just tell the 14% to shut up and sit down????

        Dear Jack S.

        At least 14% of Americans are idiots yet the rest of us don't tell ya'll to
        shut up and sit down.

        Love

        Janko
      • Scott T. Mikusko
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
          I don't hear the 14% yelling about it too much. A couple people bring up
          the fact it's technically a violation of the Separation clause, and the
          more touchy of the 84% get their panties in a bunch about it.

          We aren't one nation under God, we're one nation under the Constitution to
          me more accurate. Or if you want to really make it noncontroversial, the
          Pledge should say "under Canada". :)

          Tak kde je slovensky obsah?

          -Scott

          On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, capt jack wrote:

          > It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very
          > hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We
          > Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't
          > we just tell the 14% to shut up and sit down????
          >
          > If you agree, pass this on, if not delete...

        • Jim M
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
            When was the phrase "under God" added to everything ?

            I don't hear the 14% yelling about it too much. A couple people bring up
            the fact it's technically a violation of the Separation clause, and the
            more touchy of the 84% get their panties in a bunch about it.

            We aren't one nation under God, we're one nation under the Constitution to
            me more accurate. Or if you want to really make it noncontroversial, the
            Pledge should say "under Canada". :)

            Tak kde je slovensky obsah?

            -Scott

            On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, capt jack wrote:

            > It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very
            > hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We
            > Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't
            > we just tell the 14% to shut up and sit down????
            >
            > If you agree, pass this on, if not delete...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17051035
            62:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=780720431>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Don Havlicek
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
              Jim,
              Those words were added by Congress to the 'Pledge of Allegiance' in 1954.
              Don Havlicek
              p.s. There is NO SEPARATION CLAUSE .. that was a figment of the
              imagination of the Supreme Court back in the 1960's !
              The Constitution only says that 'Congress may make no law' ...
              concerning the recognition of a particular religion or denying any.
              Please note .. CONGRESS .. the states were exempt back then, as Maryland
              was a Catholic state and other states had state religions.

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                and how about the coinage where it says "in God we trust " ?

                Jim M wrote:
                > When was the phrase "under God" added to everything ?

                l/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=912898694>

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                  This URL will answer your question:

                  http://www.religioustolerance.org/nat_mott.htm

                  Don Havlicek

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                    "If you agree, pass this on, if not delete..."

                    No need for debate, as stated above, you have one of two choises.

                    Jim

                  • capt jack
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                      Jerko,

                      I happen to be in the 86% group, and just about all YOU do is tell others to shut up and sit down. Since the power is off in Bagdad tonight, and you answered my email, I can only assume you dont believe in your own convictions enough to be a human shield in Iraq.

                      Jim

                    • Jan Lan
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                        At 04:26 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                        >When was the phrase "under God" added to everything ?

                        Never.

                        Janko
                      • capt jack
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                          "I am also old enough to remember the pledge without reference to
                          god, and find it quite acceptable as well."

                          Ahhhhhhhh Ron, thats God with a capital G please.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                            Well they are not the same, so I and the rest of us know where you are coming from!

                            Jim

                          • Ron Matviyak
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                              You offer no option for those of us who believe in God but also believe in
                              separation of church and state. Now if your god is money, I understand your
                              position. I am also old enough to remember the pledge without reference to
                              god, and find it quite acceptable as well.

                              Happily, I do not think 86% believe in inflicting their beliefs on one
                              another.

                              Ron
                              pass it on or delete it, as you wish. (I would assume most do not need those
                              instructions).

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                Allah or God or Jehovah, you will notice I capitalized it the one time I
                                intended to.

                                > "I am also old enough to remember the pledge without reference to
                                > god, and find it quite acceptable as well."
                                >
                                > Ahhhhhhhh Ron, thats God with a capital G please.
                                >
                                > Jim

                              • Jan Lan
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                  At 03:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                                  >Jerko,
                                  >
                                  > I happen to be in the 86% group,

                                  Dear Jack S.,

                                  You sure fooled me. If you were right, Pewaukee would be without one and I
                                  haven't seen them advertising for one.

                                  > and just about all YOU do is tell others to shut up and sit down.

                                  Really? I don't recall doing so, but I'm happy YOU interpreted it that way.

                                  > Since the power is off in Bagdad tonight, and you answered my email, I
                                  > can only assume you dont believe in your own convictions enough to be a
                                  > human shield in Iraq.

                                  I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                                  bombing of Iraq.

                                  Visualize whirled peas,

                                  Janko
                                • Jan Lan
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                    At 02:46 PM 4/3/2003 -0900, you wrote:
                                    >Allah or God or Jehovah, you will notice I capitalized it the one time I
                                    >intended to.
                                    >
                                    >Ron

                                    I understand Ron but to some money is God and not god.

                                    Janko
                                  • Jan Lan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                      At 03:21 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                                      >"If you agree, pass this on, if not delete..."
                                      >
                                      > No need for debate, as stated above, you have one of two choises.

                                      How gracious of you to provide us with "choises" mein Fuehrer.

                                      Sieg what the heil,

                                      Janko
                                    • capt jack
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                        I know choises may confuse you, but try and work through it.

                                        Jim

                                      • capt jack
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                          "I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                                          bombing of Iraq."

                                          Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!

                                          Jim

                                          '

                                        • David
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                            In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                                            or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                                            think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                                            God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                                            Dave
                                            At 05:03 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                                            >At 02:46 PM 4/3/2003 -0900, you wrote:
                                            > >Allah or God or Jehovah, you will notice I capitalized it the one time I
                                            > >intended to.
                                            > >
                                            > >Ron
                                            >
                                            >I understand Ron but to some money is God and not god.
                                            >
                                            >Janko

                                          • David
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                              You have to admit that this is a nice war...or as nice as wars can get. We,
                                              the USA haven't used any napalm bombs. I do think war is getting more
                                              civilized.
                                              Dave
                                              At 04:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                                              >"I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                                              >bombing of Iraq."
                                              >
                                              >Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!
                                              >
                                              >Jim
                                              >
                                              >'

                                            • Jan Lan
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                                At 04:27 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                                                >"I'm too busy trying to drum up a Christian coalition to support the cluster
                                                >bombing of Iraq."
                                                >
                                                >Ahhhhhhhhhh we do agree on something finally!!!!!!!!!
                                                >
                                                >Jim

                                                Dear Jack S.

                                                I knew I could depend upon a God fearing man like you to support the
                                                disemboweling and dismemberment of those Iraqi heathens. I'm trying to get
                                                a buy the bomb program going with a provision that would permit you or your
                                                loved ones to designate the village or town you would like to cluster
                                                bomb. They're probably fairly expensive (but a bargain compared to those
                                                $600K cruise missiles), so you might want to get you church to sponsor a
                                                drive to get the money to buy one or more. This would be a gift that keeps
                                                on giving. I understand some of the bomblets (kind of cute name isn't it)
                                                can go off years from now. Remember, "it takes a cluster bomb to raze a
                                                village."

                                                Liebe,

                                                Janko
                                              • Jan Lan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                                  At 09:15 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                                  >You have to admit that this is a nice war...or as nice as wars can get. We,
                                                  >the USA haven't used any napalm bombs. I do think war is getting more
                                                  >civilized.
                                                  >Dave

                                                  Yep, if you've got the deep pockets for sophisticated weaponry and the
                                                  opposition has no Air Force, no Navy, primitive missiles, few and obsolete
                                                  tanks, artillery, etc and has a tin horn fading dictatorial regime at its
                                                  head (i.e. it's a world threatening nation). Try that with China, Russia,
                                                  etc. and see how nice the war would be. As far as napalm and cluster bombs
                                                  are concerned, take your pick. With one you're burned to a crisp and the
                                                  other you're blown to pieces. The propaganda chaps on both sides are
                                                  spinning as hard as they can to put the blame for civilian deaths on the
                                                  other side. Like other wars, it'll take at least a generation before a
                                                  plausible analysis of the war is arrived at.

                                                  Janko
                                                • Jan Lan
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                                    At 09:13 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                                    >In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                                                    >or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                                                    >think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                                                    >God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                                                    >Dave

                                                    Better I should look it up:

                                                    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_caps.html

                                                    Capitalize:

                                                    "The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
                                                    examples:

                                                    God the Father, the Virgin Mary, the Bible, Moses, Shiva, Buddha
                                                    Zeus, the Greek gods

                                                    Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."

                                                    example: The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god."

                                                    Some do capitalize the pronouns associated with God such as Him. His, etc.
                                                    (for a patriarchal deity)

                                                    "2. Capitalization of Pronouns Used for the Persons of the Trinity.
                                                    A secondary question concerns the capitalization of these words (as well as
                                                    the personal pronouns — “he, his, him, me, my, mine”) with reference to
                                                    God. To my knowledge the turn of the century (1901) American Standard Bible
                                                    was the first Bible translation to adopt this convention. The NASB
                                                    maintained this. This practice was taken over by various private Bible
                                                    translations; the Berkley Bible among others. ......... "

                                                    Janko
                                                  • Ron Matviyak
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 3, 2003
                                                      Pozdrav Pan Boh!

                                                      Jim, so you have figured out where I come from? Perhaps not quite. Allah,
                                                      God and Jehovah give me no trouble in using, as I cannot accept that you or
                                                      I or our grandparents are condemned to a hell just because we use an
                                                      'incorrect' name. Certainly if our grandparents prayed to Boh and we to
                                                      God, and the name alone was all important, either we or our grandparents
                                                      would be damned. Nah, I cannot accept that. So I do not see Allah, God,
                                                      Boh or Jehovah as being more or less bohoru'havy' than any other.

                                                      Pan Boh uslys^!

                                                      Ron
                                                      PS Didn't a pope a few decades ago write an encyclical called 'Pachem in
                                                      Terrus'. Other than getting a Slavic 'pacha' mixed up with a Latin
                                                      'pachem', I do like the idea. Pardon the spelling!

                                                      > Well they are not the same, so I and the rest of us know where you are
                                                      coming from!

                                                      > Jim

                                                    • capt jack
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
                                                        The differance is, You know the correct name. I understand the word game you are playing. I it is not my intention to enter into a religious discussion here on this list with you. If you truely do not know the truth and the word, then I will be happy help you understand the same if you write me privately.

                                                        jim

                                                      • David
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
                                                          Yanko: That was one fine definition of when we capitalize the word god and
                                                          when we don't. Very good!

                                                          At 12:03 AM 4/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                                                          >At 09:13 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                                          > >In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
                                                          > >or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
                                                          > >think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
                                                          > >God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
                                                          > >Dave
                                                          >
                                                          >Better I should look it up:
                                                          >
                                                          > http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_caps.html
                                                          >
                                                          >Capitalize:
                                                          >
                                                          >"The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
                                                          >examples:
                                                          >
                                                          >God the Father, the Virgin Mary, the Bible, Moses, Shiva, Buddha
                                                          >Zeus, the Greek gods
                                                          >
                                                          >Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."
                                                          >
                                                          >example: The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god."
                                                          >
                                                          >Some do capitalize the pronouns associated with God such as Him. His, etc.
                                                          >(for a patriarchal deity)
                                                          >
                                                          >"2. Capitalization of Pronouns Used for the Persons of the Trinity.
                                                          >A secondary question concerns the capitalization of these words (as well as
                                                          >the personal pronouns — “he, his, him, me, my, mine”) with reference to
                                                          >God. To my knowledge the turn of the century (1901) American Standard Bible
                                                          >was the first Bible translation to adopt this convention. The NASB
                                                          >maintained this. This practice was taken over by various private Bible
                                                          >translations; the Berkley Bible among others. ......... "
                                                          >
                                                          >Janko

                                                        • Jan Lan
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 4, 2003
                                                            Dave,